Montesa 4Rt?

throttlejokey

everyone seems to have good things to say about them one gentlemen has done four Scottish six days without any trouble other makes and models wouldn't be able to manage that .for what I do easy course/pay and play think they will be ideal for me .I just wanted to no if there was any problems etc to avoid buying a bad bike many thanks

Maintenance is the key word, when buying ask the owner how often they change the oil and filter, ask how they do it, if they've never done it, they won't know the technique required!!!

• Like 3

I think Honda are a bit over zealous with their service estimations, who realistically takes their engine apart to check piston rings every 15hrs. Surely stripping it down that often will do more harm than good.

Mine did over 250 hard hours in 1 year, and it did another 5 years after that before anything engine wise was replaced, it only had the engine done because I had the generator cover welded and it sealed a oilway up and starved the top end of oil. Expensive welding job!!

• Like 3

I think Honda are a bit over zealous with their service estimations, who realistically takes their engine apart to check piston rings every 15hrs. Surely stripping it down that often will do more harm than good.

Mine did over 250 hard hours in 1 year, and it did another 5 years after that before anything engine wise was replaced, it only had the engine done because I had the generator cover welded and it sealed a oilway up and starved the top end of oil. Expensive welding job!!

What about the clutch you put into it in Parc Ferme??? Who's was it??

Maintenance is the key word, when buying ask the owner how often they change the oil and filter, ask how they do it, if they've never done it, they won't know the technique required!!!

Is there a special technique other than removing the magneto cover to change the oil filter?

• Like 1

Is there a special technique other than removing the magneto cover to change the oil filter?

Not that I'm aware of... I do engine oil around 10 hrs running and oil and filter at 20 hrs. Gearbox at 15 or so. Mine does lead a charmed life in Novice Class. Best thing I did was fit a self-powered hour meter.

Mags

• Like 1

Not that I'm aware of... I do engine oil around 10 hrs running and oil and filter at 20 hrs. Gearbox at 15 or so. Mine does lead a charmed life in Novice Class. Best thing I did was fit a self-powered hour meter.

Mags

Got one for my new 4RT too, which is also a rev counter for setting the idle speed.

Just don`t put the filter in backwards.

My point is, the filter doesn't come out, or go in easily due to the flywheel and needs to be persuaded to go in, if you know what I mean. Anyway, the point shedracer was making is gone by the way now, hasn't it, never mind.

Top ends don't last my ass. Mine has literally thousands of hours on it, and still runs very strong. The PO rode it pretty hard, and I've not been too kind to it either. Regular oil & filter changes, and keep and eye on the valve adjustment (although mine has not slipped out of adjustment....ever). As others have stated, it's a Honda. Love it a little, and it will love you long time!

BTW mine is an '05, ridden, worn, and bashed here in the wild, wild west.

SanYsidro2014041_zpsf06bdb34.jpg

Edited by brewtus
  • Like 4