The Forums Have About Talked Me Out Of Getting A Bike

ridgrunr

Im not here to bash on Scorpas. I would ride one if you gave it to me. If you dont think they have had any problems you must live in a box. I have seen the stack of rear shocks laying on the shelf that have self destructed.

You also sound like a guy who has heard about Betas but have no real experience with one. Anytime you would like to do a simple carb cleaning on a Scorpa, time yourself, the Beta can be done in under 5 minutes. Takes that long to get to the Scorpa carb.

Beta carb problems, I have none. Stator problems, I have changed one in the last 8 years of Betas I have owned. Within my family there has been 16 Revs and one stator failure.

I would be the last person to say the Beta is the perfect bike. I think they all have there good points and bad points. Seeing as how I get to wrench on all of them I feel pretty confident in my knowledge. Beta is second to none in quality and performance.

Aaron

http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/index....&hl=stators

At most of the trials I've been to this year the very few Betas that are there had problems of some sort over the year.

Thats the beauty of Scorpa's I don't need to take my carby out all the time.I can pull the bike out after not starting it for 2 months and it will start 3rd kick.

Yes i have heard of expert rider blowing rear shocks on scorpa's(mine is 3 years old and no problems).But Ive also heard of them doing it on other bikes.Most mere mortals are not doing what the experts are doing on there bikes.

What about all those buckled rims in the corner are you going to blame them on Scorpa?

What are all these other problems on Scorpa's?

Yeah all bikes break at certain times some just break more than others.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a similar problem to you, how to decide which bike to buy????

I've ended up ordering a new 08 scorpa 250f.

I had a list of things to consider to help my choice

build quality, reliability, mudgaurd prices, looks, parts backup, known faults, maintenance,2 stroke or 4 stroke,etc

Try making a list of whats most important to you!!

I've ridden my friends new 08 rev3 270 and i think it is an awesome bike, i was there when he cleaned the carb which was a bit of a potch but no worse than some i've done in the past!!!

I decided to try a 4 stroke this year and was very hard to decide which one!! all the new bike are so good these days but each make has niggly traits!!!

you need to try as many as you can.

Good luck on your quest!!! :banana2:

Ridgerunr..

It could be your perception of the scale of any trials bike problems rather than the faults themselves.

What I mean is..look at the retirements for any trial and I bet only a microscopic portion of those retirements are down to mechanical failure.

Here's a post you won't see very often on any web-site;

Hello all ,just letting you know my bike runs great and I have competed in a trial this week (or had a great practice session) :banana2:

I appreciate all your input guys. I've gone back though all of these posts a couple of times and it's obvious that everyone has their favorites (mostly what ever they happen to be riding at the moment :banana2: ). I realize that most of the posts in the forums are guys looking for help eith problems. We don't hear much about the bikes unless there's a problem. Maybe we need a forum where guys can post about the remarkable ride they had.

Right now I'm not in the postition to ride any of the bikes, but I have the cash, and want a new bike when I get home. So I got into the web, went through the web sites I could find and did some serious investigation into what each of the brands had to offer. I put down on paper what I was looking for, then did a Pro's and cons sort of elimination.

After doing the research it surprised me to discover that the bike that made the most sense for me was the one I least expected...the Scorpa ...the one I thought looked old. So I called the guy and it turned out it was a little old, a 2002 that had been ridden hard for five years with almost no problems at all :banana2: . The Yamaha motor sealed it, I mean I've had four TY250's, and a TY350. That TY350 was one of the most fun bikes I've ever owned! Suddenly I looked at the Scorpa with completely different eyes. Just looking at it, it looks a little quirky, ( I discovered thos funky fuel tank cut outs aer to help the air flow for cooling through the radiator. But quirky was one of the things I loved about my 94 Fantic KRoo, it was different than what most of the guys were riding.

It's weird, but suddenly I'm excited about a bike again. Haven't done that since I ordered my '99 GG TXT321. I'd never ridden one of those either, but it was great for eight years. So for better or worse, I'm going to put in an order for a 2008 SY250 for next spring.

Anyway, thanks for helping me get fired up again :banana2: .

Ridgrunr,

Congrats on finding a bike , good to see you are excited about a bike again.

When I was younger I had a TY80 and TY175 and I tried like hell to break the motors in those bikes and just couldn't do it.

Have fun when it arrives. :banana2:

Ridgrunr,

If you've found a bike that makes your heart beat a little faster and puts a smile on your face you win. I wish you many years of trouble free play and may you only need to pick up a wrench when you buy it a present like a titanium muffler. If you come to New England I hope we can go riding.

Dan

I've ridden my friends new 08 rev3 270 and i think it is an awesome bike, i was there when he cleaned the carb which was a bit of a potch but no worse than some i've done in the past!!!

In many postings I see, mostly from folks in the UK, bikes are looked down upon based upon how hard it is to get to the carburator. This is generally in reference to how hard it is to "clean the carb".

Then, in this posting, I see where you friend's 2008 Rev3 needed it's carb cleaned. A brand new bike needs it's carb cleaned?

What is it that you guys do to make a bike need its carb cleaned so much? Other then when restoring a vintage bike, or such, I never have to clean a carburator. Not on a modern bike, and certainly not on a new 2008 bike. Unless you leave a bike sitting for a year, and let the gas go bad and gum things up, why would your carb need cleaning?

I mean the way most of these posting read, you should never own a Beta or a Scorpa, because it is too difficult to do your weekly carb cleaning.

What gives with all the carb work?

They are just being diligent and watching their carbs......Get it :banana2:

I have yet to clean my carb(this year). Though I make up for it with cleaning the airfilter everyride and running good gas.

Is it the fuel you get in the UK?

Edited by motofire

What gives with all the carb work?

For you guys across the pond there now follows a quick guide to this seemingly unnecessary chore.

Us English/Scottish/Irish/Welsh* like to fettle/tinker/preventively maintain our bikes whilst drinking tea/scotch/Guinness/leek juice* as it gives us a warm glow inside and gives us an excuse for not mowing the lawn/hating the English/cutting peat/chasing sheep*

Most of the time the carb is found to be clean inside but unless you have a look, how can you be sure?

Bit like the light inside the fridge, does it really go out every time you shut the door or is it on all of the time, you can never be really sure so now and again you have to have a look.

* Delete where applicable

You'll be happy buying a scorpa sy, i've had four and never had to touch them apart from servicing!!!

I went from a 03 sherco 290 to 01 scorpa sy and instantly rode far better and it converted me for a few years!!!

I am not that biased , as i've had just about all the bikes - txt's, techno's, 314r's, 315r's, pros, rev3's, sy's,shercos, fantics old and new and a lot of others!!! :banana2:

so i've rode most bikes.

Thats the thing when buying a new bike they are all very good bikes these days so it makes the choice harder! :banana2:

Edited by hop blip and a jump

That is a great bike! Reliable! Very flexable as well. Heavy or light flywheel, longride or regular. Good ride! Love you long time!

I did hear that prices are taking another jump with the exchange rates as with them all. Don't wait! :banana2:

For you guys across the pond there now follows a quick guide to this seemingly unnecessary chore.

Us English/Scottish/Irish/Welsh* like to fettle/tinker/preventively maintain our bikes whilst drinking tea/scotch/Guinness/leek juice* as it gives us a warm glow inside and gives us an excuse for not mowing the lawn/hating the English/cutting peat/chasing sheep*

Most of the time the carb is found to be clean inside but unless you have a look, how can you be sure?

Bit like the light inside the fridge, does it really go out every time you shut the door or is it on all of the time, you can never be really sure so now and again you have to have a look.

* Delete where applicable

I like that explanition! :banana2: