Spectator, What Draws Them ?

ishy

Reet time for a new SSDT topic.

Top 7 or 8 world riders not riding.

Majority of the entry club riders.

Nothing mega about the sections, straight forward traditional no stop section.

Probably more spectators watching at Lagnaha farm on Monday "if used" than most British champ rounds will get, WHY?

From a spectators point of view, why will you spend more time watching a majority club entry ride , than probably watching the top world riders go at it on the mega stuff ?

Think you said it yourself "straight forward traditional no stop section"

It's more relevant to the spectator wether they are a rider or not.

What relevance, however "skillfull", is a guy riding up a 8ft sheer wall with a catcher at top and bottom to the normal spectator?

Just look how popular the British Touring Car events and British / World Superbike is.

Anyway just my humble opinion :hyper:

Probably more spectators watching at Lagnaha farm on Monday "if used" than most British champ rounds will get, WHY?

The Lagnaha question is simple. The first Monday of the SSDT is always a Bank Holiday in the UK so people are off work anyway. Apart from the SSDT, many Trials fans/riders will be up for the Pre-65 and carry their trip over to take in the first day of the SSDT as they don't have work on the Monday. Lagnaha is South of Forth William and therefore en route home for the majority of spectators. It makes sense for them to stop and take these sections in before carrying on their journey home.

Lot of spectators at Pipeline, Leanachen and the Ben, at the end of the week.

That's us diehards hoping to get some kit dry on the Ben on Sunny Saturday..... :hyper:

Lagnaha, Easy to walk to from the Ample parking, cracking straigtforward sections, probably the best group of the week, brilliant for photography and easy to get home from...

The rest of the week.....same principal, good sections, easy walking (unless you're mad like me).

Question is what spectators do you want, nutters like me who'll walk for miles to see 270 riders go over two chuckies or new people who will spread the word...ultimately, both.

Edited by Slapshot 3

Lagnaha, Easy to walk to from the Ample parking, cracking straigtforward sections, probably the best group of the week, brilliant for photography and easy to get home from...

Yeh right.........Really straight forward sections Lagnaha, good for 7 cleans at the end of the day :hyper:

Yeh right.........Really straight forward sections Lagnaha, good for 7 cleans at the end of the day :hyper:

Knew you'd come back with that :D

Okay what do I mean by that really. I took a mate to Lagnaha he could follow what was going on, he saw a brit round somewhere down south and left after an hour because he couldn't follow the sections.

The topic is about spectators, I looked from that perspective, As a rider (allegedly), I have the utmost respect for you guys because you tackle them...I don't!!!!

They looked like mega sections to me :hyper:

Blood thirsty?

Reet time for a new SSDT topic.

Top 7 or 8 world riders not riding.

Majority of the entry club riders.

From a spectators point of view, why will you spend more time watching a majority club entry ride , than probably watching the top world riders go at it on the mega stuff ?

I thought about my 'Loc Loc Loc' reply last night and I didn't just mean Lagnaha I meant the whole trial, it is takes place 'in my opinion' in one of the most amazingly scenic parts of the world bar none. The thing that draws the spectators is the same thing that brings Ishy all the way across the pond. I know it probably sounds like I am stating the obvious and I don't want to sound patronising in anyway but the 'buzz' that the Scottish creates is not just reserved for the riders. I am not able to ride anymore but there are two trials that still give me butterflies when the regs come out , the Scottish is one and the Scott is the other and I have great memories of both events, I often cross Rannoch Moor and the Grouse Moor.

From a spectators point of view I think that 'we' get as much enjoyment out of seeing a well earned fighting lock to lock clean ride by 'John Smith' as we do a brilliant flowing clean from Dougie, Graham or Steve, after all the achievment of Kinell etc come the end of the week is all relative, you can only do your best, like all competitons there can only be one winner!

From a riders perspective the unique thing with the Scottish is the way you get to know the spectators faces throughout the week, these are people you don't know from 'Adam' on the Monday but come Saturday you can share a bit of banter or just a simple hello with. Much the same with the observers.

Anyway thats my two penneth for what its worth, I hope I don't give this topic the kiss of death as I seem to have an uncanny knack of doing.

Long live the Scottish, and on a slightly different topic, to all you lucky enough be riding don't look too deep into the politics of who should and shouldn't be riding just enjoy it!!!!!! :hyper:

Edited by 2fargone

For me it's the Saturday at the Nevis Forest (the last sections before town hall brae). They have been a good addition over the last 2 years and make for a good days picnic in what is probably some of the most spectacular scenery in Scotland. Top that with only 10-15 mins walk from the main road and a chance to see riders that I never get the chance to usually see.

Pipers Burn very slippery early on, Rhubarb another classic especially if you finish the day with a clean, infact any of the sections on the Friday run are good to watch and brilliant to ride.

And the views around the penninsula are priceless. :hyper:

What is the name of those first sections on the friday where you turn left off the main road near Glenfinan, was it Doire Dhamh? the first one was quite easy but the last one was a right pig up a big nasty step. :D

Edited by 2fargone