Help Swapped From Gas Gas To 4Rt

toneh

The raptor footrests and hangers are also approximately 35mm further to the rear axle than standard which tends to lighten the front end and move rider weight to the rear.

Good luck.

I suppose you've got a shorter brake pedal with that, or do you have extremely large feet?  :)

It took me a while in the mud but would never go back, don't underestimate first gear, if you Rev it hard enough it will go up most things, definitely takes a bit to learn though.

I had to hook 2nd on Thursday for a section? unheard of!!!! rev its nuts off and feed the clutch in steady for the first 6 foot or so and keep it lit, she'll go up.

Hi Toneh,my point would be all the lads that have been about for donkeys won't have much bother adapting to the old 4rt

Most like myself have ridden everything from a Lambretta to a Tiger 100 off road a some stage and can adapt to what they have. 

Two years is still well down the learning curve really need to give it time.

No way is a 4rt as easy to ride as the average two stroke,haven;t got one but I do have a twin cam Scorpa only the old hands can make much off it when they have a play.

If a good result was my main concern  I would stick to the strokers.

Yes spot on that's what it seems like the raga would spin it's self out of trouble or Up a step where the 4rt needs to be ridden , with more rider input if you know what I mean

I have found if I'm more agressive with the 4rt I get more success at climbs and stuff like steps but that's going against what I've read or told , steady pace ride on the throttle , but I feel the agressive method is somtimes getting me in trouble

You're right in using the aggressive approach as they do need to be ridden hard in mud. If the mud is deep or without a bottom to provide some sort of traction the mont will never go through it by making it spin, as you would on the raga.

Its difficult to adapt to riding in the mud, but once you find the technique it'll become easier to practice. The best way is to avoid the muddy trials altogether!

Once you have the bike at full chat and spinng, at the point of when you think all hope is lost and your not going to get up there, shut off with your weight over the back and it WILL grip, wanting to stand you on the back wheel. You've then got to feed the power back in to carry on that momentum. The 4rt grips on the overrun. Its tricky learn, but satisfying when you get it right.

it will take time, a lot of time but stick with it.

• Like 3

Reading the last few posts about extreme revving in first gear and I think I will stick with my gasgas 300

I did try a 4rt back in 07 for about 9 months and found the steering, suspension and brakes the best, but that engine I could not master, not enough response to control the front wheel and no grip on greasy banks at all. You do not see many (any) being ridden down here in the mud at a good level, just because you have a Honda does not make you Toni Bou.

Edited by collyolly
  • Like 1

Just got back from macc trial and now have mixed feelings

Started off shocking trying the nice and smooth method and it was shocking , to the point where I wanted to pack in and go home

So changed to the angry don't mess about approach and I felt better

It was a bit muddy and light rain but not proper slippy stuff

Last lap dropped 3

So don't feel so bad now , it's obviously my lack of skill more than anything

maybe I'm expecting far to much to soon

we had an 09 4rt standard for about half a year. as people have said on here it requires revs in the wet.  great bike i thought, even though i never rode proper events on it as im not old enough for acu yet i practiced for probably over 30 hours on it, mainly in mud, hills, roots, cambers , ditches etc.  suspension is far superior to others. just as your finding at the start i couldnt get the knack of getting grip, and we live in possibly the  muddiest place in England when wet. i found the technique that some say on here of being really smooth with no clutch doesnt work if you start doing inters or expert sections when wet. i found you really have to be aggressive and rag it to grip. if you try the smooth no clutch method in the section you explained i found you start to spin and slow down and basically stop moving and just sit there spinning. using 3rd and revving the nuts of it and clutching it like you would on the gasser it really does fly and once your moving the clutch can be left out and it will continue to grip really well even lifting the front up. once you get this method it does work really well. awesome noise too ! ;)  in some situations where there was extreme mud where you litterally plough through it with a big hill ahead i found 4th also works well with lots of revs haha. loved that bike and shame we had to sell it. seriously considering one for my next bike once im old enough... 

Edited by shercoben12

It took me over a year before i got frustrated enough to sell. It would probably be worth speaking/watching 4rt riders and see where you are going wrong.

Most people and fans of the bike will say once grip is lost its very difficult to get back.

Where are you in the country?

Most people and fans of the bike will say once grip is lost its very difficult to get back.

I find the same, must be me

However watching very good riders @ ssdt & Scott on 4RT's they do seem to be expending more effort getting the bike through the sections than their counterparts on 2T's

Shame because they are lovely bikes

I've not really realised what I've been doing until a few people have pointed it out. Aggression is obviously a key to riding the bike which I have realised I do, and as John said, shutting the throttle will pretty much always end in a recovery procedure to stop you throwing the fatlass over your head even in the deepest and slippiest mud section. I practiced winding her up and running the engine down and letting out the clutch on a very slippy bank and she went straight up as if it was dry. Possibly the aggression is to do with the size and weight of the 4rt compared to the 2 strokes but once you get that riding style into your head things become much easier, tense up and only input small movements things don't work nearly as well.

As Timp said, these bikes are marmite, there is little or no in-between. I struggled for months with the first 4rt but persevered and it paid off to a point where I simply wouldn't swap at all now.  

Edited by the addict
  • Like 1

Went to ketton quarry trial today on the back of macctrials last night so fair bit of time riding the last couple of days

Had a heavy rain shower and it turned the place into thick gloop, the sort that stops the front wheel turning

So I thought well nows the time to get stuck in and just ride

Lots of throttle weight back and off you go , even made the fatal mistake of hesitating and the bottom of a steep slippy climb , not to worry , loads of throttle weight back , yep it gripped went into outer space landed twisted the forks in the yolks and other bits of superficial damage

But on the upside I'm pretty happy now I know it will grip as well as most other stuff

If you give it plenty of stick and have faith

The only thing I've got to learn now is not to panic and keep it under control when I reach the top of a hill at 300 mph

But I'm sure that'll come with time

• Like 3