50 Years Of Bultaco

greeves

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Woody, thanks for the detailed explanation - much appreciated. I love the look of Bultaco's but maybe the Fantic is a better bike to ride or I could go for a cheap Mont' while they are still relatively cheap. An old 4 stroke would be perfect :)

Greeves, at the time of posting I didn't realise that asking how much a bike 'like' that costs would be considered taboo or rude. Judging by the initial lack of replies, it was obviously akin to asking a lady how old she is. No offence intended.

I'm not interested in buying an older bike and trying to make a profit, nor am I too keen to do a full restoration due to lack of time and skills. Ideally, I would buy something that looks ok and runs right - that way, I wouldn't be too worried about damaging a gorgeous old bike.

You need to work in the Betor sliders to modify them and fix the clamps.

Do you know if the clamps are from a specific model - GasGas, Beta, Montesa ? and if so from which year?

The clamps I tried were from a 98? GasGas but the inside diameter was too small for the Betor forks. Maybe the work is to machine the outside diameter of the Betor fork to make it smaller to fit the clamp - or machine the clamp to make the inside bigger - or both... I think I still have the clamps somewhere but it was a long time ago. If I can find them I'll have another look at the sizes.

Greeves, at the time of posting I didn't realise that asking how much a bike 'like' that costs would be considered taboo or rude. Judging by the initial lack of replies, it was obviously akin to asking a lady how old she is. No offence intended.

I'm not interested in buying an older bike and trying to make a profit, nor am I too keen to do a full restoration due to lack of time and skills. Ideally, I would buy something that looks ok and runs right - that way, I wouldn't be too worried about damaging a gorgeous old bike.

I know you did not intend to offence. Don

The clamps I tried were from a 98? GasGas but the inside diameter was too small for the Betor forks. Maybe the work is to machine the outside diameter of the Betor fork to make it smaller to fit the clamp - or machine the clamp to make the inside bigger - or both... I think I still have the clamps somewhere but it was a long time ago. If I can find them I'll have another look at the sizes.

This is exactly the work you have to do. Choose model and adapt it.

Woody, thanks for the detailed explanation - much appreciated. I love the look of Bultaco's but maybe the Fantic is a better bike to ride or I could go for a cheap Mont' while they are still relatively cheap. An old 4 stroke would be perfect :)

I'm sure this will drive someone crazy when you talk about the prices of trials bikes but there is someone over here trying to sell an 86 Beta and is having no luck. I think this is because, especially in the PNW there is no real twinshock class to even compete in. It's a bit different on the other side of the country, what with the ITSA.

This guy started out at US$1500 (

So, how much is a bike worth? It goes back to how much someone is willing to spend. :)

I belive it depends in:

1.- Number of times a year you can use it. There are no trials for aircolled monoshocks, so nobody wants them. In Spain there are some people buying this kind of bikes now that there are cheap, as they belive they will be the classics in the future. For Twinshocks there are plenty of trials, and also for Pre-65, so everibody wants this kind of bikes and nobody the "old" moderns.

2.- The money you put in a good bike is allways the same, maybe you can "do it yourself", but at last time + spares cost the same to all of us. It depends in how good you want the bike, and more important, how much you want to work on it.

It is not the same to have a bike made by somebody like El Puma, where all works properly and perfect, and if you have any problem he will fix it for you, you only need to clean it, fill it with petrol and check the tyres pressure for the first 2 years. Better than buying a new one in the 70

3.- How rare that bike is. Montesas Cota 247 is a nice and good bike, but thera are thousands for sale. Matchless is a rare bike indeed and impossible to find, better to talk with your bank if you intend to buy one, maybe you need some extra money....

That depends which bank...especially when discussing Matchless's :)