Old Bultaco

jlp

Hello Guys,

Getting kinda back in gear after second knee replacement. Cleaned and scrubbed down the frame with stuff called Phos-Kleen surface preparation and then painted it with silver Epoxy Mastic 121. Not that happy with the result, some brush marks, probably didn't use enough thinners, I'm not great with paint anyway. Tips on brush painting welcome even at this late stage! Have to wait two weeks for it to cure and then I'll rub it down and try again. Ho, Hum!

(Think's,) must get the fork tubes up to the chrome people.

Larry 2.

Larry, glad to see your back and going again.

Cant give you any help on brush painting as I gave up on that because I couldn't brush anything period!!

I generally powder coat as I cant get a frame ready to paint, but if I did paint it would have to be sprayed

in some manner.

Good luck

Larry

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Sent off the fork tubes for hard chroming. They're due for collection this week, hope they work out. I'll post pics so you guys can tell me what you think.

Another area I need some guidance on is the fibreglass tank. It has multiple star cracks which have to be dealt with. Any advice on the way to repair these would be welcome.

Also, would you guys recommend replacing the fuel filler cap with an original type (if available)

Ta, in advance.

Larry 2.

post-20650-0-79444400-1453152359_thumb.jpg

post-20650-0-03088800-1453152378_thumb.jpg

post-20650-0-26833700-1453152395_thumb.jpg

• Grind out the cracks with a dremel or similar, hollow out the crack area to make a slight concave using sanding discs, lay in suitable glass mat to cover the crack and thoroughly apply resin, making sure there are no air bubbles, repeat as needed. When you are hollowing out, make sure you go past the end of the crack otherwise it will start again. Fill with bondo and re profile.

Plan B wold be to try using some low viscosity epoxy (check out the boat fibreglassing sites)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eggAzL9oQxg

Those cracks in your photos are only in the gel coat (not structural) so you can either redo the gel coat (lots of work) or just fill the cracks and paint the tank. Painting is the most popular approach and if done properly can give a finish that looks very much like the original, if that is what you want.

I would recommend coating the inside surfaces with low viscosity epoxy resin (available from boat shops) to reseal it. Fibreglass tanks that old are usually suffering from surface breakdown inside and outside, and modern fuels are not kind to polyester resin (which is what it is made from). If it looks a bit hairy inside that is from the glass fibres becoming exposed as the resin breaks down

If you want the gel coat (the outside of the tank) repaired, a fibreglass boat builder or a surfboard builder would have the skills to do it.

As for the fuel cap, that cap is a good talking point for people looking at the bike, but if you want it to look original, the fuel cap is a very important visual element. Original caps are available second hand but are quite expensive. The aluminium part that the cap screws into could be easily made on a lathe or donated from another old Bultaco tank. There may be a bit of intricate fibreglassing required to restore the tank where that flip-top cap has been fitted

Thanks Guys,

I'm going to start work on sealing the inside of the tank first. I may consider getting a professional to finish the outside. The bike came to me many years ago with the cap fitted, I'm not sure why.

thanks again,

Larry 2.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Jlpar

and#160;

I have an original parts book (Series 2) that I scanned and saved as a pdf. A few years ago I did post this on another site so is available on the web but I can send you a copy. Please PM me your email address if you would like this.

and#160;

I think it is out of copyright!

and#160;

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

There is a common misunderstanding of the basic copyright laws.  Firstly copyright extends until seventy years AFTER the death of the copyright holder.  Secondly copyright law only protects the original owner from people profiting by copying original work. Since you appear to be giving a copy away and not making any financial gain, it would cost more to try to take the issue to litigation than you would be likely to gain........

The difference comes if you make copies then offer them for sale, or copy photographs and include them in books or magazines that are offered for sale...............or use them to sponsor a reputation that gains you employment,

Edited by laird387

I received that parts book which Stuart kindly sent me. It will prove very useful as time goes on. And time will go on, you know what they say, big bodies move slowly!

There has been no ensuing litigation so far! 

Larry 2.

• 1 month later...

Hello guys,

Finally got the fork tubes hard chromed!  I think they look pretty good.

I think I'll have to do some bloody work soon!

Larry 2.

post-20650-0-44935800-1457562382_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Just gave the tank to a pro for restoration.

Dealing with it myself would be beyond my ability I think, and I might make a mess.

He reckons about two to three weeks. Fingers crossed!

Larry2.

• Like 4