Cota 4rt

mr doyle

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had chance to ride one today, the bike belongs to Bruce Storr AKA Copley Decor who are Sandifords Sponsor.

We were out practicing at the venue where we run the Crackpot Trial, so the sections were real.

All I can say is WOW.

If you're in the que with your money down the wait will be worthwhile.

Suspension is fantastic it just glides up things.

It takes a bit of getting the hang of but once you learn to leave the clutch alone & just wind it on & off it's great. It sort of feels a bit slow to come in & then is very strong but again I'd say this is part of the learning curve & also the lack of noise it makes. I realy can't see the noise being an issue, when you're on it there's less noise than a 2 stroke.

The clutch is probably not how I would like, it seems very on or off almost switch like. I found that when I made an mess of something it was difficult to get out of trouble like I can on my Gasser, again this maybe something that needs practice. The only problem I noticed was the footrests, they seem to be made of crap, first ride up the beck Bruce virtually managed to bend one double, he simply belted it on a rock in passing.

While the Gasser isn't up for sale yet I'll be taking a fair bit of notice as whether people can break anything on them. If I'm lucky enough to get a ride round Fort William next May I'd quite like to do it on a Mont.

I also the lack of noise it makes. I realy can't see the noise being an issue, when you're on it there's less noise than a 2 stroke.

That is really nice and an unbiased report on yer personal findings Perce, ta.!!

The recent B*****ks that people have been spouting recently about the noise was really beginning to grate! Especially when we have quite a few riders round our way on old cubs with zero rear silencer, who seem to make a point of making the blaat blaaaaat noises just for the sake of making a f'ing racket!!

When mine comes im going straight to my acu official sound tester and i'm going to get him to do a sound check on the 4rt compared a 270 beta!! As that really has a pop about it, and makes plenty of noise even with a brand new packed rear silencer!! Im sure that the style of riding will need to be altered , but hey we know that 90% of trials riders dont like change, hence the opposition! Hell, they wont even buy nice bits for their bikes as they are frightened sh*tless of standing out from the crowd!!

Heres to trials , in all it's formats and bikes!! ;)

Had a ride on a Mont 4rt today :lol: Haven't stopped grinning since.

I have a pro and i didn't notice a sizeable difference on the Mont. The clutch was very jerky, on and off, but if you left it alone the bike would just about stop in 1st, 2nd or 3rd then pick up again from dead without any hesitation.

Nuetral was difficult to find but the bike was brand new.

The lad that rode it round the trial said he did everything in first and it was fantastic.

It really sounds lovely and the little quality touches like the rubber mounts the tank sits on are sweet. Footrests don't compare to Hebos but the positioning was fine. The electronic restrictors have to be removed to fit a kill button and the very rear restrictor in the exhaust was removed before i rode it.

Very, very impressed just got to save up then find one now ;)

Just my view on the noise thing, slightly different bike, but i had an 86 Honda RTL250S, and, (whilst watching a friend having a go up a long steep climb) the engine on tick-over would be that quiet that you would have thought that it had stalled, untill the throttle is opened, then it would really come into it's own on the noise level, which was a nice pleasing warm mellow sound, but not as bad as my mates bike that happened to be a 02 Beta 270.

Gaff.

P.S. On the foot peg thing, i always change mine to Hebo's.

Edited by Gaff

Having heard the 4RT and the RTL I'd say the noise is completely different. The RTL is very "honda" 4-stroke. You can hear the engine noise as opposed to the exhaust noise. The 4RT seems to make more exhaust noise which is a gruffer, deeper noise. Its not unpleasant but is rather like a softer version of an MX or enduro bike. It is more however than the noise made by a 2 stroke trials bike when the baffles are intact.

The Beta 270 may be louder but that's irrelevant. It's the frequency and wavelength that determines how far a sound travels and lower frequency sound travels further (and penetrate solid objects more effectively) than higher frequencies. That's why when you walk past a pub all you can hear is the "thump thump" of the bass until you open the door at which point the bass becomes less distinct and the other "instruments" are suddenly much more audible. Decibels aren't the primary factor in determining a sound's ability to carry over distance.

A Rev-3 270 could be twice as "loud" (in terms of dbs) as a 4RT, but if both bikes were stood next to each other being revved hard, it'd be the 4RT that you'd hear most clearly when stood some distance away.

Nice one Neonsurge.

You are absolutely right. Lower frequency sound travels further than higher frequency...and I'm quite sure Im correct in saying that lower frequencies are also more damaging to the ear.

I do know thats NOT what we are talking about though...and I haven't heard a 4rt live..but on the vids on the internet it certainly sounds pretty loud when its revved..and it certainly sounds VERY different to the TL's and RTLs we've got here in Hong Kong. Those old ones you can hardly hear at all..even when you rev their nuts off! :(:D

JR SUNT i'm disappointed in you lad. you rode a trial on the 4rt and your only comment is about r2w's 4.5 kgs.

The Pro is allegedly 69kg and the 4rt 73.8kg.

Does your comment mean you think it feels way heavier?

How do you rate it against your 315?

Spill the beans about your first ride please

4rt will probably be lighter than a Pro when all the restrictors are removed :(

Edited by windlestone

I would love to have a good go on one to see how they perform. The bike seem to balance very nice but I imagine not using the clutch would take some getting used to.

Are there any Montesa dealers planning a test day if not I'll have to bother Marky Boy for a go on his fully stickered up, trick Dougie Lampkin replica. :(

Well after riding the bike twice, i'm impressed. Even better than i expected. To steer and general riding it feels pretty much the same as the 315. I can do everything i could do on the 315 and thats only after riding it twice, still have to learn what the engine does where and when.

The level of grip and tractable power is enormous. It has surprised me the most in both these areas. The power is so tractable, you hardly have to think about getting grip, it just does it for you, if you can stand on it, it'll go virtually anywhere in 1st, 2nd, 3rd gear or 4th in the straight forward sections.

There are some rather large waterfalls where i practice, the 4rt goes up them as well, if not better than the 315, i have had the 4rt beyond the point of no return of the 315, and it just seems to grip, where you'd normally have to jump off the back and bail out, the 4rt will bite into the rock face sending you skyward, its really sureal as its the last thing you expect. first impressions are good, couldn't go back to the 315 now and if there are any faults with them i'll find em.

so JRSunt we get the impression that you like it !!

It's good that we are getting the first impressions of a stronger rider at this stage maybe if we can get impressions across the whole scale of rider we'll get a real guide to the strengths of the bike.

For the completely crap riders view - Mum can I have a new Mont for chrimbo...........................