Where Does Trials Go In The Future?

atomant

not sure why we would want to make trial's more popular it would only mean longer Q's at section's.Think thing's are cool as they are to be honest.

not sure why we would want to make trial's more popular it would only mean longer Q's at section's.Think thing's are cool as they are to be honest.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My own thoughts are that it needs to be an 'extreme' / Red Bull type pitch - dump the lycra, go baggy - goaties, piercings, grunge - urban events, City centre, concrete hazards etc, X-Games style - youth appeal. Sort of thing that would be on the Extreme Channel.

I really do hope you are kidding there :) I think if anything trials needs to go more rural .

'goaties, piercings,grunge' the point of this topic is how to help the sport, not ruin it ;)

and I don't think it's worth wasting time trying to attract idiots to the sport.

I Take great offence too that there stereotyping! Personally have peircings, tattoos, like Grunge music etc etc and come from an extreme sports background!!

I also beleive that IF there was an extreme side added too trials alongside the normal and wtc side of things it would/could massivley improve the sport like has been mentioned by many by inserting money were needed. Would be easier too get T.V coverage of the extreme stuff and with that maybe snippets of were it has come from and maybe better wtc coverage?

Can`t see how it`d do any riders any harm? if you just want too do normal trials stick too them, if your lucky enough too be able too ride wtc or btc then great, and if you want too have a dabble with the extreme stuff its up too you no?

Edited by barrybaines

Its all about image and marketing !

What's Hot, what is not - Cool vs. Un-Cool. Image is everything in the 21 Century. Just ask anyone over 6 years old.

Look how popular DownHill MTB is vs. Cross Country MTB. Baggies vs. Lycra - Beer vs. Orange Squash, party animal vs. early nights (I speak as a ex-cyclist: Road, Cyclo Cross and Cross Country MTB - so don't take offence).

Initially DH was the same guys that raced the Cross Country, image is now poles apart - DH has cut its own niche. There's no cross over any more - which one is more marketable ? Where are the sponsors putting their pennies in MTB ?

Valentino, Max, Haga all 'names' vs. Kenny Jnr, Bayliss, Loris - guys with talent but a much lower profile image. Its not about bringing hooligans into the sport, Rossi and Haga have a hooligan image but they didn't get where they are without being extremely talented. Where are the sponsors putting their pennies in MotoGP?

Its about trying to create a wider appeal, bringing interest from other street sports such as BMX, Skate etc. Even to other motorcycle sports, what should be a friendly audience, the lycra is a bit of a barrier. vs. the latest set of leathers with chrome trim.

IMHO Trials needs a 'make-over' - 10 Years younger :)

What's Hot, what is not - Cool vs. Un-Cool. Image is everything in the 21 Century. Just ask anyone over 6 years old.

Look how popular DownHill MTB is vs. Cross Country MTB. Baggies vs. Lycra - Beer vs. Orange Squash, party animal vs. early nights (I speak as a ex-cyclist: Road, Cyclo Cross and Cross Country MTB - so don't take offence).

Initially DH was the same guys that raced the Cross Country, image is now poles apart - DH has cut its own niche. There's no cross over any more - which one is more marketable ? Where are the sponsors putting their pennies in MTB ?

Valentino, Max, Haga all 'names' vs. Kenny Jnr, Bayliss, Loris - guys with talent but a much lower profile image. Its not about bringing hooligans into the sport, Rossi and Haga have a hooligan image but they didn't get where they are without being extremely talented. Where are the sponsors putting their pennies in MotoGP?

Its about trying to create a wider appeal, bringing interest from other street sports such as BMX, Skate etc. Even to other motorcycle sports, what should be a friendly audience, the lycra is a bit of a barrier. vs. the latest set of leathers with chrome trim.

IMHO Trials needs a 'make-over' - 10 Years younger ;)

Good post :)

IMHO Trials needs a 'make-over' - 10 Years younger ;)

(Right I'll try not to offend anyone this time ;) )

Why does trials need to be cool or attract new people ?? Will it make the sport any more enjoyable for me or you? Definentley not for me ! I'd probably enjoy it less as I'm not a fashion-following type(as people who know me will probably vouch for). I sort of understand the need to get money into the sport to help bring on the crop of talented youngsters but it doesn't need a make-over?! ( so much for trials being a man's sport :) )

In my opinion (I probably have too many for my own good) Trials on the whole is in a good state at the minute except for the entry in the WTC and the battle with DEFRA and shouldn't be modernised or try to become 'cool' or 'fashionable'..

If it aint broke........don't fix it!!

If it aint broke........don't fix it!!

There are many that think trials is ok as it is. Thats fine, but this thread is about where it goes in the future.

It simply cant stand still and survive I believe.

I went to an ACU midlands centre committee meeting a few months back and the average age of the people must have been in the high 50's. Whilst there are some young lads helping out setting trials etc, there aren't many doing the 'running' of the club if any ? ( maybe be rabie and one other )

So where are these people going to come from to keep it going? I myself got back into it last year after a 20 year break and have been fortunate to be in the position to help out a bit but not everyone is in that position or even wants the hassle of it all.

Can you see the current set of youths coming back to run clubs in the future? maybe or maybe not but will trials still be going in 20 years time?

[Can you see the current set of youths coming back to run clubs in the future? maybe or maybe not but will trials still be going in 20 years time?

I'm 16 and observe if I can't ride and am always willing to help my local club if they need it as do many other youths in our club. I think there is no question that todays youths will be involoved in running clubs in 20 years time.

As for whether we will have a sport in 20 years time dependes on the Government and organizations such as the Rambler's Association. As said many times in the DEFRA froum we need to keep very alert with current DEFRA laws e.t.c if we are to keep our sport, we may have to make the protection of our land a priority for the future of trials and not just bury our heads in the sand and hope it'll pass over. What we should actually do, I don't know, hopefully someone else has the answers to that :)

IMHO Trials needs a 'make-over' - 10 Years younger :o

Good post :rolleyes:

I agree :D

wow, you have far to much time on your hands mate, good points though, i still think im right though!!!!!!!!!! lol, everyone to there own, i ride at a high level and also involed in a club and the running of it so im just going on past experience, but you also seem to know your way round the a.c.u hand book etc. i dont because i burnt mine and danced on the burning embers while laughing at the current state of the a.c.u. many thanks.

ROFLOL !!! :rolleyes:

It sound's like you guy's are just bored and unhappy about the sport as it is today.

Why wait in hope for the big wig's to change the game when you can breakaway and start your own version of trial's the way you want it.

After all thats how a new craze is started,by the people.

It sound's like you guy's are just bored and unhappy about the sport as it is today.

Why wait in hope for the big wig's to change the game when you can breakaway and start your own version of trial's the way you want it.

After all thats how a new craze is started,by the people.

Spot on there, we all go on about lack of help & support for our up and coming riders, but if that is due to the general public not being intrested in the sport, then the sport (trials) has to change to become more appealing to Joe public. If trials was in the media every day of the week like football etc, companys would be more willing to put money into the sport.

If say Doug Lampkin was to kill Tony Blare with a axe, dressed in a lycra suit, everyone in the media would want to know about trials.

So maybe thats the answer. :rolleyes:

Go for it Dougi

(PS he lives at no10)

as a more serious reply -

TV - the idea about "grunge" and "extreme sports" is probably right, we in MX have in one way a great trouble in harnessing this new marketing force when it directly applies to us because we are still all in a motorsport mindset (as opposed to "extreme").

may i offer a parallel - US SX - SX has been about for other 30 years and now its a dialled in product that fills 70,000 seater stadiums, has a fixed season an array of sponsors (esp energy drinks) and a dedicated large commercial promoter (firmly known as clear channel - the owner of almost all US stadiums and half the radio stations). in contrast to the US MX (the outdoors) the crowds are at SX, the outdoors is in the sticks and is for the hardcore fans (10,000 to 20,000 crowds). SX goes to the cities, in the winter (when nothings on - its mostly baseball stadiums) and is finally breaking into the mainstream thanks to the extreme sports bandwagon.

what I'm saying is indoor trials could go down this road, leaving the outdoors (WTC & BTC) as the "real" thing and for the hardened (real) trials fan. we all know your never goign to get a massive paying crowd in real trials coutnry (ie the SSDT) - no one lives in the highlands. on the other hand you can make a killing if you can fill wembly with a trial - of course indoors is a farce and a show but it makes the money that enables the real thing to take place........

as a more serious reply -

TV - the idea about "grunge" and "extreme sports" is probably right, we in MX have in one way a great trouble in harnessing this new marketing force when it directly applies to us because we are still all in a motorsport mindset (as opposed to "extreme").

may i offer a parallel - US SX - SX has been about for other 30 years and now its a dialled in product that fills 70,000 seater stadiums, has a fixed season an array of sponsors (esp energy drinks) and a dedicated large commercial promoter (firmly known as clear channel - the owner of almost all US stadiums and half the radio stations). in contrast to the US MX (the outdoors) the crowds are at SX, the outdoors is in the sticks and is for the hardcore fans (10,000 to 20,000 crowds). SX goes to the cities, in the winter (when nothings on - its mostly baseball stadiums) and is finally breaking into the mainstream thanks to the extreme sports bandwagon.

what I'm saying is indoor trials could go down this road, leaving the outdoors (WTC & BTC) as the "real" thing and for the hardened (real) trials fan. we all know your never goign to get a massive paying crowd in real trials coutnry (ie the SSDT) - no one lives in the highlands. on the other hand you can make a killing if you can fill wembly with a trial - of course indoors is a farce and a show but it makes the money that enables the real thing to take place........

Someone that can put my thoughts into words! fantastic :D:rolleyes:

Heath, I packed it all in as well when the no stop rules came in, I was bloody useless without being able to stop and hop and just did nt enjoy competitions anymore. Some of the big non stop trials are still worth riding as they are set out so you have no need to stop but the rules are pretty strict if you do suddenly come to a stop for whatever reason. Love riding as much as possible but still not really interested in non stop and all our practice sections involve being able to stop and hop about. If you ve got enough room to go up something with a run at it without stopping surely the obstacle will be bigger and higher than a step with a 1-2 metre run at it.

Edited by Betarev3