Boot Preparation.

scorpatic

I've just bought some new Forma Boulder boots to replace my Alpinestars which have given up after five years.

To be fair they have been soaked and dried very week with no further care.

I am keen to get the boots to last and have gone black instead of white which look like crap after a few rides.

The question is what product is best for the boot preparation, softening of leather and preserving etc.

Ive heard that Neats foot oil is good but others ay its full of petroleum which is not good.

Advice?

Whatever you do, don't over soften the boots. Damaged feet take ages to heal - I know from miserable experience, blackened toes don't like changing gear!!.

These days I just wash the boots with the bike and don't let them dry out and stiffen completely, then wear waterproof socks - sealskinz  or MOD surplus seem pretty good at keeping the water in.

For my black Alpinestars I use shoe polish and now and again leather grease or wax.

And for my oiled Gearnes (horse saddle) beeswax oil.

I only treat my boots after about every 5th cleaning (with water and car shampoo) 

• 2 weeks later...

i just used duckswax on my new boots after getting them plastered in mud and soaking for the last two weeks. Very impressed after this weeks outing the water just ran off the boot and when i returned any mud just washed off easily leaving a clean and oiled boot.

would definately recommend, a bit pricey i got mine off ebay but enough to do lots of boots in the tub so well worth the money