Defend The Stop Dab

twinshocked

Stall and dab, go out of bounds, break a tape, cross your path, roll backwards, both feet on same side or off the back of the bike, I have done all of the above there may be a few more :). In the spirit of speeding things up I typically impose the 5 second rule (can't dab for more than 5 seconds) but we just ride for fun so it is really an on your honour sort of rule to encourage people to keep moving :).

Edited by michael_t

I take it under US rules a stop is allowed without penalty, a dab is 1 point (a fault), so logically a stop with a dab would still be only 1 point (1 fault) , unless the engine has stalled whilst stopped and there is no forward motion which is a 5 (a failure)

If it were 5 for a stop and dab, which is a failure in your eyes, then you'd have to remove the rule regarding a stalled engine whilst stopped and dabbing with no forward motion, which would lead to even more confusion i.e. what fault is incurred for an engine stop? none being the answer.

I take it under US rules a stop is allowed without penalty, a dab is 1 point (a fault), so logically a stop with a dab would still be only 1 point (1 fault) , unless the engine has stalled whilst stopped and there is no forward motion which is a 5 (a failure)

If it were 5 for a stop and dab, which is a failure in your eyes, then you'd have to remove the rule regarding a stalled engine whilst stopped and dabbing with no forward motion, which would lead to even more confusion i.e. what fault is incurred for an engine stop? none being the answer.

Yes. Which brings up a good point. IF Stop Dab = 1 point................. why is Stop Dab + Stalled Engine = 5 Points? Is keeping your engine running worth the 4 point difference? You're not moving.

Edited by twinshocked

You can freewheel out a section without penalty, penalty is for stopping.

If you stop with a stalled engine and put your foot down and restart engine under your rules it's still a one. Make your minds up.

• Like 1

You can freewheel out a section without penalty, penalty is for stopping.

If you stop with a stalled engine and put your foot down and restart engine under your rules it's still a one. Make your minds up.

Do you mean under twinshocked's rules? which must be stop allowed, he wants stop + dab = 5

If you have this ruling then you'd need to remove the engine stalled, stopped and dab rule because there would be no point in having it.

You'd get a 5 whether the engine was running or not, so where in the stop allowed rules could you included a penalty for a stopped engine?

Engine stalled whilst stopped without dabbing? But it's stop allowed, 'Ah no it's the new stop allowed only when the engines running set of rules' :wall:

Do you mean under twinshocked's rules? which must be stop allowed, he wants stop + dab = 5

If you have this ruling then you'd need to remove the engine stalled, stopped and dab rule because there would be no point in having it.

You'd get a 5 whether the engine was running or not, so where in the stop allowed rules could you included a penalty for a stopped engine?

Engine stalled whilst stopped without dabbing? But it's stop allowed, 'Ah no it's the new stop allowed only when the engines running set of rules' :wall:

I have NO idea what your talking about, do you ?

I've stalled my 240 ,restarted it while balanced (thanks forward kick :) ) and cleaned the said section , One of my RARE good days . :hyper: But if I had put a foot down to start it , I'd of fived myself ! Stopped with a footdown is a kickstand !!! 5 5 5 5 Isn't it all about balance and control ?

Glenn

And PS Twinshocked , are you and the crew going to RI. ?

Edited by axulsuv
  • Like 4

I have NO idea what your talking about, do you ?

Under stop allowed rules a stop + dab = 1 point.

There's also a rule which says a stop + dab + engine stall = 5

Twinshocked would like to change the stop + dab rule to = 5, this would make the stop + dab + engine stall rule obsolete and therefore no penalty could ever be incurred for an engine stall.

Unless a new rule was included which says stop + engine stall = 5

But it's stop allowed rules so why should you incur a penalty for stopping , it makes no sense, like you say if you can clear the section with a stalled engine = no penalty.

The irony is what are you going to call the new set of rules? Stop allowed or stop allowed only whilst the engine is running.

Edited by ourian

Under stop allowed rules a stop + dab = 1 point.

There's also a rule which says a stop + dab + engine stall = 5

Twinshocked would like to change the stop + dab rule to = 5, this would make the stop + dab + engine stall rule obsolete and therefore no penalty could ever be incurred for an engine stall.

Unless a new rule was included which says stop + engine stall = 5

But it's stop allowed rules so why should you incur a penalty for stopping , it makes no sense, like you say if you can clear the section with a stalled engine = no penalty.

The irony is what are you going to call the new set of rules? Stop allowed or stop allowed only whilst the engine is running.

Makes "No Stop" easy to understand !

Ourian if we do away with the stop , dab stall = 5 why is this a problem from your point of view ? I dont see a logical reason to bring up the stalled engine rule other than an attempt to make the discussion more complex.

We could have rules that require forward motion regardless of engine status or a rule that says a stall is always a five. I'd rather have the former.