Night Ride. Need Headlight Recommendations

cascao

We will have a hard enduro at nigt here next month.

Can I put a 35W or 55W halogen light in my Sherco ST300 2015?

Or there something else beside bike battery powered lights? (will use in my helmet)

Edited by cascao

Not sure if your in the US or not so timing and/or import tax could be a consideration if your not for at least cyclops. But then again cost is also a factor...

Here would be my vote.

Helmet lighting: http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/-Cyclops-Racer-LED-Helmetlight-kit-_p_154.html

On bike: https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/onx-motorcycle-light.asp

Edited by jonnyc21
  • Like 1

I think it is worth going with a helmet light if you are riding rough trails. Better to have the light pointed where you plan on going instead of where the bike headlight may be pointed, this especially noticeable when you wheelie it is great for lighting up the trees but I find it better to be able to see what you are actually headed for...

• Like 1

I bought an LED bulb from the discount bin for 12V lighting systems just to see if it would plug into my Beta's headlamp and work and it did but I never completed the project. I've been thinking it might be kind of interesting to layout a PC board as a number plate and populate it with bright white LEDs for night riding. Wide area on some and some narrow beams going forward with a few pointing down for wheel lifts. The Beta system is 85W which is a lot of light with LEDs. Something to do in my spare time this winter I guess.

For slow speeds, mountain bike lights might suffice, I've used them on a night trial event (one on the handlebars and one on my helmet), not sure that they're suitable at the higher speeds that are ridden in enduro though.

Edited by guys

Rectifying the ac is pretty simple and stabilizing the voltage is pretty easy too. Also want to make sure there is sufficient current to start the fan when it needs to. Induction motors need a pretty big kick to get going. Making sure the LED die don't get too hot is the real problem. The high output LEDs are usually on an aluminum backed PC board for cooling. There are quite a few places that will do a small run of PCBs for a few hundred dollars.