Cota 4rt

mr doyle

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To steer and general riding it feels pretty much the same as the 315.

I would of been a full blown Montesero from day one of the 315, but just couldn't get on with the feel of the front end, the bike didn't like me.

Build quality, performance, suspension, all top notch didn't even come into the equation, tried each model year and got the same feel so never owned one.

My 89 RTL way out of date but I have still to find a bike that steered better.

The lads who are switching from the 315 will be as happy as a pig in sheet.

From reading the test rides about the Sherco fourstroke, it's sounds like the same deal, the feel of the bike is like the 2.9, and that's where I'll be when they come out for that reason, the feel of the bike.

Some will buy the new four stroke and the first few weeks it'll be the dog's, after the initial buzz has worn off and it isn't that rare to see them at an event some lads will move back, the biggest factor I think is keeping twostrokes around for those guys who prefer them, the loophole may be for off road use only like MX bikes but at least they will be around.

I'm a fan of the fourstroke but realistically don't expect Sherco or Montesa to be outperforming the two strokes this year in top class events or the club/center rider improving big time, will it stop me buying one, no!! because the level I ride at it doesn't matter a toss and just adds to the enjoyment having a choice of two or four stroke.

I agree with Nigel, what the importer or sponsored rider say will always favour the brand the are connected with, it's thier job.

The true and fair indicator of how good the 4 stroke bikes are, will be sales in 06.

My advise on buying the Mont or any other for that matter, give it a go!! and if you like it buy it.

Guest olly_sherco

I would agree with what ishy said there.

My old man's arrived mid week, we picked it up yesterday. I got my first proper taster of a 4 stroke and I loved it. You can do similar things to the 2 stroke on the level that I am riding anyway. The only thing is that you need to adapt is your throttle control and technique I would say.

After a bit of getting used to it the bike really is quite impressive. It looks the business as well.

Over the next few weeks we will be giving it a proper thrashing, I may even be tempted to say goodbye to the Beta.

Overall I was quite surprised with the 4RT. It was better then what I expected it to be. If you are smooth on the throttle you won't have a problem with it in the slightest. At the end of the day though it is all down to rider preference. Riding styles differ from rider to rider. The bike will work well for some and not so well for others.

As ishy said, if you like it and think your riding will benefit from it, buy it. If not then don't.

Edited by olly_sherco

Nigel, he will say favourable things about the bike yes and so he should , but i believe he has only been riding Montesa for 2 seasons.,if that. Previous to that ,he will Say anyway , he was on the sy and rev-3 i think , so not exactly been a monty man through and through over the years. So no blind faith comments i dont think !

It should be noted that John has been on Montesa for a few years and is a Sandiford supported rider unless I am mistaken?

It should be noted that not everyone here is unbiased.

Some people are very anti Montesa and bleed Sherco blue.

K

Edited by kramer

I hope you are not meaning me as that is simply not true, I do love my Sherco but its not blind faith and when I sold my 04 yesterday I was still waivering as to buying a new 4rt which I may still do when I have thrashed munches bike to within an inch of its life...........

only joking Micky.

I used to ride a 2000 Rev 3 250 and I absolutely LOVED it! It would've been tough to get me to switch. Every time I rode someone's Montesa it felt strange to me. Something just not right about it. Thing is I watched alot of other people who were just thrilled with their Monts. Then came that fateful day. I had just spent a bunch of time and money converting the Beta to 2001 plastics, decals, and a new center muffler, plus bought a new one piece Beta trials suit. The night before a very important event I took my beloved Beta out of the shed and rode it around the driveway for a last minute shakedown before loading it in my van. It was gleaming like a shiny new '01. That's when tragedy struck. It began to run badly like it had fouled a plug and wouldn't rev up cleanly, then within five seconds it quit running alltogether and had no spark. I later found it had a bad ignition module. Anyhow I was very sad, and frustrated. With a quick phone call I threw myself on the mercy of our local trials hero and all'round nice guy, Dennis Sweeten. He agreed to loan me his old tired, badly scathed 2001 Montesa. (which had been ridden in the Goldendale world round) All I had to do was put the rear shock back on as it had been loaned out. I had about ten minutes to get used to the Mont. before the event started, and when I tried to turn a corner on flat ground I was convinced that It didn't turn as well as the Beta. The front wheel seemed to catch traction and come around with such authority that I nearly fell off! It was actually very weird feeling at first. What really surprised me is that I had a terrific result that day and was several places up the list from previous events. By the time that trial was finished, I wouldn't give it back, and I ended up buying it from him. After getting used to the Maytag I rode the Rev again a few times and it just felt so sluggish and awkward. Since then I had a chance to ride the new 2004 Beta and found it to be far better than I had remembered my Beta being. Especially the rear suspension. Anyway I am convinced that if you give yourself a bit more time on a bike you get a completely different impression of it. If you spend a weekend riding any of the current crop of trials bikes, those weird feelings will disappear. It's more a matter of taste and dealer support issues. If you have a good dealer or distributor who takes care of you that is the most important thing to consider when buying a new bike. The rest will fall into place. Jay L

seriously ishy, this bike is very good, especially on loose/slippery rocks, just levels sections the 2 stroke would normally struggle on, although i have not yet mastered the power delivery so there is still room for improvement.

Should be a perfect machine for the Scottish Sunt, only problem I see with the new mont is they can't make em fast enough at the moment.

I'm looking forward to having a ride on one, Dennis, the lad who was over riding the 04 ssdt , he is the parts distributer for Montesa USA, his place is only half hour away, he should have a test bike as soon as they get ower here, great practice area at his house lots of mud and slippery streams.

I don't know if Martin, the US importer is shipping by air or sea, but air is more expensive and adds to the cost, sea takes about three weeks, then costoms, so I doubt I'll even see one this side of the new year.

I don't think in all my time riding trials I have seen a bike stir up the emotions like this one has, for or against, the truth is most of the world hasn't even seen the bugger yet let alone rode one :(

Publicity good or bad is publicity

Edited by ishy