Sy 250f

sherco 125

• 2 weeks later...

I had a test ride on an SY250F last Sunday on a demonstrator bike supplied by our local dealer (6-Aug-2006).

I own an 06 4RT but feel I can be objective if I don't write too much.

My comparison was very direct as I was able to get on/off either bike and ride exactly the same terrain or section.

It was very easy to start. As easy to kick as a my 4RT. Maybe a touch easier (believe it or not).

Much lower geared than 4RT, 2nd gear was like 4RT's 1st gear. As such, I felt 1st was wasted. Would be ok for lower grade riders I suppose, but others will rarely use it.

Compared to 4RT, response was much softer down low, although I suspect that was due a lot to the very low gearing. Certainly didn't punch like the 4RT does with a standard map. Some people might like that.

Tractability in slow going was very good. Clutch lacked feel somewhat.

Slow turning was surefooted.

Suspension not as plush as 4RT.

Didn't get a chance to ride hillclimbs so can't comment there.

Had to fight it riding up running rocky creek section (round slippery rocks 3" to 8"). Just couldn't keep it straight and stay in the section. By comparison the 4RT was on rails and I cleaned it every time. Handlebar angle or suspension tuning may help (I hope). I was shocked by the difference here.

4RT feels smaller and more nimble between your legs, with less vibration and fuss (not only my opinion).

I see marketing of the 2007 SY250F is already out and touting various improvements, so lets hope the gap closes a bit next year. We need more 4T bikes in trials.

The 4RT has been the benchmark, and it still is.

Cheers, Jim

Jim

I was at that trial also, and the bike is not a demonstrator supplied by KD MotoTrials, it is owned by Mark Reed and currently ridden by Kale Reed. They were kind enough to offer KD Mototrials the opportunity for a few souls to ride the bike. The bike is far from setup for your level of riding. The bike was setup suspension wise for Kale an Expert class rider. Most experts like their suspension settings pretty damn firm to take the punishment they dish out. No wonder you may have thought it was a touch firm. The standard settings are very similar to the 2 stroke and quite plush. But obviously have a broad range of settings.

As far as engine performance- seems like Kale did not have too much trouble, as he won the Expert Class on his first time out on the bike, and he was raving about it! I think your getting linear power confused wiith uneven power (Montesa). Did you see some of the things he was getting up.

Totally disagree about "engine viration and fuss". I thought it was a treat . Super smooth.

I found the bike to be incredibly stable, easy to turn and really fabulous in the throttle response and power delivery. And the build quality seemed really top notch. I think Scorpa/Yamaha have done a brilliant job. And this will be the bench mark 4 stroke. All power to the little french company.

Just goes to show how much different riders opinions vary.

Get out and try them all is the only answer.

I reckon it's a ripper! and so did all the others I spoke to on the day.

Congratulations on it's first win, first time out. well done.

Quote; Ned Kelly.

I was at that trial also, and the bike is not a demonstrator supplied by KD MotoTrials, it is owned by Mark Reed and currently ridden by Kale Reed. They were kind enough to offer KD Mototrials the opportunity for a few souls to ride the bike. The bike is far from setup for your level of riding. The bike was setup suspension wise for Kale an Expert class rider. Most experts like their suspension settings pretty damn firm to take the punishment they dish out. No wonder you may have thought it was a touch firm. The standard settings are very similar to the 2 stroke and quite plush.

I think you are quite right Ned in your assessement.

I was not aware the bike was available for a test ride,but i did have a static play on it and can assure you it is set up suspension wise to suit Kales considerable weight (all muscle)and his very fast and aggressive riding style,it felt nothing at all like the silky smooth plush suspension of my previous SY 250s.

Jim im sure to be fair,it would be much better for you to have aride on a standard new 4t Scorpa when Kale has one available, and then give us another revue on the differences to your standard 4t Montesa.

Ned, I'm glad you liked it and I hope you buy one. You've made a valid point about the suspension. Given that, I'd really like to ride another one sometime with a standard setup.

You are right in your assessment of low vibration. Compared to the 2T bikes I've ridden, it is as you say 'super smooth'. My comment was based on getting on/off each bike and riding exactly the same terrain and I felt, the 4RT was even smoother.

I don't have a brand loyalty. Witness my family's current garage; a Beta, a Gas Gas, and a 4RT. Each bike bought by me because I felt it was the best bike at the time for the intended rider. Last 2 years I rode a Beta, this year a 4RT, and I have no qualms about buying a Scorpa in the future if I feel then, they have a bike I like best.

So far, based on my ride of the 2006 250f, the 4RT is easily the bike I like best, and I'm glad I didn't wait for the 250f, even though I too admired the pre-release photos.

One thing I am biased towards these days is the 4T motor because it is so clean and smooth, although I hear at least one brand is developing an EFI 2T, so you never say never.

Cheers, Jim

It seems the bike finally got some much needed graphics :thumbup: Where's the black rims though that the 2-strokes have. I am anxious to try one, then if I liked it I would get one for my next bike.

post-2409-1155601802.jpgpost-2409-1155601821.jpg

Edited by sirhc

• 4 weeks later...