7 decades of riding

4rider

Hi there.

I first rode in trials in my teens.

I was pretty crap, but I loved it.

In my 20s I went scrambling. 

In my 30s I went hillclimbing.

In my 40s I was still hillclimbing

In my 50s I tried classic trials on a Cub.

In my 60s I started greenlaning.

I also bought a Montesa 4ride. That encouraged me to try Long Distance Trials. I love those and now on the eve of my 70s I am thinking of trying club trials again. How easy are Bradford Club trials?  

Am I making a big mistake?

Great story and great achievement, 

I can't comment about how easy Bradford club trials are but I think you should give em a go. You have a lot of experience. If you like it then great, if you don't then at least you'll know for yourself. Its all about getting out on your bike.

Manchester 17 run "Dead Easy" trials I would certainly recommend trying one.

Another Coffin Dodger here!  You are as old as you feel.  Get out and enjoy yourself, because you are a long time dead (as my Father-in-Law would often remind me - bless his soul).  Any club on the Easy route will likely be ok to start with.  However Championship rounds might be best avoided,  Have fun.

How can you be making a mistake?  If you find a trial too tough just stop.  If you are enjoying it crack on.  Worst case you have wasted 20 quid.  Couple of 70+ in our club and they all ride well.  None of us grey haired old blokes are going to challenge Bou but we can have a nice day out.  My club just ran an open charity trial which was great fun, I only did about half of it but so what?  Not like there is a million pound prize money to be won.

Agree entirely with chrisCH, if it’s too hard go home or just ride around & practice a bit. I used to ride with Huddersfield falcons when I lived up there, & they run a separate dead easy series, so along with the easy routes on their club championship series they definitely have something for everyone. Many of their venues are around holmfirth so not too far away from you hopefully. Just go for it 😀😀. You can always go & have look at an event first before you commit to loading up the bike & going for the full day out.

I am 62. soon to be 63 .  on march 10.  started riding bicycles approx 5 years old, never had training wheels- dad but me on a little bicycle - gave me a shove said start riding !!  never fell over. started riding motorcycles approx 10 years old. still riding trials - fast dirt bikes.    sometimes people ask-- how old are you ?   I always say,  I am a spring baby, thats all i know ----   

• Haha 1

I also am on the eve of my 70s. I started riding trials about 4 years ago, having not thrown my leg over a bike for about 44 years before that. Although I've definitely proved that you can't teach an old dog new tricks, I'm having a ball. You've got way more relevant experience than I had, so go for it!

• Like 2

I’m 63 and have been riding trials bikes since I was 15. I don’t really enjoy the whole competition thing as I am not that talented. However I love tinkering with things. 
I therefore built a couple of trials Cubs and really enjoy doing the easy route in club and pre65 trials. There are a lot of people like me just out for a good day out without trying to kill yourself! 😊

Edited by brucey
  • Thanks 1