Acu Fees

dopey66

Trials doesnt matter if ACU or AMCA are incredible value for money. Look at the price of a round of golf or going to a football match. Cant get my head around it when people moan about entry fees, which are less than you would spend going to the pub etc, then go and spend over £6K on a bike of £130 on a pair of footrests but if a club tries to balance the books oh boy moan moan moan . How many of the moaners also tramp around in the rain with a bag of flags or negotiate with landowners or miss Sunday dinner because they have to do the results, maintain website, send e mails etc. YOU get all this and a days sport and change from a twenty pound note ??? Bloody ridiculous.

• Like 9

I've been trials secretary for Lancs County for the past 15 years, but for New Year's Day I also set out the trial for the first time for many a long year. Not complaining, it's my choice.

Sunday Dec 28, walk round venue with three helpers and bags of sticks marking out ten sections.

Monday Dec 29 Laminate section begins and ends and signs for the trial.

Wednesday Dec 31 Walk round venue checking sections, making a few changes and putting up last of flags between sections.

Thursday Jan 1 Panic! Heavy overnight rain, thawing ground and rain at the start, talk to landowner who agrees trial can go-ahead. Take 83 entries whilst helpers do their best to park all the vans in a limited space. Ask treasurer to find 10 observers, which she does. Ride trial. Assist in clearing up course. Pay landowner and caterer. Get home, wash bike, have a shower, with assistance of wife put together a results sheet which is on the club website by 7.20pm.

Monday Jan 5 count money, fill in forms for ACU and produce a trial balance sheet, put pictures from trial onto website

Tuesday Jan 6 empty bags containing section pegs, wash them, clean off begins and ends and wash observers boards and ready them for next trial, deliver cash and paperwork to treasurer.

And I'm not complaining as I'm happy to do it. But its totally voluntary and there's no expenses to assist with fuel etc.

And I've only set out the one trial, the other club members who set out the other events through the year are equally enthusiastic, so I think the £17 pound entry fee is simply peanuts for what every rider gets out of it.

• Like 6

• 5 weeks later...

I've been trials secretary for Lancs County for the past 15 years, but for New Year's Day I also set out the trial for the first time for many a long year. Not complaining, it's my choice.

Sunday Dec 28, walk round venue with three helpers and bags of sticks marking out ten sections.

Monday Dec 29 Laminate section begins and ends and signs for the trial.

Wednesday Dec 31 Walk round venue checking sections, making a few changes and putting up last of flags between sections.

Thursday Jan 1 Panic! Heavy overnight rain, thawing ground and rain at the start, talk to landowner who agrees trial can go-ahead. Take 83 entries whilst helpers do their best to park all the vans in a limited space. Ask treasurer to find 10 observers, which she does. Ride trial. Assist in clearing up course. Pay landowner and caterer. Get home, wash bike, have a shower, with assistance of wife put together a results sheet which is on the club website by 7.20pm.

Monday Jan 5 count money, fill in forms for ACU and produce a trial balance sheet, put pictures from trial onto website

Tuesday Jan 6 empty bags containing section pegs, wash them, clean off begins and ends and wash observers boards and ready them for next trial, deliver cash and paperwork to treasurer.

And I'm not complaining as I'm happy to do it. But its totally voluntary and there's no expenses to assist with fuel etc.

And I've only set out the one trial, the other club members who set out the other events through the year are equally enthusiastic, so I think the £17 pound entry fee is simply peanuts for what every rider gets out of it.

There is so much that goes on behind the scenes of a large trials club, Most riders don't realize quite how much but a large percentage appreciate what we do and are always sure to thank after every trial.

Add the nightmare of sorting dates so they don't clash with other clubs, applying for the permits and writing the report for the tmx, It still doesn't cover all the work that goes into keeping a club going.

I think sorting flags is the worst job and fishing about the bags for the start and ends cards, Takes me 2 hours after a muddy trial.

As others have said and most of the trials community will agree, Trials, Compared to other motorcycle sports is outstanding value for money.

It's a shame but every sport has its moaners, Just need to bite our lips and not take it to heart.

• Like 1

#8 hillary the landowner has asked if you can pop up with a spade and fill in some ruts?

You seem the man for the job? :popcorn:

Sterling work form the few that help make club trials a success I said once to a moaner once who complained about the sections that I didn't see him there yesterday when we were setting up, but look forward to seeing him on the Saturday prior to our next trial?

• Like 2

#8 hillary the landowner has asked if you can pop up with a spade and fill in some ruts?

You seem the man for the job? :popcorn:

Sterling work form the few that help make club trials a success I said once to a moaner once who complained about the sections that I didn't see him there yesterday when we were setting up, but look forward to seeing him on the Saturday prior to our next trial?

I guess all the clubs are in the same boat, small group of dedicated people who work hard for their club.

To be honest it does get messy having too many people especially when setting out, However you plan it, Sections end up all over the place and it takes twice as long as alterations need to be made.

The thing is It's always nice for people to show an interest and offer to help. When it comes to picking up flags it's always the same faces that do it while many riders are already at home with a cup of tea.

I'm not moaning, I volunteer to do this and enjoy it along with the rest of the committee and chairman of our club, Were not wanting a knighthood or recognition. We just want the odd few to not moan about the sections.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

http://listings.findthecompany.co.uk/l/167143144/Northern-Centre-A-C-U-Limited-in-Kendal-United-Kingdom

See the above £81,000 net assets.

I do not know what these assets are or if they are available to spend on land for MX or trials. What I have been told by what I believe to be reliable sources are that quite a few clubs are sat on quite a lot of money. Those who have told me this are of the opinion the money should have been spent on land and tracks.

Over the years I have given quite a bit of time (and am happy to do so) to observing, setting out, collecting in and flag making and a bit of secretarial work.

It would perhaps be a good idea if results sheets had a breakdown of where the money went, EG

Payment to landowner(s)

ACU fee

Insurance

Flag / consumable costs

Club funds

Observer food / gifts.

I ask that organisers keep entry fees to the absolute minimum. As my forum name suggests it is not only my entry fee I have to find. Despite being relatively comfortable financially I have not entered as many events as I might had the fees been lower, multiply everything by 3 and the sport becomes quite expensive. I know of other families in the same situation and frequently the preference is a days practising with friends rather than entering an event.

I also know of some dissatisfaction at fee levels for nationals where the clubman fee is the same as the national championship fee. The response of some clubmen (who could easily afford the championship fee) is to ride elsewhere or practice instead as they resent this, particularly as they fee they are used as "slime scrubbers" as well. "Fook that for a bunch of coconuts" was the actual phrase used.