Bleeding Transit!

kinell

Thanks for the advice everybody :thumbup: I couldn't be a***d draining the petrol out so I just added 10 litres of diesel.

The airlock must have been between the tank and the fuel filter as it was almost empty when I dropped it out, I filled it to the brim and she fired up after two minutes of cranking the engine over, result!

PS.

I left the N/S injector loose until the engine started proper and then tightened it up. Just filled the tank and took it for a decent run, no ill effects as it seemed to run better than usual :)

Thanks for the advice everybody :thumbup: I couldn't be a***d draining the petrol out so I just added 10 litres of diesel.

The airlock must have been between the tank and the fuel filter as it was almost empty when I dropped it out, I filled it to the brim and she fired up after two minutes of cranking the engine over, result!

PS.

I left the N/S injector loose until the engine started proper and then tightened it up. Just filled the tank and took it for a decent run, no ill effects as it seemed to run better than usual :)

What happened to the Vito?

You have to come up to Fort bill for at least a night or two K, we can gang up on that fat lad with the water bottle.

We were chatting about this today, hoping to come up and take the p*** out of some old bugger wearing the latest wet-weather innovation. We've had the Bart Simpson shorts, steel toed wellys and purple <thwack> latex gloves so far :thumbup:

I think this years fashion will consist of a long anal rectal exam glove that fits over your riding gloves, I hope the wife will let me take new ones, the used ones smelt like XXXT, not found any rain pants to better the Gortex ex military from the army/ navy store.

But I know it

We had an Astra van once and any time we had a starting problem, with diesel not pulling through, we used to spray damp start into the intake and let it churn over on the vapours .....Did I mention I was a lazy b*****d?

I once let my boss borrow my petrol Ford Sapphire(1990 no-cat?) for a journey to Birmingham and he accidentally brimmed the tank with diesel (50/50?) just before setting off :huh: . Like most bosses he's a bit belligerent.

Once on the motorway it started to splutter and rattle below about 4000rpm so he drove in 3rd all the way,stopping frequently to dilute with petrol at every opportunity.

He got there and back just before the exhaust burnt through, it had been on a few weeks!

Diesel..it's the Devils p1**,bourne out of a dumb taxation policy.

• 2 years later...

These things can be worse than a real pig to get started. If you didn't put much petrol in then a good 20 litres of diesel should be ok. You need to get your fuel filter full first, crack injectors off and get someone to crank it for you, tighten each one as fuel comes out (still cranking),get your beautiful assistant to keep accelerator pedal down all the time and when it starts keep it revving for a good 2-3 minutes or it will just use what's in the filter. P.s hope you like the smell of diesel!

***Disclaimer***

This is a typical kinell 'mishap' so I hereby agree to accept all manner of p*** taking, name calling and mental abuse as long as some bugger eventually tells me how to get my van running again :)

The fuel gauge on the old Tranny always shows full so I keep a spare can of diesel* in the back. Yesterday the van coughed, ran, spluttered, ran and then died on me so I topped her up at the side of the road.

The battery ran flat trying to draw fuel so I rang a mate up to help out. My 'bargain' jump leads dripped melted plastic all over their engine bay so a mate of a mate turned up with some heavy duty leads. An hour later and the cow still wouldn't start so we left her for the night.

Had another go this morning with a bag full of spanners and my favourite BFH. I thought it a bit odd that a diesel engine should smell of petrol so I realised my error and added 10 litres of diesel to the mix. I then rather sheepishly rang the AA who promised to turn up within 2 hours**

By 6.30pm, I had had enough so I left the keys under the front wheel and abandoned the van for another night. The AA man eventually turned up*** and the van is now sat outside my house again. A bit of t'internet surfing suggests that: -

a) Diesel engines prefer diesel to petrol

:P Diesel engines don't like air in the fuel system

and

c) I really should stick to Lego and Meccano!

So, does TC have any DIY or Professional mechanics who can tell me how to bleed the fuel system? It's an 02 Transit with a Duratorq engine, 2.0 litre I think. I've drained the fuel filter and cracked open the injector pipe thingys but it just won't fire at all...

*It should have been diesel as it was in a black can but I now reckon it was an old can of unleaded with a 70ml dose of 2 stroke oil!

** 2 hours turned into 6 hours, yes 6 ****ing hours!

*** They call themselves the "4th Emergency Service" My a***!

A small bottle of 2 stroke to a full tank of diesel is supposed to be good for a diesel engine !!

• 1 month later...

All you need to do is use the self prime function.

I use this on various diesel injected vehicles. I would have thought this will apply to yours one way or another.

1.Turn ignition on.

2. Depress accelerator to floor and release (engine not running, only dash lights on).

3. You will probably need in excess of 5 to 15 repetitions and you will hear the electric fuel pump kick in when the computer susses what your doing.

4. Let it whine and whir till it stops when it reaches pressure.

5. Turn key, start engine, drive off.