Observing

proc

Haven't had much to do with adult trials since the lad was old enough to ride.decided to go observe at my local trial today and was shocked by the number of people on last lap who just rode through section without so much as a grunt, and it wasn't the kids it was the 20-30 somethings. Yeah the weather was shocking and everyone was soaked but a thanks goes a long way at the end of the day, I'm ashamed to class my self in that age bracket!

• Like 5

well total opposite at yorks classic today. i went to spectate for an hour whilst my lunch was prepared but picked up a board at a section where riders were doing thier own scores.. every single rider stopped , said hello some even shook my hand and wished me a happy new year spot on

I always try to thank every observer on my last loop, If I forget it could upset the trials gods (and the observers too, don't want to make them angry then we would have to score ourselves and that would be like work.....eeewwww)

It is true just a simple "Thank you for observing today" will go a long way to keep observers coming back.

It let's them know you appreciate them standing around and watching YOU have FUN all day with no reward to the observers.

• Like 4

When I used to ride all the time always made sure I either said thanks before riding section for last time or screamed it while clinging on for dear life midway through, if my 6 year old can do it I'm sure "adults" can. I don't mind observing as I like to think it's my little way of giving something back was just shocked

my friend and i ( both 15 ) always take time to stop and say thank you and have a general chat, in fact this is the case with everyone at the local clubs we ride at. its just plain rude not to even say anything! always got to have abit of banter with the observers! ;)

after all they are out there helping the clubs in all weather conditions. without them the clubs would struggle. there not there to make money they are there to have a good afternoon and enjoy watching the riding and help out to try and keep this dwindling sport going. believe it or not i have observed a few times haha .

• Like 3

Yup, I always make a point of it. Learned that thats what you do at my first trial when I was yobby 17yr old and 30 yrs later still do it as a matter of habbit, and gratitude.

I recently soaked some poor young chap cleaning my rear tyre in a stream and hadn't noticed him pull up behind. I was mortified, I appologised emphatically and repeated my appology several times through the trial when I saw him. Weeks on and he still blanks me and looks the other way. Now when I say drowned it was just a minor shower really. I.m a regular guy on the scene and I would like to think, well liked. I don't get the attitude of some of the youngsters. If it were me, I would have laughed and made another mate. Go figure. Yes it was bad form but it was not done deliberately.

G

I'm not trying to tar everyone with the same brush I've been invovled in the sport for the last 20 or so years, had some heated arguments while observing with riders mainly at some of the nationals had some belting craic too all I was getting at was I could've expected it from the stroppy hormonal teens