Restoration Projects?

hop blip and a jump

ive just finshed My TR34 '87' with full engine rebuild love it

date on the pic that because it was ready to ride a year ago but never got riden because the clutch had to be done now need gear oil

Picture001-1.jpg

Mmmm - Nice job on the Beta. Brings back memories as this was just the era I first started competing and used to long after bikes like this. I also remember watching Jordi Tarres doing amazing trick riding on videos which heavily influenced my riding style.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Projects, projects . . . where do I start?!?

I think the oldest on the go is a Tiger Cub. We've got all the bits to make it a nice, un-trick but still rideable beasty. I think the least standard bit will be the shocks, wider swingarm for modern rear tyre, and electronic ignition.

Besides that, we've got a Seeley in bits that we do little bits here and there on. Taking our time and saving for the expensive stuff 'coz we want it dead right. Got all the bits but wheels need re-building, frame needs to be stripped (powder coated white in the past!) but lack of funds at the moment means this is waiting!

The biggest time consumer recently was a Scorpa SY125F which had a heck of a lot of work done on it to get it nice - its so sweet to ride its wonderful and well worth the effort!

Biggest project to date has been a home-built Honda 'Special' made from a very tatty XL 125. The frame has been narrowed a little, and everything from the seat back is home-built. Head angle was made steeper by cutting a V out and welding and braizing in place. Ossa tank was made to fit, aluminium side panels made (only 1 finished though!) and all sorts of other bits done. The result is the best handling bike I've ever ridden, and its quite light too.

Next project (started already!) is another Honda special. TLR 200 motor, modified RS honda frame. All the lessons learned from the MK1 will be put into practice and its already looking great! Can't wait to get it done as it ought to be really sweet to ride.

Full credit goes to my Dad for his welding and fabrication, designing and everything is spot on 1st time! I'm useless in everthing excpet holing bits in the right place to weld them, but I'm learning slowly!

Pics will follow as soon as I've got my camera sorted out!

All the best, Pete.

• 2 weeks later...

:D Boy oh Boy !!! I wish I still had my first Tl 125 !!! with what I know now it would be a real fun

bike to have !!! But I really miss the modified ossa pioneer skid plate that was on it ... And honda parts

are a little easier to find than Fantic Bits !! Is Poweroll (the stroker kit co.) still in operation ?

I miss that bike , I think I was 13 in picture .... And the tl even had the optional factory number plate with

bracket that went diag. from top to bottom triple clamp !!! I may just have to find a tl to restore!...?

Edited by axulsuv

This my current project, was going to be for this years Talmag!! looks like it won't be ready for next years!

It is an early and very original C15T, still has the 20" front wheel, standard rests, steel tank (not the one shown) and exhaust on the outside of the frame.

Alas most if these will have to go if it is to be remotely useable now, together with cutting down the rear subframe, now I have put sensible length shocks on.

These will be the only obvious mods, and once done should be a staight foward resto (famous last words!) as the engine seems OK bar a rebore and everything else seems to just need cosmetics.

The second owner was Vic Eastwood who has confirmed his dad bought it for him.

• 3 weeks later...
:( I have just restored my 1960's BSA C15 trials machine. It stood in the corner of my garage for 28years, and before that it was in the corner of my brothers garage for 7 years. After all thoes years it was all still there, apart for 1 footrest. The exhust system was coroded and u/s, and I had to make another one. The only other components that needed replacing apart from engine seals and gaskets were oil pipes, mudguards, air cleaner and chain guard The frame I made in 1964/5 and was modeled on Sammy Millars Ariel frame, (simular to the one that Scott Ellis had, but 12 months before his). I worked in the experental dep't at BSA and Sammy's "bench" was in that department. The engine is quite special, the bottom end is BSA "Victor" GP, and I used a special flywheel assembley. A C15 top end was grafted on to the crankcases. When I striped the engine the crank, oil pump and gearbox gearbox were siezed solid, the Castrol "R" that had been in the engine had stuck everything together and they stood in a bucket of Gunk together with their bearings for 2 or 3 days to free them up. After that soaking and another in petrol & oil they were as good new and are back in the engine It took 2 years to complete the project because I kept having "new" knees, hip's and thumb joints, and it appears that I now need another replacement hip. I really did enjoy restoring my bike, it bought back lot's of memories of trials riding in the 60's and 70's, and discussing with Mike & Ross Winwood ( of Walwinn fame) frame geometry, wheel bases, and gear ratios. Would I do it again ?, ............ I had a call recentley from a guy who has a 1950 350 BSA Goldstar ( ex works) trials bike, it belonged to a relitive who had died and he had inhereted it. It has stood for at least 56 years, the tax disc is from 1951, and the log book stated that it had been owned by the BSA company, I have no doubt that the mud that is still on the bike is from the 50's !!, and as far as I can see it is 100% complete, he asked me if it is worth anything !!, and will I consider restoring it, I'll think about it.

Hi Guys,

Hi Slinny.

Great Post, With several answers to questions that I have been asking for, for twelve months,

(Would love to see some pictures of bike)

You see I am in the process of building a replica of Scott Ellis's last works C15. BOK 228C with the Ariel type frame (Otter).

Look at forum "BOK 228C IS LOST", and needed side shots an information, about this bike. to get it as near as I can remember.

You Have been a great help, with that bit of info thanks.

PS Was Mick Bowers, in the same shop at the time?seems to ring a bell.

Regards Charlie.

Edited by charlie prescott

• 2 weeks later...

Have a look to this Ossa Pre-77 restored by a good friend, he has just finished it and I have been using it today for 1 hour and it is "explosive". The best Ossa I have ever try, even better than a TR-80. One finger operation clutch, perfect brakes, suspensions, explosive engine.... unusual for an Ossa.

I promised myself not to buy any more bikes for some time, but it is for sale......what shall I do??

Have a look to this Ossa Pre-77 restored by a good friend, he has just finished it and I have been using it today for 1 hour and it is "explosive". The best Ossa I have ever try, even better than a TR-80. One finger operation clutch, perfect brakes, suspensions, explosive engine.... unusual for an Ossa.

I promised myself not to buy any more bikes for some time, but it is for sale......what shall I do??

You know you want it!...Life is short :closedeyes:

Big John