New Bike Nightmare.

fastbelly

Bar risers are never needed, but each to there own choices. How many short people raise the pegs? Basic human anatomy. Arm span = Height.

World level rider, Alexandre Ferrer, and Josep Paxau one of the worlds top people in bike setup and design would not agree with you here.

Gas gas clamps fitted to a Sherco and turned round to bring bars forward with spacer plates fitted to raise bars.

paxausherco_zps9915a1b6.jpg

I see your point, lineaway. I should have explained it a bit more. Moving the bars forward by the clamps will allow the bars to be tilted back further while maintaining the same span, It will cut down the reverse tiller effect on the steering and by changing the angle of the bar to the headstock will allow more leverage rearward. Rasing the bars for a tall rider that is above average weight will help move weight to the rear wheel.

This will also make the riding position more like the Scorpa he was at home on before.

I've been there myself, Rode in the 80/90's at expert level then started again 15 years later on a Scorpa Sy, Then I wanted a more lighter bike so changed and I did not like the riding position of the newer bikes or the lack of grip that I found on the scorpa.

Sorry I thought this thread was about him changing from a Scorpa to a Gasser and trying to feel at home on it.

I see your point, lineaway. I should have explained it a bit more. Moving the bars forward by the clamps will allow the bars to be tilted back further while maintaining the same span, It will cut down the reverse tiller effect on the steering and by changing the angle of the bar to the headstock will allow more leverage

Is there any scientific evidence to the "tiller effect" ?

ie, projected pivot points.

Edited by b40rt

There is probably alot of science behind it so anyone anal enough can get googleing but this is trials not moto gp :-).

I just use experience to set up and adjust stuff so it works for me then let riding skill do the rest.

Lets not turn this thread into a re run of the gearbox war!!!!

What works for one person might not work for another but people post questions because they want other peoples views to gather information and ideas.

Bike setup is a grey area as it has so many variables, So there is no right or wrong answers.

• Like 1

Bike setup is a grey area as it has so many variables, So there is no right or wrong answers.

That I`ll agree with. But, no matter how tall you are moving up and forward is also moving the weight forward. Squat and down is how you find traction. And 6` is not tall. Dougie and others are a lot taller and I do not remember bar risers.(In fact any risers limit how far forward you can get.) Lucky for me I have Marfan Syndrom. (Ape Like arms) Now my little boy is 6`5 and growing. I`ll break his legs if he ever asks for risers.

I like the idea of more leverage, any amount of rise usually has a negative effect on leverage. Like we said everyone has an opinion. I cannot hop a bike with risers (some are way too tall) and my son can`t either.

Edited by lineaway

That I`ll agree with. But, no matter how tall you are moving up and forward is also moving the weight forward. Squat and down is how you find traction. And 6` is not tall. Dougie and others are a lot taller and I do not remember bar risers.(In fact any risers limit how far forward you can get.) Lucky for me I have Marfan Syndrom. (Ape Like arms) Now my little boy is 6`5 and growing. I`ll break his legs if he ever asks for risers.

I like the idea of more leverage, any amount of rise usually has a negative effect on leverage. Like we said everyone has an opinion. I cannot hop a bike with risers (some are way too tall) and my son can`t either.

I think it is inapropriate to talk about your ''little boy'' online :moon:

:madnoel:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, checked the front sprocket and its a 10T as suggested. Last time out I rode it ok and came home 4th in clubman so I am still going in the right direction. I may actually try fitting the 11T sprocket that is in the spares bag and see if that smooths it out a little. Really starting to love the bike. Next stop is the Berko club Frostbite trial on Sunday. Fingers crossed.

Sorry I'm so late to the fray...but I have a bit of experience herein....2006SYR to 2010pro. The GasGas is the most "nervous" handling bike in the mix right now...and the SYR was the most sedate. I made the SYR transition via lots of crashes....most of them "loop-de-loops" (heaviest front end vs. the lightest)...be glad you are just spinning out.

I finally transitioned via the slow twist throttle, keeping it a tad rich, weighting way forward (not your issue), and finally switching to Sherco. The pro is a great bike...very light to pick back up.

There is probably alot of science behind it so anyone anal enough can get googleing but this is trials not moto gp :-).

I just use experience to set up and adjust stuff so it works for me then let riding skill do the rest.

Lets not turn this thread into a re run of the gearbox war!!!!

What works for one person might not work for another but people post questions because they want other peoples views to gather information and ideas.

Grey science ?

Best thing I ever did to my std 250 pro was fit a low compression head insert. Softens the power and grips so much better. I think in truth the insert takes away the snap of power, when its probably me giving the bike too much throttle. Also fitted an aluminium throttle tube slow to medium.

• 2 weeks later...

Enjoyed reading through this thread.

My experience has some similarities to Fastbelly.

I last rode trials on a 350 Montesa over 25 years ago. In a mid life crisis I recently bought an very fresh '09 TXT PRO 300 Gasser. What a bloody culture shock! I simply couldn't believe the level of power on tap, and the fierce delivery of the power. First few times out I was scared of the beast.

With a few practice sessions and one trial under my belt, I feel I'm slowly getting to grips with it. The best tip I received for riding this bike was to use very little throttle, and so it is that with throttle little more than cracked open it climbs and pulls like a train! Little throttle = little wheelspin.

Be interested to hear how your getting on with yours since fast belly.

• Like 3