Whats A Better Bike 2003 Sherco 290 Or 1999 Gas Gas 270?

maverick_monster

The 03 sherco!

Not a biased opinione but definantely the sherco.... Its newer, therefore you should have less problems, Sherco have only changed there models slightly so most parts are still available... the gassers changed many times and will be harder to get parts for.

If you find it to powerful its easier to make it smoother where as it will be harder to make the 270 more powerful!

Edited by shercoman2k8

I've never ridden the Sherco so cannot comment but a friend of mine who was new to trials but had ridden road bikes for many years wanted a trials bike.He was talked into a 270 gasser as he was a bit heavy and tall.The guys in the shop he bought it from must have been laughing for days after.The gasser was great fun for blasting up hills and pulling big wheelies,but in a section,forget it.The power came on and off like a switch.Far too powerful and uncontrollable.

If you want to take up trials,save your cash and find a good 200 beta.

Edited by davieboy

STOP STOP...no more Sherco is better than Gasser is better than Montesa etc etc etc.

Each has their merits and the best advice you'll get is to try as many different makes as you can before you decide. While a Sherco might suit Shercoman2k8 his advice might be pointless to you if you don't like it. Only you can decide what's right for you. When you've decided the look for the best value bike you can get, which has been well looked after and maintained. You'll see if you read through the bike specific forums which little foibles each brand of bike has.

A few rules when buying a trials bike:

1. Ride both bikes!

2. Re-read rule #1

3. Both Sherco and GG brands are great (I assume equal) riding in sections.

4. The newer the bike (generally) the better it will last! I myself wouldn't look forward to the quality level of a ten year old Spanish trials bike, but maybe that's just me. A 5 year-old Montesa...I could live with that, reliability-wise.

5. Try to buy a bike that's 2 years old or less (fewer mechanical problems, usually)...do whatever it takes short of robbing a bank to get the extra money to buy the newest bike you can.

6. Find out how much it was ridden, and by whom. Was it, for example, ridden by a little old lady on Sundays to patrol her tulip patch, or by a 5-rides-a-week guy who loves to practice 6-foot rock ledges until he finally makes it, etc.?

7. How well YOU MAINTAIN it after your purchase is likely more important than which bike you choose in the first place, as far as reliability goes.

STOP STOP...no more Sherco is better than Gasser is better than Montesa etc etc etc.

Each has their merits and the best advice you'll get is to try as many different makes as you can before you decide. While a Sherco might suit Shercoman2k8 his advice might be pointless to you if you don't like it. Only you can decide what's right for you. When you've decided the look for the best value bike you can get, which has been well looked after and maintained. You'll see if you read through the bike specific forums which little foibles each brand of bike has.

In this case an 03 sherco is generally better bet than an 99 gasser, if they are both in similar nick.

03 sherco versus 03 gasser is a personal preference.

A sherco is easy to work on and very similar to the current bike. The gas gas has changed at least twice since the model you refer to.

If you're new to trials the #1 modification (just do it!) is to get the black (SLOWER) throttle-assembly, if the previous owner still has the white version on the bike.

Also, unless you are quite heavy, a 200 cc bike (as mentioned) is the best choice to start out with. A 250 is reasonable too. A 300 cc GasGas Raga version (for example), would be INSANE for a newbie to buy! My "newbie" dad was contemplating just such a purchase, and I'm glad he didn't buy it. A great bike for a Champ Class national, or certainly world, rider, however.

Think about it, CABESTANY, rides a Sherco 290 (I think), and he's going up 8-foot near-verticle ledges starting from a dead stop (needs incredible power to do that)....a newbie won't be doing that!

At least TRY a 200 cc bike before you buy a near 300 (290) cc bike!

The TOP two EXPERTS in our local group even made a point of avoiding the 300 cc model....a bit more bike than they prefer to handle, even for local expert sections. That should tell you something.

When you're at least in the "Advanced" class (or whatever they have in your area), then THAT'S the ideal time to check into maybe buying a 270-290 cc bike. But some folks disagree with me.

You can talk to your local trials mechanic about ways to maybe reduce the power of the bike, however. Different gasket, I think.

OK for the record:

The 1999 Gas Gas 270 is a 270cc motor.

The 2003 Sherco 2.9 is a 270cc motor. (2.9 or 290 just a marketing ploy to make it sound bigger)

Beta is the only manufacturer to have a 290cc motor and that is with the new EVO 2 stroke.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks for the advice. Both bikes are in great condition, I am leaning more toward the the gas gas though because its cheaper. I only want a cheaper bike because I am going to really get into this and while I am learning I don't want to be holding back because I am afraid to damage the bike and ruin its value. If I get a cheaper/older bike then I wont be holding anything back. Im sure after a few years Ill step it up with a much newer one. I was just curious if there are any great advancements between the two that would make me want the 03 sherco rather then the 99 gas gas. If they are going to be near identical to a beginner then the cheaper is the better route to take. So if you know of any reasons to get one or the other then please let me know soon because I am possibly buying the gas gas very soon.

Thanks for the advice. Both bikes are in great condition, I am leaning more toward the the gas gas though because its cheaper. I only want a cheaper bike because I am going to really get into this and while I am learning I don't want to be holding back because I am afraid to damage the bike and ruin its value. If I get a cheaper/older bike then I wont be holding anything back. Im sure after a few years Ill step it up with a much newer one. I was just curious if there are any great advancements between the two that would make me want the 03 sherco rather then the 99 gas gas. If they are going to be near identical to a beginner then the cheaper is the better route to take. So if you know of any reasons to get one or the other then please let me know soon because I am possibly buying the gas gas very soon.

They won't be "near identical". Regardless of brand, a lot happened between 1999 and 2003. Clutch action/engagement improved. Brakes improved as most bike shifted from single piston, to dual piston, on the front. The disks themselves were improved, going from plain flat and round, to more of a wave style, with cutouts, etc. These are general changes that happened across all the brands, but specific to your question, the 99 Gas Gas and 03 Sherco will not be near identical. And, if your worth your salt, at all, it will not be "a few years" before you are going to be lusting after a newer bike.

As a beginner, I would go with the cheaper bike (given that it is in good condition). That '99 GG is capable of so many things that it will take a typical trials rider a long time to even begin to learn what it can do. I have several video tapes of the experts/champs competing on these machines in '98/'99. They are doing way more difficult stuff than our Advanced (2 steps up from Novice) club riders are doing on brand new 2008 machines.

As far as power goes, just keep your left index finger on the clutch at all times, no matter what. If the bike starts to get away from you, or you feel out of control, just pull in the clutch, and the power stops. Its that simple.