Why are Spanish riders so good? And other chit chat

justjosh9

Why are so many of the top riders Spanish? Surely trials is bigger over here in the U.K? 

The only thing I can think of is the fact they have better weather? I know the top riders seem to be able to ride in the wet just as well as the others.. but as it’s always dry year long they get to push themselves more. I haven’t got any better over winter because near enough everywhere is a **** hole and I just slip and slide everywhere  and rocks are as slippy  as Ice which means not doing bigger stuff like maybe I would i it was dry! Obviously they are in a different league to us but I guess the same applies for the top riders from over here.. I guess that’s why Dabill goes over there to train! 

I also ride cycle trials and can hop and balance on my back wheel all day long. I Just can’t get my head around how the top riders balance on the back when stationary on motorbikes.. 1st gear popping a wheelie getting it high and feeling the balance point and leaning all the way back and my front wheel drops so fast if I pull the clutch  or tap the back brake etc. I mean I’m not very good at wheelies but I still don’t know how the hell they do it they don’t even seem to lean back or have the front that high.. Motorbikes are heavy! Even trials bikes !! 

I agree with they have evolved the sport rather than staying in the past.. A lot of our sections are random as with trying to squeeze through the tightest of trees and trying to ride through quagmires and slippy turns on banks and stuff. Where as over there they are just nailing the trick riding and jumping/ splatting up stuff.. which is cool. I guess if you can do that the rest is pretty easy. At club level at least. 

Thanks for the insight ONI nou. I’ve seen the spea gear at the world trials I didn’t realise it was just one business man that set it up. That’s pretty cool, it’s a shame we don’t have something like that over here otherwise they will just keep dominating because there isn’t many family’s that would invest a lot of time and money into kids spending all the time doing trials rather than uni and getting jobs which means no practicing for 8 hours a day! 

it's not just trials, the Spanish are pretty dominant in Motogp too, a lot of it is the way their federation is set set up to progress and support young riders who show promise, I believe a trials license  about 300 euros and presumably more for road race etc  this money is ploughed back into the sport to help young talent.

• Like 1

Why do our rounds of the world championship have to copy the rest, what's wrong with slippery cambers and big muddy climbs, best UK world round I went to was Butser Lime works in Petersfield when Steve Saunders showed the jolly foreigners how to ride a bike.

When trials goes back to its roots and forgets big grippy rocks in the sun then other riders may be allowed to shine.

Remember when the world championship had rounds in Northern Europe in the cold and snow, bet no one would be wearing one piece Lycra in those conditions.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, collyolly said:

Why do our rounds of the world championship have to copy the rest, what's wrong with slippery cambers and big muddy climbs, best UK world round I went to was Butser Lime works in Petersfield when Steve Saunders showed the jolly foreigners how to ride a bike.

When trials goes back to its roots and forgets big grippy rocks in the sun then other riders may be allowed to shine.

Remember when the world championship had rounds in Northern Europe in the cold and snow, bet no one would be wearing one piece Lycra in those conditions.

AMEN!!!!!! A lot of the outdoors are just becoming another outdoor indoor trial. Japan is one of the few that survives. Its more british than the british round!!!!

Also remember a "rather good" spanish rider rode the BTC a couple of years back, including the buster limeworks, and got a "rather good" whooping :lol: He finished 10th at the limeworks!!!!

Edited by faussy
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, faussy said:

AMEN!!!!!! A lot of the outdoors are just becoming another outdoor indoor trial. Japan is one of the few that survives. Its more british than the british round!!!!

Also remember a "rather good" spanish rider rode the BTC a couple of years back, including the buster limeworks, and got a "rather good" whooping :lol: He finished 10th at the limeworks!!!!

Do you mean Casales? Looks like he did well to me if so -

http://www.trialscentral.com/results/uk-trials-results/2015-uk-trials-results/2015-british-trials-championships-results/269-2015-british-trials-championships-final-standings/file

58 minutes ago, collyolly said:

My view is that it wouldn’t be hard enough if it was solely muddy climbs and cambers. Did you go to Tong the past years? Did you see the waterfall group of sections? They were muddy climbs etc..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, boringac said:

And did you look at the first two rounds? He got beaten by guys who arent on the world circuit, some (with no disprespect) who arent even close to being on the world circuit while at venues with terrain you wouldnt get much of in Spain. He finished 6th one week, and 10th the next at a british round. 10th!!!!!

That was collyolly's point about other riders shining on different terrain

Tong IMO is a pathetic attempt at a british rnd

Edited by faussy

I agree there still needs to be elements of slippy steep banks and cambers in world trials, but It’s the splatting up big rock steps and hopping around on the back wheel that brings more attention to the sport.. I mean there’s a lot more people now that know what trials is because of videos of Toni bou and what not on YouTube doing exactly that. They don’t care about a slippy bank.. I guess it’s like what Danny macaskill has done for cycle trials.. more people ride ‘street’ trials now rather than the traditional comp trials because let’s be honest it looks a hell of a lot cooler haha! 

Its going to to be harder in club trials because young people are going to want to be trying to get up rock steps and bouncing around where as the older guys will prefer the more traditional sections at club level. There isn’t much good ground in the midlands though.. It just seems to be banks and trees and the occasional rock step for expert riders 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, nigel dabster said:

Alot of difference between £10 and 300 euros?

I think it was suggested that acu should support up and coming riders by increasing the license fee in line with Spain !

4 minutes ago, nigel dabster said:

Japan is the most man made event on the calendar.

I disagree. A few sections yes, but they sure know how to put in a few good steep muddy banks! The fact that a few are man made and its still more natural than most venues is the irony!

Edited by faussy
  • Like 1