Don't want these Ads? Why not sign up as a Trials Central Supporter.

collyolly

Queueing etiquette

42 posts in this topic

Just got back from a fabulous weekend of trials with the 'South West Classic Trials Association'  (Congratulations to everyone involved in arranging such a superb event ) , only thing to spoil the event in my view was the selfish view some take with regard to queueing at the sections.

We all know it's a multi lap event with lots of riders, so a couple of sections end up with queues of say 15 - 20 riders waiting to have their go, some seem to think it's acceptable to ride to near the front park their bike amble down to have another look at the section then just come back to their bike and join the queue at the front !

What the heck do they think the rest of us are doing sitting there with our engines off, we are probably just making up the numbers !

We are all just too 'British' to make a fuss.

Edited by collyolly
Spelling !
3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't want these Ads? Why not sign up as a Trials Central Supporter.

Just now, collyolly said:

Just got back from a fabulous weekend of trials with the 'South West Classic Trials Association'  (Congratulations to everyone involved in arranging such a superb event ) , only thing to spoil the event in my view was the selfish view some take with regard to queueing at the sections.

We all know it's a multi lap event with lots of riders, so a couple of sections end up with queues of say 15 - 20 riders waiting to have their go, some seem to think it's acceptable to ride to near the front park thier bike amble down to have another look at the section then just come back to their bike and join the queue at the front !

What the heck do they think the rest of us are doing sitting there with our engines off, we are probably just making up the numbers !

We are all just too 'British' to make a fuss.

Its the amount of time you would have to serve in prison to address the situation... not being 'British'

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

happy memories of doing the Manx  Gazzer Scrivs was similarly incenced so he went up to the guy asked him what he saw....."riders??"  no its a f ing queu  and thats the back of it now get back there....it worked.......Some guys have thier head so far up thier own a*** they find it impossible to consider others especially when it.s a competion.  They need to be told is the message, I mean what is the worst they can do or say once the position is made clear. Usual answer is oh I had a problem/puncture /etc and need to catch up. Invariably these types are first to be finished ,loaded and on their happy way home ....maybe they,re  pussy wipped or their mum told them to be home early??? Its a long time since I rode in championship events where you used to have to grow big elbows  and push and shove with the rest of em.  Takes the edge off of a day out though. We also had the same old faces doing this back when I rode in our centre trials...maybe naming and shaming what with all this social media would calm them down a bit........rant over...... you.re not alone oni nou

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im fairly new to the sport and only done 8 trials but i noticed this straight away and found it a bit annoying especially on the single lap events ive done.

Ive also noticed riders bypassing the busy sections on multi lappers and going onto the next then doing the missed one twice on the next lap when the queue has gone which seems like a good solution to me. 

 

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mrturtle said:

Im fairly new to the sport and only done 8 trials but i noticed this straight away and found it a bit annoying especially on the single lap events ive done.

Ive also noticed riders bypassing the busy sections on multi lappers and going onto the next then doing the missed one twice on the next lap when the queue has gone which seems like a good solution to me. 

 

 

Not allowed.  Sections must be ridden in sequence.  ACU rule book...  It's OK if your told to start at say section 5 but then you still ride the sections in order and finish at section 4. Some clubs will exclude riders who don't ride in sequence.  We had a few cheats who would just go and ride the muddy sections first. A couple i'm sure still do... 

 

 

Edited by gasserguy
3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Few years back i did a trail that had a big entry. The organisers asked riders up to number 50 to start section 1,  the rest section 5. Seemed to work, don't know if this breaks rules at local level. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Provided it's organised by the officials it seems to becoming the norm, that is not the same as individuals changing the sequence of sections to suit their desire not to queue.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reminds me of a magazine article I read in the 70s about Malcolm Rathmell and Martin Lampkin. In those days the best works riders rode British championships and nationals alongside maybe 100 lesser lights, for whom such events were probably the highlight of their trialling year.  It was common practice to see the works guys' bikes wedged in at the front of the queue at each section. As Mart put it "they think it's because we can't be bothered waiting" but actually there was more to it. The best riders would spend time rearranging rocks and stamping mud into the optimal state for riding the section. After all this boot work they couldn't afford for the spinning wheels of 20 duffers to undo their gardening efforts, so had to have their bikes handy to jump on and ride the section at the best moment. This was all done under the unwritten rules of the sport at the time and nobody complained about it. The way I saw it, these guys were riding for a living or at least to make a few bob. I had Monday morning to do that.

Edited by cleanorbust
2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, collyolly said:

Just got back from a fabulous weekend of trials with the 'South West Classic Trials Association'  (Congratulations to everyone involved in arranging such a superb event ) , only thing to spoil the event in my view was the selfish view some take with regard to queueing at the sections.

We all know it's a multi lap event with lots of riders, so a couple of sections end up with queues of say 15 - 20 riders waiting to have their go, some seem to think it's acceptable to ride to near the front park thier bike amble down to have another look at the section then just come back to their bike and join the queue at the front !

What the heck do they think the rest of us are doing sitting there with our engines off, we are probably just making up the numbers !

We are all just too 'British' to make a fuss.

Sounds like a certain Mr Thorpe :D

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, cleanorbust said:

The way I saw it, these guys were riding for a living or at least to make a few bob. I had Monday morning to do that.

I've corrected your spelling. " The way I saw it, these guys were cheating for a living or at least to make a few bob. I had Monday morning to do that."

5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Come to New Zealand and ride we only have 35 ish riders at a National event and have awesome day

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, b40rt said:

I've corrected your spelling. " The way I saw it, these guys were cheating for a living or at least to make a few bob. I had Monday morning to do that."

I'll have you know every penny I've earned is above board and I'd look any taxman in the eye to say so. Probably.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I rode the exmoor 2 day SWCTA and as you say it was a exceptionally well ran event, great sections, natural terrain and a lot of fun, much credit deserved to all involved.  i read with interest the original post and thought it was just me that felt queue jumping was particularly bad this year, obviously not, the first thing i said on my return to the car at the end of day two was the ignorant queue jumpers seemed to be worse than ever this year!!!  

Attend the same type of event regularly and i guarantee it will be the same bods - they know who they are, i refuse to let an ignorant few ruin my days fun or stoop to their level of ignorance by confronting them, it will end messy and the last thing our sport/hobby needs is bad press or bad feeling, rise above it, plus as cleanorbust signature block states ' Why pick a fight with an idiot when the best possible result is that you won against an idiot' 

substitute 'idiot' for whatever title best suits them in your own mind :D.  

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cleanorbust said:

Reminds me of a magazine article I read in the 70s about Malcolm Rathmell and Martin Lampkin. In those days the best works riders rode British championships and nationals alongside maybe 100 lesser lights, for whom such events were probably the highlight of their trialling year.  It was common practice to see the works guys' bikes wedged in at the front of the queue at each section. As Mart put it "they think it's because we can't be bothered waiting" but actually there was more to it. The best riders would spend time rearranging rocks and stamping mud into the optimal state for riding the section. After all this boot work they couldn't afford for the spinning wheels of 20 duffers to undo their gardening efforts, so had to have their bikes handy to jump on and ride the section at the best moment. This was all done under the unwritten rules of the sport at the time and nobody complained about it. The way I saw it, these guys were riding for a living or at least to make a few bob. I had Monday morning to do that.

Lot of truth in that and still happens today

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now