Considering A Twinshock

sir dabs alot

Lots of choices out there, but since you have already narrowed it down to two, I would definately go with the TY. Not only because parts are so available, but because they are a great trials bike. I have an Ossa that I like, but it has been costly to keep up. Someday, I will own a 175 TY. Always wanted one. I have recently aquired a Penton Mudlark. Do you see many of them in the UK?

Ah Jonv8 hows the 4st ty going??

At a complete standstill,my Tig welder is a 3phase unit and I've blown up the AVR in the generator that I run it off.(Anyone have a 30kva 3ph transformer regulated alternator OR 1-1 isolation transformer they dont need ? )

Without the Tig working I cant really get the airbox built,till thats done I dont know what room or layout I'll be able to use for the voltage reg etc.Trouble is the TY250 is so reliable its too easy to keep using it - where its been so dry all I've had to do is fill it with fuel and oil the chain for the last 4 trials.......

Why? - They aren't the best of the bunch but they aren't as bad as painted.

If it is in good original condition or has been rebuilt they are very reliable and have some good points. For drums, the brakes are superb, as good as 80s Grimeca brakes, engine is strong and torquey with a wide power band, much stronger than a TY250 which is virtually a bottom gear only bike. KT engine is strong enough to pull 3rd off the clutch up climbs. It is very stable under clutch and brake maneouvering. You can actually hold the KT on clutch and brakes on descents, much better than a Bultaco or Ossa in that respect which squirm all over the place if you try and clutch and brake them. Back suspension works very well with a good paor of shocks, plenty of feel and they grip pretty well in mud too.

Air box seems too restrictive when you look at it and you would think it would stifle the engine. However, it must do a good job as the engine will rev its nuts off but you will very rarely find any muck in it.

Bad points are the front forks aren't the best, typical Jap crap forks of the 70s, under damped and under sprung. They have a nice smooth, even plush action, but they are just too soft. At speed up rock streams they make it difficult to hold on line as the front gets a bit lively. The steering is very slow, like an early Bultaco so once you're off line, they are difficult to get back quickly and it takes more effort to flick the front around when changing line. They are heavier than the Yam as the frame is massively over engineered, as is the rear hub.... Spares are difficult to find but not impossible, there is always something on ebay USA.

They aren't good enough to win a Traditional round on but you can coax one around most of the rounds. Absolutely ideal for the Miller rounds though and they are quite quick on the road.

Out of the KT and Yam, the Yam is the easier bike to ride, the frame is lighter than the KT frame but the engine is heavier so there isn't that much in it overall. Yam steers quicker and better, very similar to an Ossa, naturally, making it quite nimble. Front forks are crap on the TY too, back end probably not quite so good as the KT but not much in it. Brakes on the Yam not as good as the KT. Probably not much in it for grip in the mud, KT may edge it. Spares for the Yam easier to get. Engine on the Yam is fairly flat and you need to run them with no flywheel weight, otherwise they won't have much pull in anything other than bottom gear. KT is a stronger, torquier engine.

Neither of these bikes will put themselves at the sharp end of the results in more difficult events against other twinshocks with riders of equal ability. For B route on most club trials, most classic events outside of the national champioship, the Miller series, either one will do the job, as said before, both have their good and bad points but overall the Yam just shades it as the easier to ride out of the two. However, if you're looking for something that bit different, how many KTs do you see at events as opposed to Yams

Wow, thanks for all of the really great replies.

I'm not against a Bultaco or Ossa. I like both a lot. I know a guy with a KT that is willing to sell me at an affordable price. I always thought the '98 Bultacos were about as pretty as they got. Ossa is great too. I've never ridden either of those two makes, I'm only going by what I have heard and reputation.

I had a '74 Montesa years ago and Ty's and Tl's but have no desire for another TL. I rode a Fantic not long ago that rode great but they seem a little more rare and I'm guessing parts would be as well. I recently rode a TY 250 too and it didn't do anything odd to speak of. I have a moden bike and am just looking for something to try the vintage thing out for a while.

Well, as the owner of a couple of TY250's and a Model 92 Sherpa T, I would sure go for the TY first. The Bul is a great bike and a ball to ride but (at least I) have not been able to make it a "first kick starter" all the time. That becomes a real issue in a Trial. Mine is an older model so it is a bit heavy. Sure has all the power you would ever need. The TY's are tame, start 1st kick every time, seem to have no problems and I have been able to get any parts I want either used off Ebay or new from several suppliers. Also parts for the TY are much less expensive.

My .02

Alan

• 3 weeks later...