Clutch Doesnt Want To Work On Start Up!

johnny_rotten_dab

I must say it has become a habit to start the engine and push away beofre selecting gear.

On every trials bike I've ever had there is a certain amount of initial clutch stick when cold.

Edited by scorpa3

Use the recommended Elf HTX740 it works! The clutch on our bikes releases straight away when cold, even the old Fantic. There was some going cheap on ebay, it's in the old style metal tins rather than the new smart plastic but it's is a lot cheaper than normal. :xmas:

Edited by fantic156

I must say it has become a habit to start the [bike] and push away before selecting gear.

Funny you say that! I have owned 3 different Cota 315's, one which had a Sureflex clutch kit, and they would all stick when cold. Pushing off before selecting a gear became such a habit, I still tend to do it to this day, even though my Scorpa SY250F doesn't stick. Old habits die hard...

When warming the engine try & get it into a high gear as soon as possible. You can either push off in neutral then quickly knock it up into 4th, or if you've got a stand to warm it up on you can get it in gear with the wheel spinning off the ground. I tend to find that again, by the time you've got up to 4th even with the wheel driving in mid air it will free the clutch up.

I've adopted this practice on my current Sherco & my old Beta Techno & it seems to work, but I've never ridden often enough to always find a free clutch when I get on the bike.

I don't know about the Montesa but I used ATF for years in the old GasGas bikes but you do need to change fluid more often, my Fantic 305 had to have a good 30 weight oil. If they recommend a certain type always use that first. Most bikes need to be warmed up put your hand on the exhaust and when it puts out warm air you can go play.

Before starting your bike put it into top gear, pull in the clutch and rock the bike backwards and forwards. Initially it will feel like it is stuck in gear however after a few rocks it will free itself and then freewheel. After this put the bike back in to neutral and then try starting it. Being doing this trick for years and usually works. If the bike has been stood in the garage for a few weeks I usually let the bike warm up as well before putting in to gear.

Using Elf HTX 740 is the answer. On the Gasgas 250 Pro 03 I always put an 'O' ring on the clutch lever to keep the clutch disengaged when bike is not used for long periods. This works. But clutch on Monty always clears from cold with the Elf oil.

never had a trialer that would fully dissengage the clutch when cold,no matter who made it.

the only problem with some of the recomended oils is price,i know we should not gripe about a couple of quid ,but the recomended 4rt oil is well over twice the price of the oil i use.and this stuff aint cheap.

just remember never to point you bike at anything when it first goes into gear,

i put a big black wheelspin on a parquet floor in our dinning room a few years back,thought it would be funny to put a new trialer under the christmas tree,then when i had a few beers thought it would be even funnier to ride it in the house. bad move.

and would you believe it the missus band me from indoor trials!!!!!!!!!!