Vintage Enduro

scotty

Hi all does anyone anywhere run vintage enduro events? ive got a couple of old(read it175/ pe175) bikes that i'd love to give a good outing but where? please dont suggest turning up at the latest TBEC event with one of these! i'tll be like turning up at the local trial and riding a sherpa 325 on the hard route against scorpa's, betas, etc!!! :lol:

There used to be a classic enduro run in Derbyshire somewhere. May still be run once a year not sure but I think it may be the Midland Classic club that origanises it. Again, not sure what type or class of bikes it is restricted to such as pre80, pre75 or whatever. If you can find the contact details for the club secretary, they may be able to help

I've been to watch a few hare and hounds locally, and I reckon I could keep up with some of them on a TY80 :lol:

especially as soon as there's a hill involved. Put a small turn on it, and I reckon we're talking Italjet mini bambino without coming last.

Worth a try for a ride out, or are you after pedigree enduro?

Midland Clasic Club are holding there next event in March details here

There is a 2 day classic enduro held in France about 70km from Le Havre in September that was advertised in TMX. Quite a few Brits went over and reprts back were that it was a very good event....think Alan Wright won it.

Seems as though there should be a much bigger following for this branch of enduros here in the UK, the following for them in France, Italy, Germany and Belgium is massive.

Martin

Edited by MartinM

one of my mates went to france,and said it was fantastic,good event and really freindly bunch of boys

another good outing would be a long distance trial or a 2 hour time trial

your bikes would be more than capable in both events

or just enter the sportsmans class at an ordinary enduro,no one is trying to kill you or the bike..

• 4 weeks later...

*Midland Classic are organising 2 classic and twinshock enduros and 2 grass hillclimbs in 2007. All events are held in Derbyshire and they are all excellent events. I rode them all last year and will be doing the same again this year.

First event is an enduro on March 11. Entry forms are available now from Secretary Steve Davies. Tel 01246 568891 or download from website.

Get your entry in early as it is already filling up.

Yep, the Midland Classic events are great. Although the course is not particularly long it has some tricky nadgery bits that keep speeds down and give everyone a chance. Anything with 2 shocks is eligible - trail, MX, trials or enduro - if you've never seen a BSA bantam trials bike race an XT500, this is the place! Midland also do a couple of Hillclimbs which are a right laugh.

The main problem with modern H+H or Enduros is the deep ruts that modern bikes dig- old bikes get hung up -but if you know the terrain isn't too soft, enter the Sportsman class and you'll find everyone very supportive.

The Trail Bike rallies (Cambrian, Hafren etc) are very good fun if the organisers will let you in - often closed to 2-stroke enduro bikes, but phone 'em up and explain and they may let you in.

I did the Cambrian a few years ago with James Barnicoat from Trail Bike Magazine on a '75 400KTM and a '75 250 Montesa. We had a right laugh, everyone wanted to chat to us, and despite stopping for photos in some of the stages we didn't come last by a long way. James said he enjoyed it more than any event before or since, so much that he later voted the Monty his Bike of the Year! There's a certain satisfaction in chasing down and passing 450 KTM's on the fire roads on something 30 years old...I think the crap brakes might have helped!

You've fired my enthusiasm now and I'm going to call a few people to see if we can get a decent event up and running later this year. It will need about 40 riders - what do people think? How long? 2 x 1 hour?

Sounds great! 2x1hrs sounds spot on given the ages of bike and rider lols!

i'd use my 81 yamaha it175 not twinshock, but should be allowed as it came out same time as the 81 suzuki pe175x twinshock! also its in rough condition but runs great! as the PE175 im doing up is costing a bloody fortune and im trying to find a set of tank/sidepanels rough! so can swap over with the mint ones!

so dont wreck em the first time out! :thumbup:

You've fired my enthusiasm now and I'm going to call a few people to see if we can get a decent event up and running later this year. It will need about 40 riders - what do people think? How long? 2 x 1 hour?

Save me a place! Also got quite a few mates who would be interested. What part of the country would it be in? I find that 2 x 1 hours is about right.

Save me a place! Also got quite a few mates who would be interested. What part of the country would it be in? I find that 2 x 1 hours is about right.

I have 3 organisers interested so far, 2 up North, one down south. It might actually happen! Watch this space.

Edited by Slapshot 3
quotes fixed

• 1 year later...

Folks - here's an event we'd love you to enter...

The Ryedale Rally is not an enduro - but it's a great opportunity to drag out the twinshock, classic or vintage old nail that you've had in the garage for ages and give it a gentle ride round the country lanes and forest paths and tracks of north yorkshire.

The event is on 5th & 6th July and is designed to be non-competitive for most of the route, but with special tests to sort our the winners. In the main, you ride round a waymarked route, arrive at the time check early, have a chat and a fag with your mates and then set off again - brilliant!

The Saturday covers about 120 miles and Sunday's about 85 - and you'll need to be road legal.

There's basic camping (loos and water) and catering for the Saturday and Sunday. Full 1st aid cover, fuel transport for half way round and we'll try and make the sun shine too.

Hope you can make it - here's a link for the entry forms.

http://www.enduro-neec.org.uk/calendar.php

Any questions, please ask via this website, or use the NEEC one attached.

Cheers,

David

• 1 month later...
Folks - here's an event we'd love you to enter...

The Ryedale Rally is not an enduro - but it's a great opportunity to drag out the twinshock, classic or vintage old nail that you've had in the garage for ages and give it a gentle ride round the country lanes and forest paths and tracks of north yorkshire.

when you say vintage bike do you mean it in the true sense of the word - what i'm really asking is would i be able to ride it on a 1932 Rudge?

I have for some time been thinking that we need a real 'Vintage' reliability trial in this country - something like the ssdt used to be when it first started.

Wouldn't it be good to organise for the Centenary year of the ssdt (2011) a vintage reliability trial around tracks and unmetalled roads in the Scottish highlands.

you could handicap the bikes with the older the bike the less handicap and a free entry to anyone entering on a bike pre 1920.

anyone out there fancy organising such an event ?

Edited by overthehill