Training For Trials

wayne thais

I purchased a monty with my buddy this winter and have been riding about twice a week in down town Detroit. We have stumbled on several nests of hobo's and they grumble when your hoping on their benches/beds but what can you do. I was off the gasgas for about a month and a half and it felt like i had never left it. Ballance is all there pretty much the same but the bicycle requires more push and that is something that I needed on the motor cycle anyways. In the states the bicycles are more expensive but we found deals. I have an alp magura with hydraulic rim brakes and my buddy pete has an x lite with front disc and rear hydraulic rim. mine was 300 and his was 600. It was this or get a gym membership and I can see where that would be a one time only event. My roommate converted his 200 dollar mongoose bicycle into a trials bike from a bmx with some hydraulic brakes from ebay and a new sprocket with bash ring. post-712-1140480236.jpg

Here I am practicing in the office at work on a saturday. Dont tell the bosses they get nervous when I start talking trials.

Biff

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gee. I'm a little surprised that nobody has responded to this tred or asked me to break down the four areas of developement even more! Well, guess that's why we are in the state we are in here.

Dear Mr. Lin,

I've been a tremendous fan of yours for many years. I am quite disapointed that nobody has responded to this tred as well. You've done such a wonderful job of breaking down the four areas of my developement that I am forever indebted to you. :hyper: You see, I've developed a state of mind much like yours and I wouldn't be where I am today if I had not listened to your "secrets of success" many years ago.

It all started years ago when I was training a little rider over in Europe named Dougie. For the life of me I wasn't able to motivate the chap to break through the mental barrier that he had. I said to myself "Ringo, what would the great Mich Lin do in a situation like this?" I answered myself [yes, just like you, I talk to myself] "Well Ringo, Mr. Lin would lead by example"

So I decided to show little Dougie how to go about conquering a difficult section. I pulled up the the gate, looked at it, then kindly asked the checker for a five therefore showing the world that I was champion and deserved much adjulation and congratulations for doing exactly what I set out to do and that was prove to the world that I was still the same champion that I had been 400 years prior when I beat all the other world champions.

Well, little Dougie was so moved by my ultimate display of trials prowess that he devoted the rest of his life to winning the world championship.

So you see, it was my insight, training technigue and intense devotion to the society for the underprivaleged bogger pickers of America that ultimatly led to the world championship of my good friend Dougie Lampkin.

Can anybody tell me what state of mind we [Mr. Lin & I] are in? :hyper::)

I am with you Mich Lin, Keep up the good work.

I enjoy yr comments, passioned, i love that in a man.

:hyper:

Yesterday, i saw the dutch national top guys at work

Of course you would be with him if your Dutch, he speaks your language twice over.

:D Yeah yr right, what am i talking about :hyper::)

But enough about supporting anybody, back to business: trial training.

Btw i feel a lot of hostility between the usa members.... :hyper:

Something to do with religion ?

Edited by gasgas

Well put lads, it just proves my point about positive thinking, will to succeed and determination to be the best, when I was reaching the age I was at my prime to take on the world at trials, I was skint, didn't have a bike, and I knew, if I wanted to eat I had to get a real job.

Thirty five years down the road I have discovered that if you want to be like the best and eat, get a real job.

I was practicing on the ty today for a few hours in the snow and over hills. It was excellent, but there were spots with ice that could have gotten interesting! haha, the new back tire kept grip on it pretty well, I was amazed. I practiced my wheelies for quite a bit and they're getting better and longer :hyper: I did one that was about 15 feet long.. What a glorious feeling it was! I'm starting to get the hang of it now. So in regards to Training again... I'd say practice so far has made me better at riding and weight lifting has helped out with manovering it.. :) (I turn 19 tomorrow woo! :hyper: )

Edited by Jackman

Nice going, Jackman. Keep it up :hyper:

And Biffs, i like yr inventivety. And you won't leave stains of oil drips on the floor, wld you? :hyper:

Nowadays all my practicing is about descending a hillside, and than doing frontwheelies with flicking my rearend to the side, left or right, to negotiate a turn uphill. Sometimes :hyper: , not often, i succeed without a dab.

To get to the next level, i have to improve on that part, as i see all the good rider flicking their rearwheel to one side, after they conquered a log or obstacle. There is no room to just steer it to the next obstacle.

It is almost impossible to turn on offcamber sandy hills without the hopping technic.

I start to sweat within 1 minute, it is that mental/physical. :)

Edited by gasgas

WOW, I love this tred!

It's like walking into a mental ward of a hospital

and the patients are all in different corners talking

to themselves loudly while a few are in the middle of the room,

quite sain, listening to all the different conversations at once.

Reading this (thread)has to be what it's like to have ADHD.

HAHAHAHAHA It's t he RAIN MAN :) That guy haunts my dreams. I was on the bike again today (Nice and sunny here today) and was playing around with more wheeling over logs and hills... I know it takes more practice to get good, but it feels like the technique is comming along quickly. And I am getting better at slipping the clutch. (I'm thinking of putting an "EZ clutch" to make things easier. I had bought it for my first bike when I was 7, a honda XR 80!) Mine looks similar to this one:

moose-EasyPullClutch.jpg

Just thought I'd add that to keep my post on topic haha

Does anyone know if these things work well? I can't remember what it was like when I was 7. I'll be sure to try it out and post my results (when I get around to digging the old thing up)

After reading this thread, I believe I have now found the secret to trials success....

With all the comedians waisting their talent on this forum, maybe they should focus all their resources into the comedy circuit, hit it big and get rich. Then they hire a european team to come over and train/mentor them and all their trials buddies. Then we go join the WTC and kick everybodies arses!

If the comedy circuit flops, try the circus.

We may not have a lot of trials talent but we never have been short on ingenuity.

;)