Leaking Fork Seals , Tool That Works

denisesewa

So when I bought the 2006 TXT forks for my project bike I knew they had some nicks in the stanchions and the seals were leaking so I ordered a set of seals and with them came a " seal mate tool" ( figured it was a gimmick)  , the seals on the forks were leaking bad enough that pumping them a couple times would leave oil film on the stanchions and after a trail ride there was oil down the leg and on the brake rotor. I used a " Lanski"  knife sharpening kit which has small super fine stones and honed down the nicks and then just because I had it used the Seal mate tool to clean the seals, the amount of crud this tool removed is amazing and after following the info in this video I am shocked to find they no longer leak >> 

<<.

I will change the seals and oil before assembling the bike for the final time but thought I'd share this in case anyone is interested , one thing for sure is I will use the tool occasionally to clean the seals on all my bikes. 

I've heard good things about the Seal Doctor but personally have never used one (will buy one in the near future). Currently I've got a piece of plastic cut out in the shape of the motion pro Seal Mate. Just make sure your when you cut it out the scissors cut the plastic and don't tear/serate the edge as it could possibly damage the seal. Otherwise it works great. 

+1 for the Sealmate

I tried it tonight on my Gassers forks which I was 90% sure needed new seals, the tool took quite alot of grit out and now no leaks, happy days. Bare in mind the forks used to literally pour oil out, at the end of a ride the lowers were covered and it would be all over my front disc.

One word of advice though, take the spring off the dust seal before removing to get to the oil seal, I must of spent 15 minutes trying before I realized :P

• Like 1