Tube In A Tubeless Wheel

gazzaecowarrior

Gday, my Techno rear has had a tube in it for over 3 years, no problems, apart from a valve cap failure... Mind you I ride the back end of C grade so Im not that hard on the bike. You still need to cover the spokes up with a rim band or tape etc.

Cheers,

Stork

gazzaecowarrior,

I've been doing this for years iwth my rear tyres for 2 reasons

1. Its the only way I can get the tyre on the rim with my old compressor.

2. Same experience as you my rim always leaked even after silicone and rim tape.

If your really worried that the tube may take some abuse you can always gey a heavy duty inner tube.

Why not just fix the problem.

Take off the rim tape and clean up the rim. Put plenty of grease on the rim covering all the spoke ends and coat the underside of the new rim tape and replace. Some will recomend using Sikaflex to stick the rim tape on instead. The choice is yours.

Beats messing with a tube and your tyre performance will be improved. They are made tubeless for a reason!!

Take off the rim tape and clean up the rim. Put plenty of grease on the rim covering all the spoke ends and coat the underside of the new rim tape and replace. Some will recomend using Sikaflex to stick the rim tape on instead. The choice is yours.

Beats messing with a tube and your tyre performance will be improved. They are made tubeless for a reason!!

Agree fix the problem, do a search on the forums there has been plenty of discussion on this topic with plenty of knowledgable people with different ideas some may work some may not! There are several solutions to leaking rims and all have been discussed; me personally I have used Sikaflex in the past with 100% success.

Edited by GIZZA5

I appreciate your opinion but the reason I want to go for a tube is more economical than performance related. I don't have a compressor to inflate the tyres to get them to sit on the rim and my local shop charges me

I appreciate your opinion but the reason I want to go for a tube is more economical than performance related. I don't have a compressor to inflate the tyres to get them to sit on the rim and my local shop charges me

Hi there,

I agree that it is best to fix the leak problem - at home should be possible. I have twice managed to bead out a tubeless tyre (on a GG) with a high volume hand pump (I was amazed, only managed with a foot pump before). Thorough cleaning usually works well before assembling, then try the Sikaflex. Check for leaks with a bowl of soapy water and a brush.

If you do fit a heavy duty tube, the only problem is when you smack into the edges of larger rocks, where you can nip the tube and get a compression puncture.

Bye, PeterB.

I've always managed to seat a bead with a double barrel footpump and tyre soap as long as the rim is nice and clean. However, I have just bought a compressor. There is a bargain to be had at Screwfix at the moment that I'm siure is a mistake, so fill yer boots lads!

http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;jsession...fh_search=95294

I got mine yesterday and it really is a 2HP compressor and it really did come with all the tools, and they really did charge me less than 60squid...

:thumbup: