Bbc Sports Personality

subira

I have been trying to get some interest in Trials in the Beeb for a while. Its not that they are ignoring us, its that they don't understand the sport, and don't want to understand.

They know who Neil Hodgson is, lets give them something to think about by voting on mass for Dougie ! He may not beat Jonny or Neil, but if we get together we might get him on the radar.

Cast your vote

Voting for the 2003 BBC Sports Personality of the Year has opened on:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tv_and_rad...003/3222842.stm

You can vote by phone, text message or online until 1800 GMT on Monday 8 December:

Phone Ring 09011 110 830 with your nomination.

(Calls cost 25p).

Text Send your choice to 81111.

(Standard network charges apply)

Email Use the form on the right-hand side of this page.

The award will be presented during a special 50th anniversary edition of the Sports Review of the Year programme, which is being broadcast on Sunday 14 December on BBC One

(2000-2200 GMT).

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've also mailed the Beeb with the suggestion that they at least show a clip of Dougie in action and mention his amazing achievements over the past few years. Seven world titles and an MBE and hardly anyone outside the motorcycling world has heard of him.

Add to this the fact that we've also got Jarvis, Colley and others in the top echelons of the sport AND team GB's win at this years Des Nations, (not forgetting the British ladies' achievement) and the BBC is guilty of the very definition of a travesty.

I know I'm not saying anything that I suspect everyone else on this board is also thinking, but this seems like a good opportunity to vent a little spleen. Maybe if more people said to Aunty B "I know Wilkinson's going to win but..."?

I have made this point directly to the Producer responsible for Motorcycle coverage, unfortunately to no avail.

What the Beeb needs to hear from the audience at large is that they are missing something special - which they clearly are. If we can bombard them with mail, text and phone, someone going to have to listen.

I agree its Jonny's trophy, but it would be fantastic to get Dougie a mention. Hodgson will get some minutes, Dave Millar (another hardworking and deserved World Champion - Cycling Timetrial) will also get covered. These guys have worked hard for their first titles, what about the man on his 7th !

Planning to doorstep the SPOTY team in the next couple of days would be good to know that some votes have been cast - keep them coming.

I have e-mailed them before...with no replies..ba**ards!

You lot pay your TV lisences (Some of you?) and you should deserve to see your sport mentioned, as the BBC once used in an advert 'Its your BBC...You decide what goes on it'....bull$hit

Thanks,

HRC

This may well be a useless idea, but I have contacted Men And Motors and Eurosport GB to see if they can give us some TV ratings of Motorcycle Trials when they show it.

If we can get the results in, we can use them to try and persuade the BBC, however the rating we will hopefully get will be VERY little compared to the ones BBC recieve for a programme.

But hey, its worth a try.

HRC.

Just thought I'd post this..Its a letter someone wrote in to The Sun newspaper (02/12/03).

---

MEAN BBC ARE JUST BEING BAD SPORTS

"HOW can the BBC not shell out the money to show film of Jonny Wilkinson's winning goal when he is expected to be voted their Sports Personality of the Year?

The fee of

I have voted.

I did last year, and then complained when he did not get a mention.

Just got an e mail back saying that they can't cover everything.

Doug has been invited for the last few years I think and I am sure i seen him in the audience, you would think they would at least mention him.

Just got an e mail back saying that they can't cover everything.

You got a reply?!!!! :blink:

That's more than I've ever had from either the Beeb or Men & Motors.

Well Subira - if we have no luck this year, how about we look at getting a team together and put on a trials display around that pretty fountain at Television centre for next year's Children In Need - they're hardly likely to refuse that and it's certainly right in the public eye. all we need is somebody on the inside.....hmmmm...... :rolleyes:

Just voted....but cant help thinking the beeb will show the elephant polo before showing dougie winning anything

If you dont know what I`m on about...there was a post on .."ahem"...some other site ...about showing elephant water polo on tv or something along those grounds

Regards

N