199B Swing Arm

bondy

hello all my swing arm on my 199B has no bracket for the top chain sliper looks like its been taken off at some time in its life. there is thick rubber wrapt around the boss its doing the job but as started to rub throw. as anybody any ideas on how to replace it with out taking the swing arm off? hears a photo

Easiest way in my experience is a garden house, the older Sherpas did not have any rubber to protect the swing arm or chain, my solution is seen here:

Cut off around 20 - 30 cm (*) of the garden hose, then cut the hose in longitudinal direction, wrap it around the swing arm and fasten it with a hose clamp,

see in the picture below, (the yellow plastic):

175%2527er%2520Bultaco%252004.jpg

(*)

The house have to be so long that you can fasten the hose clamb behind the reinforcement plates.

What I do on a friends Pursang`s and his old Sherpa`s is just zip tie and glue a piece of rubber where the chain runs. I have been using rubber which has some kind of stringy stuff in it about 5mm or a quarter of an inch thick. If you do it neatly it looks fine and works as well. Graham.

Hi Bondy. I just use normal contact cement. Work out where you want the rubber to go and put glue on both parts and wait for it to go tacky then stick it together. Some of the brands are Tarzans Grip, Bear Cement and there are a lot of other brands. Just try and use a good one. It might also help to just give the side if the rubber you are glueing a slight sand with some coarse sandpaper. Graham.

cheers Graham ill look out for some cement. as for the pre 65 plastic chain slipper i was thinking off buying 1 but i dont think it will stay on unless i drill a small hole into the swind Arm.and use a self tap screw but i dont want to start drilling holes in the swing Arm as you probley know there hard to replace. so ill try the cement first the slippers last years before they need changing also theres rubber already wrapt around the boss ive tryed it and it sits nice on top cheers guys. oh Graham if i did ever what to take the slipper off whats the cement like to take off?

hello pigbog no the 199B should be the same as your 198B but my 199B has been moded i could take the swing Arm off but am not going to id have to have it powder coated. my other 199B and 198B have the bracket same as yours. theres a few ways i can sort it with out taking it off. 1 is to leave it as it is with the rubber thats been wrapt around the boss. 2 is to have a U shaped made to house the slipper i could selfe tape this on with out the need of welding or i could glue it on as Graham said. i could get a nice neat U shaped piece made and would do the job well but this would mean drilling 2 small holes into the swing Arm wich i didnt really want to do but i sopose 2 small hole wount do any damage. its not a big issue as the bike dosant get hammerd. thanks for the photo. ive just put new piston in my 199B its under going a small restore including forks rechromed exhaust repacked. new tyres.

By the way Bondy, slightly off topic but you know I said I couldn't get mine to run right? Turns out the new condensor I fitted (along with points, LT coil, HT coil..) was a duff one - fitted another one and she's running perfect! Just goes to show that because something's new doesn't mean that it actually works........

As an aside have you ever put a 175 frame next to a 350? there is quite a difference in size, (note swinging arm in picture), top tube is 25mm smaller in length and lower too.

The frame of the 175cc model is in fact a little "tinier" in the dimension of the tubes then the of the later 350cc like the 199A, ..., but not much. The main dimension looks like they are pretty identical, this model is more or less a downtuned 250cc model 182 / 190 as the 175cc Sherpa use the same attachment parts like the bigger displacements bikes.