Towbar Mounted Rack?

txt_280

Just bought a Dave Cooper 4x4 rack and have to give a big :wub: . I placed the order lunchtime Monday and it was delivered before lunchtime today (wed).

Build quality is very good and took about 20 mins to fit and adjust to bike wheel base. It literally takes seconds to remove rack from the vehicle and is a great option rather than faffing about with the trailer.

I would definately recommend these racks to anyone.

Repsolypf

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

has anyone got one of these on a van? i have an enduro bike also and it wont fit in the back of a connect, would be nice to hear if anyone has any problems as the enuduro bike is more bulky, does it rub on the bodywork anywhere?

thanks

has anyone got one of these on a van? i have an enduro bike also and it wont fit in the back of a connect, would be nice to hear if anyone has any problems as the enuduro bike is more bulky, does it rub on the bodywork anywhere?

thanks

The other aspect of carrying a bike on the back of your vehicle is load that you are placing on the ball. I would say that most vehicles would have the permissible weight on the ball exceeded by carrying a Trials bike let alone an Enduro. Now there'll be a healthy safety allowance on the permitted load but if you have a bump & plod is smarter than average, you may have a problem. I carry a bike on the back of a traditional 4x4 that's up to the job, if I drove a car I'd use a trailer.

used a rack on the back of a polo and a punto. no probs fitting the things on and off in no time. needs zero storage space. stuff all fits in boot whilst your on the bike.

down sides are bike can get mucky going to trials ( but then trials aint no concours) when removed before selling from the polo noticed that the tow bar mounting pints had dented the boot floor a fair bit, but it was 10 years old by then so no probs ( wouldnt want it on a NEW car)

defo worth doing especially if you can pick one up second hand.. dont forget to get a proper lightboard with reg no. and a pair of really decent ( minimum 30mm wide) rachet straps. dont spend 5 quid on straps to hold a 3 grand bike on!

Used a rack to carry a trials side car outfit on the back of a Vauxhall Astra Max.

It was used most weekends for about two years, and travelled all over the country. We used to secure a strap to the roof bars, and hang the chair over the rear of the van. Never had a problem and the main advantage is that you can drive at higher speed A trailer drops your speed down if you stick to the legal speed limit.

used a rack on the back of a polo and a punto. no probs fitting the things on and off in no time. needs zero storage space. stuff all fits in boot whilst your on the bike.

down sides are bike can get mucky going to trials ( but then trials aint no concours) when removed before selling from the polo noticed that the tow bar mounting pints had dented the boot floor a fair bit, but it was 10 years old by then so no probs ( wouldnt want it on a NEW car)

defo worth doing especially if you can pick one up second hand.. dont forget to get a proper lightboard with reg no. and a pair of really decent ( minimum 30mm wide) rachet straps. dont spend 5 quid on straps to hold a 3 grand bike on!

Good point about the straps, I personally wouldn't use straps with the S type ends as they can pop off if the cars bounces.

• 2 weeks later...

I use Dave Cooper rack all the time also with a trailer if i'm carrying 4 bikes and i have had a husqvarna TE610, xt600,xt350,ts250x,cb360 and numerous other small trail bikes on it , thou not recommended by Dave Cooper but it carried them on my citroen xantia estate without a problem but i also strap the heavier bikes from the roof also to give them more support

Dave

I am interested for that Rack but I cant buy it here in my country and I am thinking about to make one! Could some one take a good pics of it with some details, it would be grate help for me! I have tried to find some on net and on Dave's site but there are no good angle pics!

The other aspect of carrying a bike on the back of your vehicle is load that you are placing on the ball. I would say that most vehicles would have the permissible weight on the ball exceeded by carrying a Trials bike let alone an Enduro. Now there'll be a healthy safety allowance on the permitted load but if you have a bump & plod is smarter than average, you may have a problem. I carry a bike on the back of a traditional 4x4 that's up to the job, if I drove a car I'd use a trailer.

I think plod will be the least of your worries - If some nutter drives into you from behind will the insurance cover your

Edited by overthehill