4Rt Quality ?

hannu

jrsunt . would agree to a degree. But what i'm going to do is write a letter to Honda and see what they have to say as there may be a fix that is available.Will go about thing's the right way though just to test the water.The thing is if no body say's something then it goes on and quite honestly ,some of the thing's i've read on here regarding quallity with different brands,well it's a bit cack to say the least,that we allow it to go on.

Not being daft and don't expect every thing to be faultless but the clutch problem has really p****d me off.

Hi guys,ive tried every oil there is available and the best rersults i've had are with GRO and Putoline Nanotech. How's the Repsol ? With the HTX that the bike comes with the take up on engagement is snappier,not a problem .

For the price the GRO is the best one,but the Nano has the best cold release. The guy wuo runs H&D racing puts engine oil in his Mont and has no trouble ,but he's bikes an older model with different clutch.

Any way to get back to it,the point i'm trying to make is at getting on for £6000 for a new base model bike with the 4rt reputation it should have quallity well and truley nailed.

• Like 2

Shyted,

From what you described in post #13 with hot disengagement problems, I'd agree with jrsunt that there's something uniquely wrong with your clutch, or clutch actuation.

The only change to the 4RT clutch I'm aware of was the paper friction plates in 2007 (2005-6 used part # 22201-MEL-000, 2007- present use part # 22201-NN4-B00). The two cork friction plates, steel plates, clutch hub, pressure plate, basket, cover & slave cylinder assembly are all the same 2005 - present. There was a change in the master cylinder with the 2014, but those seem to be working alright for the most part.

As for the side stand, the aluminum version sold as a Mitani part is excellent -- lighter, stays in place until it's moved (if you don't like the side stand snapping up by itself), supports the bike much better in sand or wind, and the tip is raised so it doesn't snag on rocks. Yes, I think Honda should change to something similar for us riders who don't have lots of handy places to lean our bike, or someone to hold it, while walking sections.

Edited by sportsawyer

Yep on the side stand ,it is excellent . Bought one from Sandiford's Montesa

Got to say Gas Gas can throw thier stands in the bin too because they arn't worth a blow on a rag and bone mans trumpet either.

Do you have rag and bone men in Utha sportsawyer ?

Hey mags , i'm going to investigate further when i eventually get off this place , Getting lashed by massive waves and high winds just now and the whole joint is swaying everywhere,and im 3 day's over my trip already and tomorrows the same again.

Will post the response i get from Honda see what they have to say. Think i can guess but at least it will be interesting.Will post it right here.

Ted

• Like 1

Well now into the third week and the steering head dust covers / seals are still on back order!!! that's three weeks with the bike in bits in the garage and its not a year old yet !

Honda this is just not good enough :wall:

• Like 1

.... the steering head dust covers / seals are still on back order! ...

Don't know if this will help, but the steering head bearings and seals for the 2014 4RTs are the same as an XR400. The Montesa part number for the top seal is 53214-KCY-670, but this has been superceded by 53214-KCY-671 (same part specifications coming from a new supplier). The bottom seal 53214-KA4-701 is also used by many other Honda street and dirt models.

I personally don't care for the cheap Chinese aftermarket seal & bearing sets, but I'd guess an XR400 steering head set is readily available. You also might want to check Honda shops for the newer 53214-KCY-671 top seal number.

Edited by sportsawyer
  • Like 2

Well now into the third week and the steering head dust covers / seals are still on back order!!! that's three weeks with the bike in bits in the garage and its not a year old yet !

Honda this is just not good enough :wall:

That's not normal, here in Belgium almost all Montesa parts I ever needed, could be delivered the next day.

Had a thought on the way home this morning about the clutch.Where's the slave cylinder? answer ,in the clutch cover bathed in red hot oil. Boil brake fluid in the system,what happens Brake fade ! Maybe that's the same process what's going on in the clutch slave. Hence the problem coming when the bikes hot.

The clutch just isn't operating !

maybe the fluid is just not so good.

Hey hannu ,i've spoken to you at Arkhome i think

Edited by shyted

Don't think the clutch oil gets hot enough to cause brake oil in the clutch slave to boil. (boiling point is between 180°C wet and 260°C dry)

That said, Bou's bike has the clutch slave on the other side of the engine, mounted on the outside. I'm sure there's a good reason for that.