Cota 4rt

mr doyle

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trevor (I think) someone who was a john Banks supported riders had one in the eastern centre and used to ride it in the south midlsnd centre a fair bit, can't remember his second name, sorry. Rode it real well and did ok but always struggled on the stuff the 325 bultos and others seemed to power up, lots of deep mud round here, but it always looked such a neat thing, guess it was the time when chromed frames were regarded as the dogs, rather than the paint. The tank and seat was neat also, all in all a neat package which took the basic tl and made it 200cc before the tlr versions I think(?). 200cc would never be a match for a 325 bult in those days though it looked the biz it certainly didn't ride that nice. The steering I think was a bit sharpe and the frame had alot of ground clearence which I guess put the weight up high, and I think it was about the time people were modifying the swinging arm positions and this was fairly traditional, if the memory is right.

A decent rider pal of mine who could ride almost anything tried one for a few events and just couldn't get anywhere with it in the results. I recall a riding session on it and although it had its plus points it was a little different in every area, suspension motor steering riding position etc, which made it feel very awkward with no significant plus points. Remember this was a time when 2 stroke was 99.9% and this had engine braking galore.

I am pretty sure not to many were built, they didn't sell that many.

Edited by Nigel Dabster

Interesting to read that Dabster, thanks.

I know this is off thread now, which I don't approve of, but sod it, everyone else does it and the Mony 4T 'where are they' saga has been done to death. Reason I asked is because I've just bought one in bits to maybe do the ACU Classic on next year. No idea how competitive they are or what they ride like but I've always liked the look of them, as they are cute, so wanted one anyway, even if it is just to look at if it turns out not to be competitive. The motor isn't the TL, it is a purpose built trials motor from Honda Racing, probably based on the XR range. It was used in Honda's own RS200 bike. I think you can get kits to take them to 250. Suspension can be tweaked or altered at the rear and the front is Marzzochi so no problem there. We'll see anyway. Just fancied something different and I like 4 strokes as well as two, but firstly it has to be competitive as the Classic is dominated by modern twinshocks now. Therefore the Majesty is waiting in reserve - the Ossa is hereby pensioned off...

The Trevor that Nigel Dabster is referring to I think he means Trevor Kemp who used to live Bury St Edmunds way. He was deeply involved with Hondas but haven't seen him for years.

Trevor Kemp is president of Silkolene USA and lives in Texas. Silkolene has a great product line and they have been super supportive of our US Montesa team.

Martin Belair

US Montesa

Edited by Martin Belair