Trousers and protection

Tiewrap

Hi all, as we spend some time doing trials the mx clothing is getting uncomfortable.

But beeing middle age, protection is also wishfully.

So I am looking for trousers that are comfortable and are suitable with decent knee pads, or are there pants with kneepads built in ?

Where we live are not really shops that have some clothing, the sport is pretty small over here. 

I'm a bit afraid to order tight trousers, my legs barely fit in normal jeans while the waist is not large. (Cyclist)

Tiewrap,

I guess there are not too many big climbs in Holland, however I'm not sure about rocks etc. 

I'm 62 years old and mainly do club level pre 65 trials.  I wear pull up mountain bike shin and knee protection (purchased on line) under normal (unpadded) trials trousers.  I find this gives adequate protection and is comfortable.

I hope this helps. 

• Like 2

So MTB knee pads fit under trial trousers ? Or do u wear them above them ?

I have 1 pair of knee pads which I use for the MTB (enduro) mx and trial, but they are quite large.

No large climbs indeed but I have the intention of riding big stuff and hope to also ride in Belgium or France.

I wear jitsie trousers and they are relatively loose. Not super tight anyway. The knee pads i have are these 

https://www.pocsports.com/products/vpd-air-legs

probably on the minimal side regarding mtb knee pads but they fit no problem underneath. All depends whether you go down the tight fit route or the slacker fit.

I know the tighter fitting mots trousers have knee pad inserts that fit into a pocket inside their trousers,

https://www.motsracing.com/products/pants/step-5/

however an alternate looser fitting pair like these

https://hebo.com/gb/inicio/669-4980-pantalonpants-trial-tech.html

have no real knee protection and you need something underneath.

The last hebo pair ive linked seem to be really popular at the moment for older guys who don't want skin tight trousers

Edited by faussy

I am only practicing for an hour a few times a week, so I am still wearing MX trousers. I have three pairs of Progrip pants, and all three size up differently. One is so tight I only wear thin D3O type knee armour underneath. The other two are loose enough to wear hard plastic Hebo pads or thicker soft pads. I wear knee protection under the pants  

Like you, years of cycling forces me to size up no matter what I wear.

For me, I am happy to suffer the added thickness of the Progrip kit to avoid it shredding on a small off or catching on a branch. 

• Thanks 1

MTB/BMX trousers are an excellent option - not skin tight lycra and designed for knee pads underneath. Also usually have some ventilation and often handy zip pockets too. They tend to be a bit pricey for what you get, but on sale they can be had for a decent price.

I like the Fox stretch version, they are fairly expensive (unless you find a really good sale) but last extremely well I've found. Fly Racing make some that I know others have found good.

I use MTB knee pads and also an MTB (Troy Lee Designs) padded vest. I've only ever had minor injuries, but nearly all have involved bruised and painful ribs which I got thoroughly sick of, the vest seems to have solved that.

The MTB pants I have wil not stand the heat if u touch the exhaust I'm afraid.

I use an ixs trigger vest, for me perfect for trial, don't notice I'm wearing it and pretty good protection.

Unfortunately not for suitable for contest as u need front chest protection they told me.

Have ordered the mots trousers.

Thanks for all the info 👍

• Like 1

On 9/17/2021 at 10:26 PM, Tiewrap said:

The MTB pants I have wil not stand the heat if u touch the exhaust I'm afraid.

I use an ixs trigger vest, for me perfect for trial, don't notice I'm wearing it and pretty good protection.

Unfortunately not for suitable for contest as u need front chest protection they told me.

Have ordered the mots trousers.

Thanks for all the info 👍

I've got a couple of hundred hours on my trials bikes (sherco & beta) with my Fox mtb pants and no burns - maybe lucky but they have stood up better than my actual moto pants which have several melt marks.

Almost no-one wears any upper body protection where I am - plenty of people in short sleeves or T-shirts (against the rules but no-one seems to care). I'm usually the odd one out wearing a vest of any sort. I'm sure the time will come when protection is required.

3 hours ago, turbofurball said:

What kind of chest protection?  I've never heard of that being required.

I've not had any burning problems in my stretch jeans or Hebo trousers, but did when riding in shorts so I've stopped doing that :P

First couple hours after getting the new-to-me Sherco, I practiced in shorts and tshirt, came home with massive insect bites on legs and arms. Never again.

Another few practices later (in MX kit) I was feeling lazy and didn’t put my knee guards under the trousers. Dropped the bike and got a massive bruise right next to my knee, where usually there knee guard sits. Never again.

The other week I was trying to turn around a low hanging tree up a ditch, got my arm stuck on a barb sticking out the branch. Big big bruise on the bicep for such a tiny hit. Haven’t worked out how anything but practice could have helped there!

Still waiting for the chest bruises. 

Well, bought the Mots and what a relief that is ! Much more comfortable and I feel more flexible. Definitely a lot better then the mx stuff. 

Only downside is the looks do not match the skills.

As for the insects, just go faster !