Cracked Frame Tab? (2013 Txt Pro)

drca

Going through the 2013 TXT Pro i recently acquired and I found this looking around:

post-22725-0-93677200-1472428067_thumb.jpg

This is the motor mount tab on the left side under the motor, in the back.  

I can see what looks like a "crack" (blue circle) and there is a gap between the bolt head and the tab.

Is this normal?

Thanks.

DC

That is not the problem. You need to pull the motor and see if the center cases are broke.

Thanks for the answer.

I'll pull the bash plate and proceed to make a full inspection of the cases.  

You wrote "this is not the problem", do you mean that this is normal and just to check for possible cracked cases, or that this is the least of my problems if I have cracked cases?

Happy trails.

DC

I believe he meant the cracked frame tab is more likely a symptom of a possible broken engine cases.

You will definitely want to fix the frame tab, but after making sure there are no other issues.  say with the engine cases.

I believe he meant the cracked frame tab is more likely a symptom of a possible broken engine cases.

You will definitely want to fix the frame tab, but after making sure there are no other issues. say with the engine cases.

Ah, thanks.

Would someone be kind enough to post a photo of what it is supposed to look like. I understand the crack (circle on my photo), but I don't understand the gap around the bolt head (arrow on my photo). From the look of it the tab would have neatly sheared just around the bolt head...

DC

Now hold on a second here. I have broken that tab off before. Same root cause as the broken cases. The tab could give way as much as the cases. The older pros had a much weaker tab.

The root cause that I have seen is that the skid pan is lose or really bashed under tension. It pushes the tab and the cases apart. With the system under stress something has to give. 

Pull the engine out and if its fine then check the swing arm axle and back of the engine pinch bolts. Weld it up if its just the frame and count your blessings that it was just that. 

--Biff

• Like 1

Just by looking at the pic...I would guess the small allen head motor mount bolt has been over torqued and it has pulled into the hole in the tab because the hole is little oversize and the lack of a washer. I am thinking the motor has not moved forward but the cracked tab has spread open bending at top & pivoting forward.

When you take out the front skid-plate bolts, if the plate goes "TWANG" and was obviously under tension, you should put the plate into a press and re-curve it so that it fits onto the frame without having to draw it in with the bolts. You will have to take it past the yield point to set it. All of this providing that you do not have broken cases..

I suspect that all of this is due to the deformation of the skid plate, which tries to stretch the chassis. Most common cause is coming up short on big rock face splatters and impacting directly onto the plate rather than catching the ledge with the rear tire.

Hi Jim:

That's what I suspect (and hope  :unsure:) is happening.  Unfortunately I won't be able to confirm for a couple of weeks (on my way to Bolivia right now!).

I had the big TWANG happen when I took the bash plate off my Scorpa...  Took me a while to figure out what was going on.  A few well placed hits with a sledgehammer and some wood blocks (sorry no hydraulic press in my modest garage) was all it took to reshape it and it went back in with no problems.

What I don't understand tho is why the designers of these bikes (at least my old Sherco, Scorpa and Gas Gas) continue to put the bolts that hold the back of the bash plate vertical, head facing down.  After a few encounters with some nasty rocks, the heads are ground to nothing and the bolts are impossible to take out.  :wall:

Happy trails.

DC