Restoration Projects?

hop blip and a jump

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone else have the same problem as me? Simple jobs turning into nightmares.

Tonights Escapades

Get home from work, get into the garage gear and start a simple job this time fixing leaking clutch cover on my M91 Sherpa.

Remove side case

Remember that even though it has leaked oil for months the oil pouring onto your hands means it was still pretty full

Mop up oil

Whilst removing side case the gear selector mechanism comes out Mr Haynes says this is normal

Refit gear selector

Clean up gasket faces

Smear Hermetite Red onto gasket face and onto side case

Put side case back on

Tighten screws

Try to change gear... No gears can be selected

Side off

Refit gear change selecto

Clean gasket faces

Re-assemble and try again (offering prayer to Mr Bulto himself)

All gears back (sigh of relief)

Are you kidding?It seems everything I do turns into a nightmare! ;) I agreed with my neighbour last week to replace my boundary fence which was Kn*ckered.I took down the old fence which was covered in a 1000 years worth of ivy.Then I found I had to chop out the old concrete foundations by hand.Along part of the boundary there is also a wall which I think Moses built.As weve been chopping out for the new foundations this has finally given up the ghost and is now leaning at an angle which defies gravity and now requires rebuilding!On the trials side I bought a twinshock that was "ready to trial".One year later Im still at it :)

• 3 weeks later...

Iam almost finished with my Project TY250A. I have pics but don;t know how to post. It looks great though! Can anyone walk me thru posting a pic? I guess you have to have a host?

Edited by SniperX

Iam almost finished with my Project TY250A. I have pics but don;t know how to post. It looks great though! Can anyone walk me thru posting a pic? I guess you have to have a host?

Most people use a photohosting site (photobucket as an example) and post a link to the picture from there.

Luckily I have webspace My M91 Sherpa Complete

Edited by rcgods

Most people use a photohosting site (photobucket as an example) and post a link to the picture from there.

Luckily I have webspace My M91 Sherpa Complete

Man, I love those Sherpa Ts! Nice! So, If I email you a pic, can you post it up for me just this one time? Wait, lets see if this works!

http://s179.photobucket.com/albums/w303/Sn...pipe600x450.jpg

SWEET! That works great!

Edited by SniperX

I saw this project as a link in another forum's thread recently.

Not mine, but I used to ride my dad's identical one many years ago. Bring's back memories! :wall:

There were probably more competitve twinshocks made, but I always like the looks of the Plonker...bulky or not!

http://www.homestead.com/mavt/OSSA.html

There's a few others at the main "project bike" page here, including a Hodaka Challenger like I once rode!

http://www.homestead.com/mavt/Tech.html

I saw this project as a link in another forum's thread recently.

Not mine, but I used to ride my dad's identical one many years ago. Bring's back memories! :wall:

There were probably more competitve twinshocks made, but I always like the looks of the Plonker...bulky or not!

http://www.homestead.com/mavt/OSSA.html

There's a few others at the main "project bike" page here, including a Hodaka Challenger like I once rode!

http://www.homestead.com/mavt/Tech.html

Wow, that Greeves is pegging the weird O meter! I remember DKWs and some Sachs ha Earls type forks, but never saw a Greeves trials bike with them, and that kinda-unit morot....strange, thought i knew a lot about vintage bikes growing up in the 60s 70s! Learn something new every day!

Picture024.jpgtlr200003.jpgtlr200004.jpg

Heres my tlr200 project for the past year. From a rusty non running piece of junk to great riding bike. Even made my own one off fiberglass tank/seat unit . Turned out better than expected. Lots of mods to get the most out of it.

Lovely bike, how did you make the tank? it's one of the nicest I have seen.

Many hours in the basement. Carved and sanded out the shape i wanted out of wood and fiberglass. covered it in fiberglass to make a mold , then made the tank in two pieces , top and the bottom tunnel. Used a good quality epoxy resin for the final tank/seat, which is very strong ,lightweight and chemical resistant. It holds about 3 litres. Surprised myself on how well it turned out especially being my first one i,ve made.

Most of the time was spent trying to get the shape right and to fit properly on the mock up piece.

Picture024.jpgtlr200003.jpgtlr200004.jpg

Heres my tlr200 project for the past year. From a rusty non running piece of junk to great riding bike. Even made my own one off fiberglass tank/seat unit . Turned out better than expected. Lots of mods to get the most out of it.

Awesome! Well done! I love the custom seat tank combo, and the rest of the bike as well!

Many hours in the basement. Carved and sanded out the shape i wanted out of wood and fiberglass. covered it in fiberglass to make a mold , then made the tank in two pieces , top and the bottom tunnel. Used a good quality epoxy resin for the final tank/seat, which is very strong ,lightweight and chemical resistant. It holds about 3 litres. Surprised myself on how well it turned out especially being my first one i,ve made.

Most of the time was spent trying to get the shape right and to fit properly on the mock up piece.

What paint, or final coating did you use, to resist the fuel? I am restoring a Cota 247 tank, and want to be sure that all the work is not shot after a few fuel spills.