Montesa 4Rt?

throttlejokey

G'day Stkman,

So I didnt have it quite right? Components changed at 700 hrs... not still in cupboard. I have 25 hrs on my Cota so have a bit to go!

What signalled the new stuff? Did you do a compression test and it was dropping? Leak down test?

Where the valve ground and seats recut?

Its a great testament to Honda trials motor running 700 hrs on original topend! And...1100 now on the rest.

Mags

Hi Mags,

Was running fine, a little tick from valve clearances. Just decided to do it so bought lots of parts, dropped engine off and picked up a while later. Valves perfect, cam chain plenty of life left, just ended up as piston and rings. Valve seals because we had them. Bore perfect, had worn through Teflon on the tiny piston skirts so could see the aluminium. Started 3rd kick after and was like a sewing machine. The mechanic just couldn't believe it - said it was a really good simple design in his opinion (loved the roller cam followers which are simple to adjust). Quieter and a bit crisper was the result.

I put a new plug in every 100 hours after I got odd stalling and realised the plug had been in for 300 hours. Would love a 2014 or 2015 but my 2005 will have to do for a while longer.

Andrew

• Like 3

I sold my 07 three years ago and it is still going strong, I bought a 2014 after trying one a few weeks ago and what swung it for me was the fact it felt so much like my 1000+ hours 07 bike, not many other models could do that. I have a few mates with 4rt's along with my brother who has an 05 that simply have no interest in a 2014 bike as theirs do just as good a job. I do like some of the changes on 14, the bike revs more freely, and pulls 4th very easily from nothing.

Edited by the addict

I sold my 07 three years ago and it is still going strong. I do like some of the changes on 14, the bike revs more freely, and pulls 4th very easily from nothing.

I too sold an '07 (<300 hours) and upgraded to a '14 (60 hours on it). The '14 has a mid range that pulls long and hard and the front definitely feels lighter; Alu forks help as does the change in steering geometry that took place around '09).

Before the '07 left to its new owner, I had the two running side by side. Putting an ear close to the top end surprised me – they sounded so similar. Photo below shows an expert ear listening for, but failing to find, piston slap, bearing failure, stretched cam chain, lose tappets, or twisted valves.

IMG_5273-Version2.jpg

Edited by ross brown
  • Like 3

Yet another 4RT assistant. This time of the aforementioned 1100 hour 2005 model. Assistant not much good at diagnosing bike issues but superb at chewing right through the original '05 rear guard hence the '09 plastics ...

4RTplusassistant_zps3edc5122.jpg

Andrew

Edited by stkman