Bbc Sports Personality

subira

Just to explain that behind what you see on TV is always the issue of money, as you can see from the cost of the rights to show the rugby, that everyone wants their cut. Ultimately money/budgets dictates what you see and what you don't.

Since Sky particularly got involved there has been 'hyper-inflation' for many sports rights contracts, especially mainstream: Premiership, Cricket, Rugby, Snooker, etc. that means to show any of this coverage it means deep pockets.

But I'm not defending the BBC on the trials front, they'd only need 30 secs max. of video material for a 'Other British World Champions Recognition Slot' on SPOTY and this could easily be rights free if Doug agreed to it.

Unfortunately I think its going to take a longer campaign to get him and the sport a mention, something a little more co-ordinated.

Sports Relief next year might be the answer, trials would need to raise some money for the charity, but I was looking around today for some sections - there's definitely potential :rolleyes:

We'd need to get some of the big names involved, as well as good support from the grass roots

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'll tell you what would do wonders in terms of public perception and recognition: Get Dougie to perform a quick demonstration live in the studio! Something relatively easy (for him!) but visually impressive.

If shown first hand what trials is all about, people will remember it...

I'll tell you what would do wonders in terms of public perception and recognition: Get Dougie to perform a quick demonstration live in the studio! Something relatively easy (for him!) but visually impressive.

If shown first hand what trials is all about, people will remember it...

Like when Dougie appeared on 'You Bet!' he had to go off a small kicker and onto a big box and people with 3 celebrates took bets on if he could do it or not.

We did it and many of the audience and about2 of the celebs voted 'No' that he couldn't do it...he did it.

This was when he was riding for Beta and it was in 1998/7. He did have a short convertsation with Richard Turner about trials such as 'What is the best age to start?' 'Is it easy to learn?' 'Whats with the bike with no seat?' and he also asked about Dougie and how he got started.

I think what where looking for is a modern day version of this. The presenters always, always ask the same questions like 'wheres the seat?' and this gives Dougie to show what he can do and also gives him a change to express how he got to where he is.

HRC

I remember Richard Allen doing a spot on the Big Breakfast once, he taught the presenter to ride a bike through cones and over little stuff - good for advertising. I think any level of coverage would be good. Got me in trouble tho, was late for school every day for a week!!!! :rolleyes:

Jonny will get it. There's no doubt.

The year that some english player missed a crucial penalty, there was a big email campaign in Sotland to vote him as Sports Personality of the Year. Apparently the Aussies have launched a campaign to try and keep jonny out, but the sassenachs have countered with yet another email campaign. I got it today and replied along the lines of "I'd rather have bamboo shoots thrust under my fingernails".

It's a foregone conclusion.

• 2 weeks later...

What a load of pants !

I am a fan of most sports but found myself strangley draw to the kitchen making cups of tea for the missus, and then reading the Sunday papers.

Poor Neil Hodgson was made to do the daftest stunt, especially if you'd just been watching Top Gear.

Highlight of the show had to be Paula Radcliffe's outfit :D and Lance Armstrong's Oversea's Personality. (Interesting as the Beeb don't cover the TDF)

OK so the Rugby boys have had a result, but the rest was a complete nonsense - Matrix spoof for snooker, Ranieri interview, Frank Bruno, ahhh - what a waste ofthe license fee.

YAY! well done to Antony Povey in Australia for getting this published:

"I can't believe that there is still no recognition for Dougie Lampkin the 7 times World Outdoor Trials champion and 5 times indoor. In a time when British world champions are few and far between, this is an outrageous exclusion "

Good on ya!