Just A Thought

ishy

It's pretty slow, but then it always is for the first few weeks - the last count was a week ago and we were just over the half way mark then. The last two weeks is when everyone panics and sends their forms in, and the bulk entries come in then too so we won't know what numbers we've got until nearer the time. However I do know of quite a few guys who just can't manage it this year with the jobs situation being the way it is, so I reckon there will be quite a few in the same boat....

After reading HL's above post got me thinking how could you boost the entry in years when economy and such may have an effect on the entry numbers.

What if Thur, Fri, Sat, were open for a three day event to fill the ranks of those riders who had gone out of the event in the first three days, even allow them to re enter if they have gone out due to bike failure if they can get their machine sorted.

Some first timers may not want to take on the full trial to start with but may take on three days to see what it's like, and the older riders who think six days would just be too much, may jump at the chance to ride the last three days.

By mid week spectators for the pre 65 have gone home, some other spectators watch the first few days and head off home, it could be a way to get more folk around for the end of the event.

When entries are being balloted out due to over subscription there isn

Edited by ishy

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ishy, as much as I read and often respect a lot of the posts you put on trialscentral.com , I'm afraid I have to say that this Plan B "part-six-days" idea is daft, even if we are in financially strapped times. The SSDT is what it says on the tin - 6 days!! If a rider is not up to 6 days... do the Jersey, Lakes or Manx two day trials or even the Reeth 3 day. 6 = 6!!!

I understand that there are SSDT sustainability issues at the root of your suggestion, but I am sure that you'd agree, reducing the status of the SSDT by turning it into a some-of-this and some-of-that kind of entry, would belittle the event. The SSDT is a tough (but fair) trial... full stop. It needs to remain that way. If you were to allow first timers "who are not up to the full 6 days" in, would you be proposing to let them qualify as "Newcomers" the next year when they decide they are up to it? I wouldn't!! Some people starting mid week would also affect the "early day" scenario too. In short, the whole integrity of what the trial presents to the 6-day rider would be diminished. Do not dilute the sense of what the trial (and completing it) represents. This is the greatest trial in the world let's not forget!! Perhaps organising a mid-week one-day trial (they tried it a dozen or so years ago at Kentallen/Lagnaha) would help although, frankly, that just piles more administrative workload on an already very hard-working Club membership.

The SSDT has been through tough times in the past, most notably in the early & mid - 90's when stopping in the sections, reversing up, hopping and skipping were full-on and resulted in it becoming incredibly hard for the clubman in particular. It was murder in the mid 90's if you couldn't do the tricks (I couldn't then and I still can't now!). Entries suffered as much for that as it did the late '80s/early '90s recession. However, the SSDT Committee rectified the problem by going no-stop and look at the way entries recovered - for the last 8-10 years... ballots every year!

The prospect of seeing depleted entries is a worry, but I think that the Committee are savvy enough to be able to safeguard the trial's future without reducing its worth in the way you suggest might be possible. They are extremely switched on people - just look at the fantastic job they did this year when rain of biblical proportions on the Wednesday threatened to bring proceedings to a halt. They didn't panic - on the Wednesday evening they simply assessed the best and next step to take to safeguard continuation of the trial on the Thursday and produced a fantastic day. I rode again this year and it was incredibly tough at times but the sense of achievement when I finished and the camaraderie that riders developed through the week (when having to help one another carry bikes over rivers or re-start drowned engines) made it one of the best SSDTs I have ridden since I first started in 1987. The Committee were not given enough recognition in my opinion because it could have been an utter disaster - but wasn't... thanks to their reactions.

The threat of low entries will undoubtedly concern them but they will assess things, react and make a decision that will keep the trial "on".

On a lighter final note... perhaps the slow entry situation is down to the fact people are still trying to dry out after last year's epic event!!??!! As HL says, there is plenty of time yet for the greatest trial in the world to fill with entries. :thumbup: Sorry Ishy... :(

Not bad ideas ..however with the value of the pound at its lowest ever we may see more foreign riders than ever before.. it's early days yet regards being able to plan / make the financial commitment in these uncertain times. Incidentally I couldn't believe how little it cost to sponsor a day it must be best advertising deal going for trials trade people.

To tell the truth, if 100 or so riders are not getting in each year due to the ballot, it would take a fair drop off in entries before the numbers were low enough.

Chewy, I don't see it would change the status of the 6 day event, those riding the SSDT going for a special first class award or better are at the sharp end, many are just up for the enjoyment of the weeks holiday in the highlands.

If they had three days for the twin shock crew, do you think it would get an entry large enough to justify doing it ?.

I think in the future an alternative to run along side the main SSDT could be needed to keep the event alive, only time will tell.

It's probably as good a time as any to put the record straight here - entries are slow, but they always are! Year on year there's just a steady trickle of forms, and then in the last fortnight they all pile in at once. We're no slower this year than we were last year, and we were oversubscribed by 100+ then.

That's not to say we won't encounter problems in the years to come - nobody knows what the future brings. However, the day we start mucking about with the traditional SSDT format is the day I quit - this trial has lived as a six-day reliability event for nearly 100 years. There are good times and bad, but if we reach a stage where we can no longer keep the trial going as a six day event, then what's the point in breaking it up into something it isn't? All of us who run this event do so purely for the love of the SSDT - we've grown up with it, our families have been involved for generations, and we get nothing out of it other than the sense of pride on the Saturday night once we've achieved yet another successful Scottish Six Days. I doubt many of us would give up nine months of our own free time each year to put on a three-day holiday for those that can't hack the real thing.

If you want to enjoy a holiday in the Highlands, then you'll always get a warm welcome in Fort William for the other 51 weeks of the year. If you want to face a challenge, pit yourself and your bike against the elements, push yourself to your limits and achieve the finishers award that has been coveted by trials riders worldwide for nearly a century, then get yourself up there at the start of May.

Easy seen you're getting on a bit Ishy - angling for half a trial just because you're getting your pension book is a bit low. :thumbup:

:thumbup: Eee tha's an hard old bag at times, I'll be there providing I get through the ballot and have a good try at every section, wouldn't go if I didn't think I could.

PS I don't think Dabster thought it was a good idea, either he doesn't like Chewy, or he's tekin ****.

Edited by ishy

:thumbup: Eee tha's an hard old bag at times, I'll be there providing I get through the ballot and have a good try at every section, wouldn't go if I didn't think I could.

PS I don't think Dabster thought it was a good idea, either he doesn't like Chewy, or he's tekin ****.

No I'm serious, its the only way I could do (part) of it, and lets not forget trials riders are an ageing species.

Also develop and evolve surely HL, wasn't it a few years back out meant out now it doesn't and you can continue on no award, so some things change for the better?

No I'm serious, its the only way I could do (part) of it, and lets not forget trials riders are an ageing species.

Also develop and evolve surely HL, wasn't it a few years back out meant out now it doesn't and you can continue on no award, so some things change for the better?

Develop and evolve as you will - but it wouldn't be the SSDT and I wouldn't be giving up half my life to run a holiday camp.

Oh, and if you're keen on changing things for the better you could always come and do some observing for us - never mind aging riders, a lack of volunteers is a far more immediate threat to the future of the SSDT.

You'll be wanting us to dish Finishers Certificates out for getting to 3rd Petrol check in the Scott next....................you're talking B*****ks old bean.

After reading HL's above post got me thinking how could you boost the entry in years when economy and such may have an effect on the entry numbers.

What if Thur, Fri, Sat, were open for a three day event to fill the ranks of those riders who had gone out of the event in the first three days, even allow them to re enter if they have gone out due to bike failure if they can get their machine sorted.

Some first timers may not want to take on the full trial to start with but may take on three days to see what it's like, and the older riders who think six days would just be too much, may jump at the chance to ride the last three days.

Unfortunately this would not be feasible..., for starters the rider having made a bona fide entry and makes up the final entry list, once the trial starts on the Monday morning at 07.30 hours, there can be no further rider substitutions, this would invalidate the event insurance and could render the organising club laible to any unfortunate mishaps involving the substituted competitor as it is in direct contravention of the ACU Trial Standing Regulation's and the National Sporting Code.

Sorry, but it simply wouldn't be allowed within the SSDT event.

The only option would be to have a totally separate event under a separate permit and it is not normal for there to be an issue of any trial permits in Scotland during the SSDT week. It is usually kept clear for the SSDT alone!

Big John

Edited: I do remember a year when about three guest riders were allowed to do the Monday run, but they had "entered" the event at the commencement, not part way through the event, just in case anybody says, "well what about the time they......"

Edited by Big John

Whilst on the subject on SSDT entries, and the following came up during idle chat in the workshop end of last week, what or who was the last Twinshock to enter the SSDT ? and would any (foolhardy ?) rider be prepared to give it a go on a twinshock now. Well out of the range of my meagre abilities, but I'd be interesting in helping someone out who did want to give it a go....

Whilst on the subject on SSDT entries, and the following came up during idle chat in the workshop end of last week, what or who was the last Twinshock to enter the SSDT ? and would any (foolhardy ?) rider be prepared to give it a go on a twinshock now. Well out of the range of my meagre abilities, but I'd be interesting in helping someone out who did want to give it a go....

Didn't David Pye ride on a Fantic a year or so ago, can't remember.