250 4 Stroke

north_yorkshire_lad

not being a big fan of scorpa's bikes i had no intrest in ridding one but when offered a go on there new four banger i couldn't say no and i wasn't disapointed, it is extremely smooth but you could tell that it had loads of power. the gearing is a bit slow as 2nd felt like fist on my gasser 125 and thats been geared down! but it had the better suspension than the 4rt and i fet easier to ride. just thought i'd mention it :D

Edited by north_yorkshire_lad

And it isn't as noisy as the 4RT thankfully! I gather there are lots of bits to mod the carb including a fuel pump. The standard Rear sprocket makes the gearing a little low. According to the rider most sections could be ridden in third. When we saw it at Shibden the following day the rear sprocket had been taken down to 42 teeth.

Edited by Telecat

And it isn't as noisy as the 4RT thankfully! I gather there are lots of bits to mod the carb including a fuel pump. The standard Rear sprocket makes the gearing a little low. According to the rider most sections could be ridden in third. When we saw it at Shibden the following day
Edited by rhaines

And it isn't as noisy as the 4RT thankfully! I gather there are lots of bits to mod the carb including a fuel pump. The standard Rear sprocket makes the gearing a little low. According to the rider most sections could be ridden in third. When we saw it at Shibden the following day

What!, you dont like the noise of the 4rt. Thats half the fun of owning one, they sound great.

cant agree with that sorry, they sound *****! at least i dont ride trials anymore so i dont have to listen to them!! surely honda can make them a bit quieter ?

Growing up riding mostly 4-strokes, I love that deep throaty bark! It does not have to be loud, and I hope the 4-stroke trials bike trend does not go that way. Honda can (did) make them quiet, but the restrictors can be removed. But, since you don't ride trials anymore, you won't have to listen to them! :D

I am anxiously awaiting my new SY250F, and am curious to see how the dual exhaust outlet sounds in person. Nice to see the new Scorpa staying in the top 25, at the SSDT. In 21st, as of Friday.

I want to own a 4t and did the 4rt, but after nearly a year of ownership i found it wanted more power. The scorpa sounds and looks like a really nice bike, but the 250 engine still has me thinking its not powerful enough for my needs. If i sound like i'm a expert rider, i'm not! where i ride there are big slippery muddy hills and big power is needed. The 4rt is too noisy with the restrictors out, but on the flip side its so reliable and easy to ride. No disrespect to the Sherco's 4t they seem good, but have had to many problems for me to considering buying one - sorry Sherco. i ride a 2t now but as i say a 4t machine is what i'd like to own, not sure why,perhaps its just the appeal of 4 is better than 2...(sounds like a life story all this).....anyway, has anyone heard anything from gas gas?

The 4rt is too noisy with the restrictors out, but on the flip side its so reliable and easy to ride. No disrespect to the Sherco's 4t they seem good, but have had to many problems for me to considering buying one - sorry Sherco.

Spud, looked to me like Sherco have cured all the problems with their 4T as the two that finished (3 entered) ran well and started well all week. The guy who retired holed a casing on the Friday I think, not a mechanical failure as such.

I'm waiting on my upgrade kit for my 05, arriving any time now.

Big John

the ssdt is the bench mark testing ground for any bike, shame the bike wasn't sorted in 2005.... there is one really BIG factor for me and the sherco i like a lot, the engine size (cc) :D i've yet to see a sherco 4t being ridden in my centre

Edited by spud

Had a ride on the Scorpa 250F in Scotland as someone had one at the Pre65 2 day. It was only a ride around the car park so not enough to give an idea of how it will perform in sections of course but first impressions are;

- Nice feel and balance to the bike

- Suspension seems very good, smooth/plush

- Steering quite quick but very positive and didn't push out/tuck under (carpark was loose surface not tarmac)

- quiet

- no problem starting it, hot or cold

- didn't feel heavy - no modern trials bike can be described as heavy anyway in my opinion, they all just differ with front/rear weight bias

- motor very flexible and doesn't feel short of power, probably a bit stronger than the 4RT with a higher rev limit.

What I liked about it better than my 4RT was that it can be ridden at a conventional low tickover without using the clutch but it doesn't snap like the 4RT (standard unmappable ECU) when you open the throttle, it is more progressive. This really allows the bike to be ridden old school style if the rider chooses, without the clutch, although it is just as happy to be flicked around off the clutch as well. I felt it would be very nice up the more traditional SSDT type sections where it could be ridden in bottom gear, largely without the clutch, using just the throttle and front suspension to guide it. This appeals to me having originally learnt to ride that way, way back when. I have to pull the 4RT back on the clutch when I really want to slow things down because of the higher tickover. The Scorpa will go at snail pace clutch fully out but also gave the impression it will rev to the moon if required. It certainly doesn't seem to lack any power. Bike looks nice too but is still a bit bland, needs more decals to brighten it up.

What I felt may need attention though was the time it takes to warm up from cold as it does take a long time. I couldn't help thinking that if the bike cools down whilst the rider is looking at a section it could take a while to warm it back up before the section could be ridden without fear of a cough stall. When it was fully warm it didn't cough stall but I did get it to cough by snapping the throttle open the second time I rode it, maybe as it hadn't fully warmed, although I thought it had - not sure, but the warming up time is something that may be improved upon. That is something you can't fault the 4RT for.

I like the bike enough to want to try one properly on sections, both muddy and rocky. Personally, after that brief try I think it will perform well. Narita finished 21st in the SSDT and didn't have a problem all week. Of the other two, one finished ok, the other retired on Friday with a smashed casing although I believe the rider was a bit 'bull at a gate' style and it wasn't the first time he smashed things....

If you get the chance to try one, do so, as I think you will be pleasantly surprised if you like 4 strokes.

Woody,

Thanks for the first impressions. I am dying to ride the SY250F and look, almost hourly, for new info. I am convinced that a four stroke is the trials bike for me. I switched to four stroke off-road bikes in 1998, with the introduction of the YZ400F, and I feel they have improved my riding substantially. I sold my big motor GG anticipating arrival of the new scoot and now am Trialsbikeless. Even though I really don