Standing Start Technique Help Please!

tombo46

Take a look at my video of me getting up a rock with my front wheel against it, Ive slowed it down so Its easier to analyze what im doing wrong!

Ive been trying to do these for about 3 weeks now and im struggling to get rear wheel height. is this because my front wheel isnt low enough? If I lower it down I struggle to get any forward momentum and I end up just landing on the sump. I Noticed on the video that Im not getting that "spring" that Id get If I hit the rock rolling, Is this because the front wheel is rolling forward when I jump?

Please take a look at the video and tell me where Im going wrong!

Any advice would be much appreciated =]

All the best

Tom

Looks like you might be concentrating too much on getting your bum backwards. I reckon not so far backwards, but more of a jump downwards as you let the clutch out. Looking at your back suspension your silencer never goes below the level of the tyre. I reckon you need to get more compression on that suspension just as you go.

Take a look at my video of me getting up a rock with my front wheel against it, Ive slowed it down so Its easier to analyze what im doing wrong!

Ive been trying to do these for about 3 weeks now and im struggling to get rear wheel height. is this because my front wheel isnt low enough? If I lower it down I struggle to get any forward momentum and I end up just landing on the sump. I Noticed on the video that Im not getting that "spring" that Id get If I hit the rock rolling, Is this because the front wheel is rolling forward when I jump?

Please take a look at the video and tell me where Im going wrong!

Any advice would be much appreciated =]

All the best

Tom

I'd personally go a little lower and then force the front end into the rock as i set of so it kicks you up a little more, hard to explain but if I'm up their anytime soon I'll show you what i mean. Unless your up at Bracken Rocks on sunday??

Helmet would be good.

proper safety gear no matter how good you are will give you a boost of confidence to really "give it a go"

At least I notice a difference even when I am doing "easy and mundane" techniques.

also agree need more downward push with your body to load up the suspension, not so much rearward motion.

Think of it like a Pogo Stick. Just as you "pop" the clutch jump up.

Just my thoughts

I agree with zippy,Maybe when you begin to move yourself foward,you should compress the rear suspension,that way you might be able to launch yourself and the bike higher. :lol: .

What you are doing looks good though :rolleyes:

Edited by dabomb

thanks for the reply =] ill take it all on board this sunday, as for the helmet, Id pretty much finished riding, so came up from the van to find my friend.

started pratting around like you do and then carried on riding, only realised I didnt have my helmet on when I looked back at the video!

rest assured I very rarely ride without a helmet.

Thanks again =]

Tom

tombo46 Posted Today, 05:28 PM

thanks for the reply =] ill take it all on board this sunday, as for the helmet, Id pretty much finished riding, so came up from the van to find my friend.

started pratting around like you do and then carried on riding, only realised I didnt have my helmet on when I looked back at the video!

rest assured I very rarely ride without a helmet.

Thanks again =]

Tom

DOH!!!!!!

I too am guilty of such a thing.

sssssshhhhhhhhhh don't tell my kids, I preach safety gear like a televangelist. :lol:

Your suspension did not compress, which is the entire purpose of getting up and back to load it. You must come down on it before you go up.

A bit more verticle surface may help as well, as when you are able to drive into it will get better action on front compression and helps load rear. Tire patch about axle height I think. Just a bit deeper motion with the legs. Work those quads! :lol:

Clutch is full pop on this, be quick to stay with the bike!

One thing I have seen the good lads do is: -

They have the front wheel a tad lower than you would expect, then they push the forks in but don't let them rebound out again (brakes, binding angle or summat?)

Then whey they go for it, the front forks rebound instead of the front wheel just rolling to the top...

OK, I can't do it. But I'm gonna try try it. But after watching the vids and reading what they have to say the mob might be right. And if you think about the mechanics it makes sense.

When you squat you have your derriere right over the back of the bike. Past the rear axle. This would cause the front of the bike to rise but not compress the rear suspension as much as neccessary. Try moving your backside forward 6 inches.

some really helpful advice here, thanks alot.

Its all a bit pointless though really! im never going to enter a trial where its nessisary anyway, been riding 10 months and only done a couple of trials, all of which even the experts would never have to use this technique.

good fun though =]

Tom