Brake line Splitter? One brake for both wheels

walz

It’s a crazy idea and I just wanted to hear feedback.

For back wheel hops, wheelies, or even controlling speed in a section I’ve always struggled with rear brake modulation. I tend to favor the front brake. Tempted to split both brakes off front lever. 

Lets hear why it’s a horrible idea! Maybe I’ll just give it a go and find out for myself.

• Sad 1

It’s well positioned. A boot on a pedal just has less modulation than a finger and lever.  One benefit would be when hopping in place both ends would be locked. I’ve slipped the back brake and taken a point enough times. Also, when hopping solely on rear wheel (front stays in air) I would have an easier time repositioning with more modulation.

8 hours ago, walz said:

It’s a crazy idea and I just wanted to hear feedback.

For back wheel hops, wheelies, or even controlling speed in a section I’ve always struggled with rear brake modulation. I tend to favor the front brake. Tempted to split both brakes off front lever. 

Lets hear why it’s a horrible idea! Maybe I’ll just give it a go and find out for myself.

There's a thing called a Clake that uses the left bar lever as a clutch and rear brake that might interest you.

I've also often thought that mountain bikes and electric trials bikes with the rear brake on the left handlebar lever had a slight advantage for bike control compared with using one of your feet for the rear brake.

As for the having the brakes both work off one lever, it would be a significant handicap when riding trials because the reason they are independent is to provide better bike control. From the sound of your question I'd say that when you have had some more trials riding experience you will appreciate why the brakes are independent.

• Like 3

I like someone thinking outside the box. Braking power however is already limited, i doubt you could pull a good endo if your braking power is now split in half.

How about a thumb brake. Mick Doohan was and Doviziosi, Petrucci, and Tom Sykes currently are users of this setup. AFAIK, the brembo setup on the motogp bikes has both the foot lever and thumb lever connected to the rear brake so you can control it from either.

Combining the brakes off one lever isn't a great idea, but there could be justification in repositioning it to the bars. The problem is, trials requires far more frequent use of the clutch than road racing.

Are you a good piano player? 

Edited by faussy
  • Like 4

Appreciate the thoughtful insight. 

-Clake gets in way of clutch but works in really deep ruts w rekluse.

-great point on ACU

-Loose downhill I’d definitely be on both brakes.

-the thumb is an interesting idea.

for the keyboard jockys that say I must not know much about riding. I’ve been on the moto tracks for 30 years, guided mountain bikes around the world, run in the A class for enduro and have quickly moved to the top of the advanced trials class in 3 surrounding states. 

I feel like better rear brake modulation by a different method would be a benefit.  Appreciate the positive dialogs.

• Like 1