Sense At Last

dixie

The section wasn't dangerous it was a straight line run over rocks at a step most riders made it up at some point and it even took a few fives of the top guys. However anything can happen in a section and when your wheel kick out and puts you off line its a split second decision to decide what you do next. If it had been full no stop then its right the section would of been up a far bigger rock, but I still think if a moments hesitation had been allowed he would of realized he had no chance or maybe composed himself for a one.

Just been to a stop for a 1 trial this afternoon and most the observers (me included) ended up being very lenient with what a stop was as the sections were pretty tight. The better riders defiantly have the ability to momentarily stop leaving the observer with a brave decision.

Lets go one better and be allowed to get off mid section and have onother look, or fit stabelisers ,Stopping is cheating allways was allways will be,look first then RIDE the section

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets go one better and be allowed to get off mid section and have onother look, or fit stabelisers ,Stopping is cheating allways was allways will be,look first then RIDE the section

Great post, how can it be cheating if the rules currently allow it? Is it cheating because you can't be bothered to learn it? :huh:

Rather like League Football the top trials need income. At Grass roots you get in free although even there in Football and other sports admissions are being charged. I don't think the fees charged at BTC level are stupid. At Brimham it was a fiver a CAR. That's a

Last years rules where a stop was a 1, a dab was a 1, a stop with a dab was a 2, a stop with two dabs was a 3 etc etc was completely ridiculous.

There was little of no consistency to observing under these rules (at club/centre events at least.) The decision to go back to anything goes was a sensible one on the part of the ACU as in most cases that was just what was happening anyhow.

If all trials end up non stop, at least we will all be rinding to the same rules and that has to be a good thing.

Last years rules where a stop was a 1, a dab was a 1, a stop with a dab was a 2, a stop with two dabs was a 3 etc etc was completely ridiculous.

There was little of no consistency to observing under these rules (at club/centre events at least.) The decision to go back to anything goes was a sensible one on the part of the ACU as in most cases that was just what was happening anyhow.

If all trials end up non stop, at least we will all be rinding to the same rules and that has to be a good thing.

Personally I liked stop for a 1 and I think we will be back to it sometime. We would still have it if the world rules hadn't changed to the rubbish rules we have now. However it needed the ACU to lay the law down and get clubs to stick to the rules. Instead they left it to clubs to do what they wanted.

The basic observing system should be printed on each section begins card. Then the observer and riders would know what rules they are using. There are many trials I have ridden where the observers and riders don't even know what rules to use!!!

Personally I liked stop for a 1 and I think we will be back to it sometime. We would still have it if the world rules hadn't changed to the rubbish rules we have now. However it needed the ACU to lay the law down and get clubs to stick to the rules. Instead they left it to clubs to do what they wanted.

The basic observing system should be printed on each section begins card. Then the observer and riders would know what rules they are using. There are many trials I have ridden where the observers and riders don't even know what rules to use!!!

So the ACU were at fault for letting people choose what rules they wanted?

There are many trials I have ridden where the observers and riders don't even know what rules to use!!!

This is so very true, yes you could ask at the start, which never happens 90% of the time, only to find the observers may not know the rules so it dosn't make a great deal of difference? We have occassionally had to recruit first time observers to sit on a section; after a 5 minute observing lesson they are let loose with Board and Pen, sometimes getting a tirade of abuse for putting down the wrong score!!!!

By the way Mark I wasn't a fan of 1 for a dab and 1 for a stop, you rack up your score too quick.......I was on a 3 a few yards into the sections :huh:

Great post, how can it be cheating if the rules currently allow it? Is it cheating because you can't be bothered to learn it? :huh:
I think you will find the rules used to allow it from now on(for a while at least its back to no stop)I could say the same about you hotties are you saying you dont want to learn propper trials ?????

several people have said it is matching the rules to the sections, if you lay out a flowing section you will naturally ride no stop,The rules were only changed inthe first place to suit the few gifted riders that could hop,I understand that all the new lads can do this now because thy had the bikes and rules to let them do so ,I watched kids yesterday while observing that lost marks because they where trying to hop, if they had just ridden the section they would have been clean..

They will learn to hop soon and then say the section is to easy ???? its catch 22, Trials was always about reading the terain deciding on a line they gasing it and going where the bike took you .

Does it really do the sport good to have minders shouting instructions all through a section,and riders balancing waiting for said instruction? I bet dougie could ride just aswel without mart.

I watched kids yesterday while observing that lost marks because they where trying to hop, if they had just ridden the section they would have been clean..

It looks you found your answer yesterday.Im sure the kid's knew they could of cleaned the section without stopping,but they wanted to hop around to master the art,thats how they want to ride.

A few years ago we had a double sided comic style graphic observers sheet made up. It was based on something I picked up years earlier on-line. With one of these and a few minutes at your section before the rider arrived you knew the rules very well and could even refer the the riders to it if you needed back up.

I can't attached a pdf here but if your interested its available in word and pdf format at the bottom of the 'club info' page at www.bamcc.co.uk This could be changed to show any set of rule and observers find it very useful.

I think you will find the rules used to allow it from now on(for a while at least its back to no stop)I could say the same about you hotties are you saying you dont want to learn propper trials ?????

So its not cheating yet then is what your saying? What makes me a hottie? I ride plenty of no stop trials and fully enjoy them when the trial allows it. As for balancing being cheating that's the most ridiculous thing I've heard. My dad and many others I'm sure taught me to balance in the garage before I even did a trial. In fact its often suggested on here in order to help new riders progress. I think you'll find most 'hotties' have learned to ride no stop and are pretty proficient. They've mearly made a choice to progress themselves further. Just because you can't or won't try and learn anything new doesn't make it cheating.

It looks you found your answer yesterday.Im sure the kid's knew they could of cleaned the section without stopping,but they wanted to hop around to master the art,thats how they want to ride.

I dont doupt it for one second never did ,but there are not enough of them,I think i may start another post just slightly off this topic..

This topic is about the benifit to everone of the return to no stop..