New Ideas To Make A Special Event!

steve fracy

We're putting on a 2Day event this year which will be Vintage bikes the first day, and Modern the next! Guys coming from a long way to ride, just wanted to field some ideas from you on things we can do to make this event even more special!! Special sections, timed hillclimbs, riding sections sidesaddle etc, lets hear your best ideas!!!!

Cheers, Steve

side saddle sounds great to me!!! neva thought of that, or backwards through a fairly easy (really really easy ) section.

Where is this trial being held, and when??? sorry if you have already told everone in the forum.

cheers mate from olly

Buddy trials. Two people, one bike , one footpeg each. one drives, the other hangs on the cross bar or wherever. Maybe A and B lines. Makes for great entertainment for everyone! Each section could be a challenge. Blind fold the driver, balls in a basket, hot dog on a string, egg on a spoon. The list goes on and on. Add canadian beer,way to much fun.

Try a rocket run.

Wait untill it is dark. A scout heads out in to the woods, hills , rocks etc and takes an object like a bright red flag. When the scout gets to his destination he lets off a flare every ten minutes or so signalling his position.

The group of riders head out at the first flair (all wearing approved head lights on their helmets (like campers wear). The first person to retreave the flag and bring it back to camp is the victor.

Beleive me this can be very intesting (and dangerous) all riders must have the trials marshall approve their camper lights attached to their helmets.

In the past some did not make it back to the camp for hours and search parties had to go in after them only to find them with the lights crapped out and them sitting there waiting on rescue slugging back cans of bud. :rolleyes:

You do not have to be the clubs best trlals rider to succeed at this but rather one who rides carefully and can keep a sense of direction in the woods in the dark. Speed here does not really play as a large factor, one can put their feet down as many times as they wish (who the hell is going to see it in the dark anyway) this is a blast to try Steve.

BillyT

Billy:

Neat idea! Unfortunately, you should know this crowd out here a little better than that! By the time it gets dark, most guys find it a feat just being able to walk!!!! :rolleyes: Perhaps those cool helmet lights would come in handy when trying to negotiate the section that leads to the cooler!!

Cheers, Steve

I've always wanted to put the riders in teams. One rider from each class to make up a team and have them ride together and help and coach each other. Instead of competing against other riders in their individual class, they are competing against the other teams. Would be best to pick the teams ramdomly so no one gets a team full of ringers.

Every year, there is a trial that is put on by mendip vale mcc. It is a team trial as you said, and is really well organised. The sections vary from most being easy, and some easy clubman, to 1 or 2 difficult sections. The event is done in teams of ability, and each team has a rider from each class, to make it as fair as possible. I find that it really helped me the first couple of times, coz it was me riding with experts that even by watching them and them giving me hints, I was able to improve my ridin.

Team trials are a great idea, as long as you have an equal mix of people on each team.

How bout havin sections close to camp, that you ride in the dark, with the cave lights on the helmet idea. That whole idea of rushing through the woods sounds really good!!!!! I know i'd hit a tree though, like I did at my last trial, and I split my lip right open lol

cheers from olly

Hey Steve, we used to run an "Old Fat Guy" MX race out here for a couple of years. The concept was you start the moto and each lap you must stop and eat a hotdog, then continue on. By about the 5-6th lap, things start to get pretty rough, with more than a few hotdogs "re-entering" the world :rolleyes:

Perhaps a twist on this....a section clean demands a full dog be consumed, and a large bite for each point otherwise. One lap of 10-12 sections with a maybe 30 minute time limit should even the odds :blink:

Buddy trials. Two people, one bike , one footpeg each. one drives, the other hangs on the cross bar or wherever. Maybe A and B lines. Makes for great entertainment for everyone! Each section could be a challenge. Blind fold the driver, "balls in a basket", hot dog on a string, egg on a spoon. The list goes on and on. Add canadian beer,way to much fun.

Balls in a basket????

How's that work?

Sounds awkward to me!! ;)

I really like olly g's suggestion which is similar to an experience I had at a 'Gate Trial'. These events are loads of fun and strategy is VERY important to place well. The basic idea is that the gates or splits in a section have points associated with them and the person with the most points wins. This allows you to pick and choose the splits you ride rather than just riding your class line.