How Do You Look After Your Boots...

ksv

there's no wonder there are so many mechanical questions on here about bikes stopping at trials, everybody spends all week in the garage on thier boots ! :mellow:

i have an old road cone just

turn them upside down boots that is and stick them over the cone

come uo spotless.

now thats a great idea, i shall have one of those on the way home from the pub tonight !

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However if you want to do a proper job. Jet wash (not too close) leave to dry 'au nature' and a good rub with some dubbin.

What this man said! I work in a boot factory and that is the advice I give to people. I also find that sometimes too much love is as bad as too little! I often get walkers who wax their boots religously and the leather cracks far sooner than boots that aren't cared for as well.

I also often use a wax (G-Wax) rather than an oil. The wax tends to sit on top of the leather protecting wheras the oil works its way in. The oil does soften more but who wants to be wearing soft italian loafers when you need protection? I use oil mainly in the breaking in period and then switch to wax.

Leather is damn sturdy, the big rule is to never force dry it with a heater or anything.

Am I the only one who just swats them in the garage as they are and just swat them back on my feet when I next go riding?

Tom

No! Mine come out of the truck, and straight to the garage wall, next to bike and gas can. Time to ride, they all go back in the truck. My first pair of Gaerne lasted 6 years like that, and even then they had a lot of life left. Gave them to a friend that had no boots (still going strong) and broke out my second pair, which I purchased along with the first, never expecting that they would last that long!

Neatsfoot oil is the best for softening and conditioning the leather, it also partially waterproofs it too.

The last pair of natural finish Hebos I had were treated religiously after every trial. I pressure washed them lightly, put them next to the boiler overnight, then painted them with Neatsfoot oil. They were as comfy as trainers and pretty well waterproof.

In a couple of months I'd so badly bruised both feet that it was affecting my riding. After that they got pressure washed with the bike, spent a night next to the boiler, then were put back in the boot bag. keeping them slightly damp kept them supple enough, they probably got oiled every 2-3 months.

That way they protected my feet but were soft enough to ride comfortably, the permanent damp meant that the stitching rotted / gave up after a couple of years. Also in the winter they had frost in them - not so nice.

I can put up with that rather than damaged feet (feet take ages to heal)

Now I buy cheap boots (Diadoras) and supplement them with MOD surplus waterproof socks

After a trial i preasure wash mine ,i have an old road cone just

turn them upside down boots that is and stick them over the cone

come uo spotless.Then put dubbin on them job done!

"And tonight on crimewatch, Police are baffled by a speight of Road cone thefts" :)

Hose them down when I do the bike,let them dry in the garage then every third or fourth outing rub them with supermarket own brand(cheeeeaaap!) neutral shoe polish.

I don't use anything in aerosol form (WD40,furniture polish etc..) as it seems to rot the stitching.