Gas War

copemech

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many of you yanks drive diesel motors?? were almost forced into driving them in the UK to get anything like decent MPG.

I've just got this mental picture of everyone over in the US driving the Genral Lee at 100 mph everywhere and then bitching about the MPG ;)

Until 2 years ago I had a 1988 Ford F-350 one ton crewcab 4WD. It got about 16 mpg on diesel. I now have a two wheel drive Chevy 1/2 ton long bed extended cab. It gets 17-18 mpg in the city and about 23 mpg on the road. Diesel used to be priced between 2/3 and 3/4 the cost of gasoline. Now that it has to be low sulfur it costs just as much as regular unleaded. I like to drive a truck because I feel safer. Thursday on the way to work I had a Nissan change lanes into me. I had to jab the breaks and pull off the road to keep from being hit. Nearly the same thing happened on the way to work Friday. On the way home Friday a public transit bus tried it again. I would love to have something small for the commute which is 15 miles and 50 minutes each way, but I don't think it is safe in Houston traffic.

Probably a diesel, killing all of Charlies trees!  ;)

That's right!

I like those things to get BIG before they die so I can ride over 'em!

It's so strange hearing you Brits talking about cars, and I have no idea what you're talking about. The markets are so different.

I would LOVE to have a van that gets 53 mpg! Even if it is a VW (my last VW was my LAST VW!)!

We love those Land Rovers here. Anything that gets 13mpg makes us Americans happy...as long as it's got plenty of cup holders.

• 4 weeks later...

Americans and Brits (Scots included in this group) found and developed most all of the oil in the world with some help from the Dutch, Norwegians, and French (logging tools by Schlumberger) so we can complain about gasoline prices all we want.  We should take the oil back from bleeding idiots we gave it too and let them drive about in donkey carts and ride on the backs of camels. 

And such are the rantings of an ex- Petroleum Engineer

So those would be the people with civilisation thousands of years before Columbus sailed the sea?

Quote (Nigel Dabster Posted on Mar 28 2004, 06:33 AM)

So those would be the people with civilisation thousands of years before Columbus sailed the sea?

Just because once upon a time you were civilized dosen't mean you are now or ever will be again.

Quote (Nigel Dabster Posted on Mar 28 2004, 06:33 AM)

Just because once upon a time you were civilized dosen't mean you are now or ever will be again.

Oh-boy don't get me started.

I'm sure that the price per barrel of crude out of the Middle East is close to the same for England and the USA. The Arabs don't care who buys it. Where is all the extra money generated per gallon ( or liter) going? Somebody is getting it! Ya'll must have high taxes over in England. Then again, so do we.