Evo CSP Hi Flow pump or not?

bikerpet

I've recently bought a low hour 2017 Evo 300. Pretty happy with the purchase.

Currently the weather is mild and I don't see any particular issue, but moving into summer I'm wondering if it's worth fitting the Costa Special Parts hi flow water pump for 40 UK quid?

I've read a couple of posts where people have commented that they think the bike tends to run a bit hot and the CSP pump keeps it cooler. Not sure if it's actually an issue or not.

Where I ride it's fairly hilly with climbs of 1000' on fairly steep terrain being not uncommon. I mostly play around on obstacles, but do go for singletrack rides sometimes and travel about on forestry roads and steep firebreaks a bit to get to different areas. Our summer temps climb into high 30's / low 40's (celsius). I'm planning keeping the bike for a fair time so want to make it last as best I can.

Anyone have any comments on the standard cooling system in hot weather and long climbs, or their experience with the CSP pump?

31 minutes ago, lineaway said:

Waste of money. I have installed one before, on someone else`s bike. I ride a 2016 Beta at high elevation, just did an 80 mile event at over 11,000 ft. 80 sections. Never a cooling issue.  

Thanks. What sort of temperature was it? I ride up to around 100F After that I reckon it's too hot to bother riding.

I've read one report where the poster said removing the radiator guard and using mesh dropped water temp appreciably - maybe that's the simpler solution if it does become an issue, just pop the louvres off before any long hard climbs.

Thanks everyone.

Sounds like I might just leave it for now, see how it all goes and maybe fit one if/when the plastic impeller fails.

Although it seems getting rid of the plastic one wouldn't be such a bad idea - it would be a complete pain to have that fail far from home or in the middle of an event.

15 hours ago, barfy said:

Not as hot here, but I use Evans Waterless Coolant because it has a higher boiling point. Meaning if the bike gets hot the coolant won’t evaporate (boil away) so loosing any form of coolant. 

That is quite funny as water is the best coolant available.