Dont Use Iris Chains

lee harris

i didnt want to believe the horror stories. They are not too expensive and gold but....

I know its has been said before, but 4 hours?? The dealer would hide behind the "no garantee" on competition parts. And a 240 fanny for gawds sake. No steps, no clutch dropss

be warned

DSCF6115.jpg

At least it's got a pretty logo on each link ;)

Not good! But what is considered a good chain these days? I always like Regina and Reynolds but there are many more now, DID etc etc.

Good for discussion though as it's one thing we all need whether classic or modern trials.

Wayne....

You should perhaps try being a little more forceful with the dealer. Competition parts or not Iris should have some warranty even if limited in place.

Looking at the pic the break does seem quite close to being aligned with the peening on the rivets.

Even if not all Iris Chains are inherently faulty you have found one that failed too soon.

Wayne...

Edited by wayne_weedon

That chain looks slightly older than 4 hours to me.

Yes, I know you're probably gonna think Im a right tit for saying that....but if its true, then I'm with you. I'd be pretty p***ed of if mine broke after 4 hours.

I've had one break on me as well actually, but I'd had it for quite a while so wasnt too miffed.

It does look like a fair bit of wear.

I wonder what size engine sprocket the original poster is using? Are the points of the countershaft nut interfering with the chain? Can happen with small sprockets. Probably would cause premature chain failure too.

Wayne...

A break isnt good at all. IRIS have always been at the cheap end of the market and they wear real bad but ive never had a break.I wouldnt dream of putting one on a bike that i used often. The dealer should do something about it to get your business again.

Ditto

ditto again.I`ve used iris without any problems.Now using Regina.Maybe the iris chain at the start of this topic was a cheaper version,prices vary.Dont Iris do a chain that costs more money?and didnt Dougie use Iris?

Sorry, but beg to differ. I have had Iris chains on all the GG Pro,s including latest Raga, never a problem with the chain lasting.

Use whatever chain you want. Personally if I read of recurring problems I try to avoid the potential problem.