How Do You Attach Your Grips?

biffsgasgas

I am replacing my grips in the normal last minute fasion today. Upon talking to my buddy this morning he said that he uses paint??? to help attach his grips. I conventionally use Glue. I have in the past used mechanics wire but always end up cutting my self after a long trial with the sharp end comming out from under the wire or comming untucked at the wrong moment. I tried searching for a previous post on this but couldn't find one so i thought i would start one.

What do you use to attach your grips?

Thanks in advance.

--Biff

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you use to attach your grips?

Renthal Grip Glue. Using a different "glue" (superglue, paint etc) may either softhen or harden the rubber compound in the grips. Or they may not hold. So just for your own safety - use grip glue. I dont use wire for the grip for the same reason you mention - if there is a spot on the grip to use a wire (like on domino montesas grips) then you could put a safetywire there..

Biff

Let out your "inner Redneck" and attach them like I do.

A layer or two of electrical tape, slosh some gas in the grip and slide it on the bars and throttle. Almost never move again.

what because your worth it.

good quality grips, like domino, hair spary in the grip and on the bars slip them on

then 3 lots of wire and they will where out before the slip.

jsp

I uesed to use insulating tape the old fashioned cloth type but thats not available readily in the uk.

I then switched to renthal grip glue but now use the rubber glue used for tubeless cycle tyres tsubaki which is as good as rnthal glue but gives you a bit more time.

Always wire on grips with SS wire and also push the ends into the grip so no sharp ends sticking out.

I uesed to use insulating tape the old fashioned cloth type but thats not available readily in the uk.

You can get it Mr Dabster, we use the cloth tape stuff on the blades of Ice Hockey sticks. If you have a skate shop near you (you should have in Milton Keynes they have English Premier league teams there) go in and ask for stick tape

Hairspray, the expensive stuff the wife uses in the shop (none of you tell her by the way, that stuff's

Not something I have used yet as I bought some renthal grip glue but Mr. r2wtrials has highly recommended cycle puncture repair glue. And after a little thought it is pretty much the same stuff just much much cheaper :thumbup:

Edited by barrybaines

Spray paint inside the grip, slide on and then wire on using from sheathing of SY electrical cables. Have used spray paint for the last 20 years with no ill effect and cost nowt.

Tip to get them off, slim screw driver up between grip and handlebar, then stick WD40 red tube up, attach to can, spray and off they come.

Never used renthal glue cos too tight to buy it.

PS just changed mine last night

Carpet tile spray adhesive in a can is perfect for the job.Cheap to buy from most DIY shops. Swill some turps in the grips then empty out and slide them on. Never move once allowed to dry for a few hours. :thumbup: