Throttle Setup

malcolm

Malcolm disconnect the cable from both ends. Slide the rubber boot from the twist grip end along to the end of the cable and hold vertically so it acts like a funnel. Fill with wd40 and work cable back and forth until wd40 runs out of the other end. This will make a noticeable difference to throttle action

The spring keeps the slide from bouncing around and causing self actuation. I'd be real hesitant to mess with it. Of course someone could have fitted a heavier spring. Try another with the same model carb to see if it feels the same.

As above make sure the bar is clean under the throttle tube, lube or replace cable an make sure the routing isn't pinching it anywhere. Note that most modern cables have a Teflon inner sheath and don't require lube so if you see a significant difference with lube it's probably time for a new cable. Make sure the slide is operating properly. It should snap back with a THWOCK sound when you let go of the throttle. A clean carb is a happy carb. Make sure the throttle is not mounted on the bar in such a way that the end of the grip is binding on the end of the bar. Lube the pully wheel in the twist grip. There could also be assembly issues with the carb. If someone didn't assemble it properly something could be binding.

It is a simple system but also delicate.

Could be me but I've never felt the need to cut the spring.
Just keep everything in perfect working order and don't hesitate to fit a new throttle cable.

Well I suppose if you're just flag dancing a throttle spring that's too strong & gives you wrist ache is going to be hardly noticeable.

Sorry, I've never danced properly in my life, and certainly not with a flag in my hands :-), but been riding motorcycles all my life and never had wrist ache.

Like I said, could be me.